Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey so I was sleeved 6/29/20. I've done a lot of research so I see the 3 week stall is a thing. My question is how long does it last?? I've been at a stall gaining and losing the same 3lbs for about a week and a half now. It's just insanely frustrating. I feel I shouldve lost more by now. I'm not over eating. I roughly eat 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time and only 3 times a day and 1 or 2 shakes a day if I can get them in and of course as much Water as I can. I walk every day and starting Monday I can start basic strength training again (minus core for now). Help!? What am I doing wrong??

Hw:290

Sw:266

Cw:257

It’s a real thing though it may be in week 2, 3, 4 or 5. They can last 1-3 weeks. And this is the just the first stall you’ll have through this process. Some advocate boosting your intake or exercise others say stay your course. For me, I stayed my course & the weight loss started again. I look on stalls as your body playing catch up to all your changes: diet, exercise, reduced calories, etc. Best thing is not to let it get you down. Keep your mind strong & focussed.

We all lose at different rates. You may be a slower loser and there’s nothing wrong with that. But you have lost 9lbs in 4 weeks with a stall. This is something to Celebrate.

It’s not a race. Don’t compare yourself with others especially those who have more to lose than you - they’ll lose much faster to begin. It’s often not the number in the scale (though certainly motivating) but how you are feeling & what you are able to do now (the non scale victories) that can be more meaningful.

Good luck.

I stayed the same weight from week 2 until week 5, then started losing like crazy. Even now, when I stall (every once in a while, but I usually lose 0.5-2.5lbs a week now), it's only like a week or two.

It's disheartening sometimes, but you just gotta hang in there. You're still being healthier, and that's what matters most. Besides, those weeks that I didn't lose pounds on the scale, I lost an inch off my waist and hips.

So i got surgery 7/17/20 and ive been only taking in Water and a Protein Shake , but im not losing any weight? Is this normal? Idk if im doing something wrong. I went i to surgery with 282 lbs now im 278, ive only lost 4 lbs , i thought i wouldve of lost a lot of weight since im in reality not eating anything

I saved you some time and did a search on this site for the "three week stall" (I think you're just experiencing this a little early, as some do. Mine was weeks 2 &3). 17,501 posts on this as of today. This happens to almost all of us and we see at least a couple of posts a week on this. Bariatric clinics REALLY need to mention this phenomenon to their patients because it's almost certainly going to happen, and everyone freaks out about it (unless they're aware of it beforehand). Here are the 17,501 posts:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

re: the four lbs - as long as you're gradually trending down - and you will have occasional stalls along the way where you won't lose for 1-3 weeks - you're good. There's not much you can do about your rate of weight loss other than follow your surgeon's plan. Other things that factor into this - like genetics - you don't have much (if any) control over, but you DO have control over how closely you stick to the plan. If you're committed, the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow. I was behind the curve the entire journey, yet I lost all of my excess weight.

Edited by catwoman7

30 minutes ago, lopezamyyy said:

So i got surgery 7/17/20 and ive been only taking in Water and a Protein Shake , but im not losing any weight? Is this normal? Idk if im doing something wrong. I went i to surgery with 282 lbs now im 278, ive only lost 4 lbs , i thought i wouldve of lost a lot of weight since im in reality not eating anything

P.S. also, you may not have lost anything the first week out because of the IV fluids they give you in the hospital. Some of us leave the hospital up to 10 lbs heavier than when we went in, and it's because of the fluids. It takes a few days before it works its way out - so you may not have even been back at the weight you were at when you entered the hospital for up to a week after your surgery.

So I'm new too so I dont have a lot of input but it's also going to depend on your preop diet. Did you have to do a liquid diet beforehand? Because once your body adjust to liquids your metabolism will slow some and if your not getting enough Protein it goes into starvation mode and tries to hold onto everything. Also keep in mind depending on how long you were in the hospital they pumped you full of iv fluids. Plus all the air and gas from laparoscopic surgery. And of course depending on if your having any potty issues. And the main one is swelling and inflammation from healing. When I went in for surgery I was 266 the day I left the hospital( the next morning) I was up to 272 from all the fluids gas and inflammation. I weighed daily (I dont reccomend it, it becomes obsession) so that's why I knew how much I gained. So it might not feel like you've lost as much because of that. What everyone told me is just try to hit that protein and water goal and remember sip sip sip and walk walk walk. Take the most unflattering straight on photos of your face. You'll be shocked seeing the difference even if the scale doesnt move.

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

I saved you some time and did a search on this site for the "three week stall" (I think you're just experiencing this a little early, as some do. Mine was weeks 2 &3). 17,501 posts on this as of today. This happens to almost all of us and we see at least a couple of posts a week on this. Bariatric clinics REALLY need to mention this phenomenon to their patients because it's almost certainly going to happen, and everyone freaks out about it (unless they're aware of it beforehand). Here are the 17,501 posts:
https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

re: the four lbs - as long as you're gradually trending down - and you will have occasional stalls along the way where you won't lose for 1-3 weeks - you're good. There's not much you can do about your rate of weight loss other than follow your surgeon's plan. Other things that factor into this - like genetics - you don't have much (if any) control over, but you DO have control over how closely you stick to the plan. If you're committed, the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow. I was behind the curve the entire journey, yet I lost all of my excess weight.
Thank you so much for the link still learning how to navigate the forums. I appreciate the input :)

Hi! First post here.

Just wanted to say that I’m 3 weeks and 1 day out from sleeve surgery and am stalling. I’ve been gaining and losing 2# over the last week. Started to worry I was doing something wrong even though I’m following the surgeons and dietitians instructions. Such a relief to know this is a common thing!

Overall, I have lost 12.8# since surgery.

I am right there also. I have been stuck at losing n gaining three pound for almost three weeks it’s very frustrating and disappointing.

Hi! First post here.

Just wanted to say that I’m 3 weeks and 1 day out from sleeve surgery and am stalling. I’ve been gaining and losing 2# over the last week. Started to worry I was doing something wrong even though I’m following the surgeons and dietitians instructions. Such a relief to know this is a common thing!

Overall, I have lost 12.8# since surgery.
You're definitely not alone. Mine finally broke so there really is light at the end of the tunnel.