Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing my old eating habits!!

I had endoscopic gastric sleeve on July 19th. I have lost 20 pounds so far. The last several days I have found myself missing my old eating habits. Like eating chips, candy, larger amounts of food in general. My appetite has not increased so I have been able to stick with the diet (500 - 600 calories, 50-60 grams of Protein per day) but I don't know why I just recently started missing food. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep, I also experienced this and have seen many other posts about it so I think it's pretty common. It's almost like being in mourning or breaking up with a partner. I can't remember exactly when it stopped, but I definitely remember thinking "why did I do this, I just want cheeseburger" lol. It does get better, I promise, especially when you start seeing your body's transformation and have more energy [emoji3531]

Sent from my Alcatel_5008R using BariatricPal mobile app

It is not unusual to miss old eating habits but you need to replace them with other habits that occupy both your hands (mostly) and/or mind. Puzzles, going for a walk, soak in the bath, cleaning out cupboards, calling a friend or family member, knitting, arts or craft etc etc.

ESG doesn't remove the part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone, so you will need to deal with this by making sure you eating sufficient Protein and high fibre foods (when you are able), and once you are able solid foods that help you feel restriction.

You should be following your post op food guidelines, they are very important as you don't want to hinder the healing of the suture sites, otherwise your sutures will not be able to do there job, they will loosen.

If you are really struggling touch base with your dietician or nutritionist, ask for some tips. If you need to, also consider a counsellor to help you deal with the old habits and any emotional eating you may have.

I can't stress any of the above enough, I've seen as many ESG fail as there has been some success, you want and need to be on the side of success.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

7 hours ago, km13118 said:

I had endoscopic gastric sleeve on July 19th. I have lost 20 pounds so far. The last several days I have found myself missing my old eating habits. Like eating chips, candy, larger amounts of food in general. My appetite has not increased so I have been able to stick with the diet (500 - 600 calories, 50-60 grams of Protein per day) but I don't know why I just recently started missing food. Has anyone else experienced this?

You might do well to see a psychologist to help deal with this so you don't go off track

8 hours ago, km13118 said:

The last several days I have found myself missing my old eating habits. Like eating chips, candy, larger amounts of food in general.

[...]

but I don't know why I just recently started missing food. Has anyone else experienced this?

Almost everyone who's on a diet (especially a low calorie one) will experience this sooner or later, usually rather sooner than later. You're depriving yourself of the foods you like a lot and it's pretty normal that you're craving them.

Expecting not to miss or crave foods you like and used to eat will just set you up for frustration.

When I'm awake I don't really miss the bad foods all that much. But when I'm asleep I dream of eating all sorts of forbidden things, and then freak in my dream that I'm gonna dump. Also I'm a vegetarian and I dream of eating hamburgers all the time. It's such a relief to wake up and find out that I didn't really eat the forbidden fruit...

I did too for at least 3 weeks AFTER surgery, then I got used to it.

If you want a good alternative to chips - get Quest Protein chips. They are a great protein source (19g) with low net carbs (4g) and only 1g of sugar. The Ranch flavor tastes just like Cool Ranch Doritos. They are kind of pricey though.. but Sam's Club and Target carry them.

yes, totally. i call it eye hunger, or memory hunger. my stomach is not telling me i am hungry, but i so badly desire a chipotle bowl or a slice of pizza or even a big salad with tons of stuff in it. only 2 weeks out. i have notice that if i take too big of a gulp of my chicken broth or Protein Shake, i get a very uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, so that sort of tells me i am not hungry. lots of talking to myself these days to change old behaviors. you will get there too.