Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain.....

First.... I know this is the Rants & Raves section. This is why i'm posting it here!!!! Trust that i know i will get flack for this....

I'm confused about how people are gaining weight during the Covid..... Shouldn't people be losing? It would seem to me that with people not having to get up and go to work they would have more time to dedicate to there diet and exercise.

People have been complaining for YEARSSSSS that they don't have time to plan their meal and don't have time to exercise. What about now? What's stopping people from either... growing there on veggies or buying them and having more time to food prep. Also, why aren't people taking the time to exercise more.... walking, running, yoga, stretching..... repurposing those milk jugs and filling them with water/sand. Grab those resistance bands and use them or the exercise equipment you are using as a clothes hanger....... I just really don't understand. Not trying to be mean.... i really just don't understand.

There is no way i'm the only person that has these questions.

Well, I think in some aspects the metal thing comes into play. Living in a drastically changed environment so quickly can do a number on you. Anxiety, depression, boredom, etc. 24-access to both your fridge and your TV/couch, for those with small kids, the lack of non-kid time to do anything else, wariness of going outside for walks/runs, etc...

In my own personal experience, I gained 6 lbs around Feb-March. Reasons? It was probably a combination of laziness and boredom, as well as slacking on weighing and tracking food and exercising. Is it a coincidence that the weight gain coincided with the beginnings of COVID? Maybe, maybe not. I had to refocus and get back to my "regular" habits and with some dedicated effort, I got rid of those effing 6 lbs. For some, given whatever circumstances they find themselves in, it may be more difficult for them. Just like before WLS, people would question why did we gain so much weight? Why do you even need WLS? Can't you just diet and exercise?

Same questioning, just different circumstances.

So for all those out there who are finding themselves with the COVID-19-lbs-weight-gain, try as best as you are able to get back to what you were doing when you were successfully losing weight. You did it before, you can totally do it again. Addressing a 10-20 lbs weight gain now is alot more manageable than 50 later.

Good Luck everyone, and stay safe ❤️

you are soooo awsome.....

It's not just here, it on FB pages too. i just keeping hearing..... "i gained XXX lbs. due to covid".... I never was a boredom eater.... i've always been a grazer....

Guess i'm lucky that i'm not stuck in the house like some people. My husband is and he has deff. put on a few. but i would never tell him that. and he is not a WLS patient.

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Well, I think in some aspects the metal thing comes into play. Living in a drastically changed environment so quickly can do a number on you. Anxiety, depression, boredom, etc. 24-access to both your fridge and your TV/couch, for those with small kids, the lack of non-kid time to do anything else, wariness of going outside for walks/runs, etc...

In my own personal experience, I gained 6 lbs around Feb-March. Reasons? It was probably a combination of laziness and boredom, as well as slacking on weighing and tracking food and exercising. Is it a coincidence that the weight gain coincided with the beginnings of COVID? Maybe, maybe not. I had to refocus and get back to my "regular" habits and with some dedicated effort, I got rid of those effing 6 lbs. For some, given whatever circumstances they find themselves in, it may be more difficult for them. Just like before WLS, people would question why did we gain so much weight? Why do you even need WLS? Can't you just diet and exercise?

Same questioning, just different circumstances.

So for all those out there who are finding themselves with the COVID-19-lbs-weight-gain, try as best as you are able to get back to what you were doing when you were successfully losing weight. You did it before, you can totally do it again. Addressing a 10-20 lbs weight gain now is alot more manageable than 50 later.

Good Luck everyone, and stay safe ❤️

So true !! I also put on weight. From Feb to May 1st I gained 15 or 16 lbs. Then on May 1st I decided it was enough and went back to eating the way we are taught. About 2 weeks later I got the call that my revision to bypass was scheduled. In 3 weeks I lost 6 lbs and have taken the rest off since the bypass. It is much better to get on the horse with a 10 to 20 lb gain then that 50 lbs like you said.

I can tell you for sure that if I hadn't been in my pre-surgery weight loss stage when the pandemic started, I would have gained weight. I find it very easy to stick to my diet when I'm at work, simply because there is no food around. I bring my lunch every day and do not keep Snacks at my desk. I usually avoid food that other people bring in due to hygiene concerns (it's amazing how few people take the time to wash their hands before they eat or handle food). So if this had happened a year ago, and I was stuck at home all the time with constant access to my kitchen and all the yummy food therein, I would have been snacking all day long. I also got most of my exercise by walking around at work, so that would have been a double whammy. I had a period of unemployment several years ago and that's exactly what happened, and I gained a lot of weight.

