Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate a sugarfree candy bar and this is what happened

So, I am pushing a year out from surgery and I have a gotten a ton of experience about how my body now works compared to 11 months ago. Today I decided to eat a sugar free candy bar because, well, I am human and I wanted to. It was delish, and it was sweetened with maltidol.

I don't know if you have any experience in eating maltidol - but it is basically a Fiber that turns your stomach into a nightmare - it was least for me until surgery. Exessive amounts are laxatives.

I ate a whole bar.

I woke up sweating, in the worst pain almost ever, crying. It just won't end. I am never doing this again.🤣

I understand with all my research that sugar and fat will result in dumping syndrome. Sorry for your experience.

I started having sugar-free chocolate bars at about eight months and had no problems at all. I still have them periodically, although I realize that I need to exercise moderation due to the fat and calories (and lack of protein). Perhaps it would have been better if I had had the same reaction as you! 🙂

It's most likely the sugar alcohol (maltitol). Anything that ends in -itol is a sugar alcohol. Some people can tolerate those just fine, and others have the exact same experience you had.

there are tons of reviews of Haribo Gummy bears, for example (that feature maltitol) by people who had the same experience you did. Here's an article about them:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/sugar-free-gummy-bears-laxatives#1

Yes, Malitol is the devil, and everyone has different tolerances... I can have a handful of Gummy bears and I'll just be gassy.. anything over that and I'm in the bathroom all day. (I am preop). I had them on my desk, one of my coworkers said he got bad diarrhea from only 2-3 gummy bears. So... beware the malitol! It tastes great but your tummy / intestines will revolt!

4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I started having sugar-free chocolate bars at about eight months and had no problems at all. I still have them periodically, although I realize that I need to exercise moderation due to the fat and calories (and lack of protein). Perhaps it would have been better if I had had the same reaction as you! 🙂

I don't currently have any sugar-free chocolate bars in the house, so I don't know whether they contain malitol. However, I have some packets of Werther's Original sugar-free candies sweetened with asulfame K, and just a few of those make me extremely ill.

6 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Today I decided to eat a sugar free candy bar because, well, I am human and I wanted to. It was delish, and it was sweetened with maltidol.

May I ask what brand that was? I've never seen a sugar free candy bar. chocolate and chocolate spread sweetened with xylitol, yes (🤮 btw, save that money), but not a candy bar.

I occasionally have 1 piece of Russell Stover Sugar Free Chocolate candy. 2 pieces= 1 serving. Just checked & does have malitol. I have no issues but maybe cause I’m only having 1/2 serving size. Thanks for heads up but sorry you got so sick!

1 minute ago, Meadow76 said:

I occasionally have 1 piece of Russell Stover Sugar Free Chocolate candy. 2 pieces= 1 serving. Just checked & does have malitol. I have no issues but maybe cause I’m only having 1/2 serving size. Thanks for heads up but sorry you got so sick!

sugar alcohols don't affect everyone - just some people. I can eat them with no problem. But there are those who get horrible G/I distress from them, like the OP.

I was not able to eat anything with sugar alcohols way before my surgery. A friend of mine had gastric bypass about 15 years ago and she was eating sugar-free candies. I tried one at work one day and I said never again! Besides, I don’t even like chocolate, so that will never be an issue for me.