As it went, I lost 60 pounds in the 5 months before my surgery. I often thought about how much I would have been eating if I weren't trying so hard to lose weight before surgery. I was kind of proud of myself and expecting that I would be the only one to lose weight while everybody else gained weight, but actually, most of my coworkers lost weight (or at least said they did), too. Nobody even noticed that I lost weight because I'm still the biggest person in the office.

As far as how people use their time, sure, they could use it to exercise more and plan healthy meals, but for some people, it is really hard to get motivated to do this stuff, especially when they're stressed, scared, and possibly mourning the death of loved ones. Plus, many people work out at the gym and haven't had access to gyms during the pandemic, and although there are plenty of options to work out at home, it could be a big change and get people out of their exercise routines.

The bottom line is that there are many, many factors for all of us that can lead to weight gain, and probably nobody knows that more than bariatric patients. I can easily see how major changes to our lives and our world, like a pandemic, could result in weight gain.

6 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

I'm confused about how people are gaining weight during the Covid..... Shouldn't people be losing?

5 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

My husband is and he has deff. put on a few. but i would never tell him that. and he is not a WLS patient.

What factors do you think are behind his weight gain?

Edited by GreenTealael

As a two time weight loss surgery patient, you truly don't understand why people gain weight?

Everything you just posted could have been said about you or any of us. Didn't we all hear "Just eat healthier. Just exercise more."? How did it feel when you encountered that type of attitude pre WLS? Was it helpful or motivating in any way?

Even in Rants and Raves, what is the reason behind this post? The only point I can see is to feel superior to others. Reminds me the the post from earlier this month, "STOP MAKING EXCUSES." It's the same myopic point of view and lack of empathy towards others who may be struggling.

Edited by sillykitty

a lot of people are stress and/or boredom eaters. Plus a lot of gyms are closed - or were closed for a couple of months. That's why. (I haven't gained - in fact, I've lost three lbs. But I TOTALLY understand why people have gained)

Perhaps people working from home are busier than ever, time that would have been spent travelling to and from work is now more time working from home, they may have children they need to care for, to home school, other loved ones that need caring for, people volunteering to help others, making masks, etc.

It is indeed a disappointing original post, and no doubt you will have some people support the opinion, but to me it clearly lacks empathy.

7 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

First.... I know this is the Rants & Raves section. This is why i'm posting it here!!!! Trust that i know i will get flack for this....

I'm confused about how people are gaining weight during the Covid..... Shouldn't people be losing? It would seem to me that with people not having to get up and go to work they would have more time to dedicate to there diet and exercise.

People have been complaining for YEARSSSSS that they don't have time to plan their meal and don't have time to exercise. What about now? What's stopping people from either... growing there on veggies or buying them and having more time to food prep. Also, why aren't people taking the time to exercise more.... walking, running, yoga, stretching..... repurposing those milk jugs and filling them with water/sand. Grab those resistance bands and use them or the exercise equipment you are using as a clothes hanger....... I just really don't understand. Not trying to be mean.... i really just don't understand.

There is no way i'm the only person that has these questions.

I agree with you for some it is an excuse to indulge.. the whole idea with surgery is to choose a new way of life and not fall back into old habits :)

I agree with you for some it is an excuse to indulge.. the whole idea with surgery is to choose a new way of life and not fall back into old habits [emoji4]

Lord help us all [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G981U using BariatricPal mobile app

19 minutes ago, New&Improved said:

I agree with you for some it is an excuse to indulge.. the whole idea with surgery is to choose a new way of life and not fall back into old habits :)

200.gif.6f8bf37b2113ed871f8df9de8177939a.gif

I've gained weight because I am working my butt off learning a new job and I don't have the natural movement of going out or to an office like I did before. Also, my father died, some of my friends are sick, and sometimes all I feel like doing in the evening is sitting around feeling like crud and eating Skinny Cow ice cream. I'm back on plan, but I judge no one for their weight or what they eat EVER!

2 minutes ago, JessLess said:

I've gained weight because I am working my butt off learning a new job and I don't have the natural movement of going out or to an office like I did before. Also, my father died, some of my friends are sick, and sometimes all I feel like doing in the evening is sitting around feeling like crud and eating Skinny Cow ice cream. I'm back on plan, but I judge no one for their weight or what they eat EVER!

Condolences Darling ❤

My Step dad also passed away a few weeks ago.

Edited by GreenTealael

Yeah, I hardly ever log in here anymore because... sheesh.