Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to hear from VSG to DS revisioners

So I had the DS a week ago today, due to some weight regain 5 years out from VSG.

I have been searching and searching for ppl's experience revising from VSG to DS. I want to hear from you!! I know my weight loss will be slower than with virgin DS, but I guess I'm lacking Faith that I can lose at all, just relying on malabsorption. I am watching what I'm eating (portions and carbs) . Please share with me your experience and loss!

And how long was your belly sore? I'm still pretty sore, with the vsg I was back to normal in a couple days. Not so with DS!!

Fallowing. I’m 6 years out from my sleeve and have gained my weight back, and my new insurance covers the DS but won’t kick in till September. I’m very interested to watch your journey.

Yes, here is update.

It took a little longer for me to heal for the DS over the sleeve. My belly was sore and bloated for a solid 2 weeks, with painful gas. It was a pretty uncomfortable recovery in the hospital. I had mine in Mexico and they really don't give you any pain meds.

I now have figured out what I can eat. Pretty much anything I want!! Minus sugar...I have found I can still eat bread on my sandwich with no ill effect, and can have just a few bites of dessert. I can have 1 slice of pizza, steak and corn on the cob, roast beef, ... nothing really bothers my stomach. Since I am trying to lose, I do limit my portions, but I'm fully satisfied. Do not feel like I'm missing out at all, nor do I have uncontrollable cravings. I have found that if I eat too much of a carb or sugar, I will have gas and alot more loose stool the next day. It's not like uncontrollable diarrhea or anything, just have to go alot. For that reason it's really not worth it to overeat on carbs, and it keeps me from doing it. And I try to limit my carbs for the weight loss effect, not low carb by any means... just do half a piece of bread with sandwich, etc.

The bathroom situation is not as horrible as a lot made it out to be. I had problems with Constipation before, so it's actually nice to have looser stools. It is more stinky, but it's worth it!! I have not had any accidents..when I'm traveling I take Devrom tablets, and it takes the stinkies away.

It took awhile for me to trust the weight loss from malabsorption. At first I didn't trust it, and was eating hardly anything at all, and it actually slowed my weight loss. Once I trusted it, and ate like a normal person (about 1000-1300 cals a day) the weight started coming off. I have lost 12 since July 20. It's slow but steady. I average about 2 lbs a week... before my DS when I would try so hard doing Keto, or 1000 cals a day ( which felt like starvation) I absolutely would not lose.

For Breakfast I usually have 4 sausage links or low sugar oatmeal. For lunch a deli meat sandwich with cheese and mayo, usually on just one piece bread. For dinner, usually grill a meat with a veggie, or do tacos, or bacon avacado sandwich, or egg drop Soup with 2 crab rangoon. Or I also love Amy's frozen cheese enchiladas. I try not to snack between meals, because most Snacks are carb heavy. If I do, I'll do cheese sticks.

Any questions, please ask. Would I do it over again, heck yes.

Thank you so much for the update! I am so happy that it is going well for you. Question: did they touch your sleeve at all this time, or just the small intestine?

I ask because the doc said if her finds it is needed he will fix the sleeve at the same time and also plans to remove gallbladder proactively at the time of surgery.

2 hours ago, Circlesis said:

Thank you so much for the update! I am so happy that it is going well for you. Question: did they touch your sleeve at all this time, or just the small intestine?

I ask because the doc said if her finds it is needed he will fix the sleeve at the same time and also plans to remove gallbladder proactively at the time of surgery.

He did not touch the sleeve, he said it was the appropriate size. I think most of the time it is..I had already had my gallbladder removed.

Good luck on your upcoming procedure. I’m getting ready to schedule mine. I’m having sleeve revision to the D Loop. Please let us know how the procedure went for you, if it was an easier recovery and how it’s working. You’ve got this!!

On 9/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, Circlesis said:

Update: I got my date for the DS revision, coming up in 2 weeks.

I have only 1 week of pre diet this time around. Anyone else?

Mine is Tuesday. VSG to DS. I wasn’t required to do the liquid pre-op diet but I did it anyway. I’m on the clear 2day now. I’ll provide updates when I can. Nervous about being solo in the hospital but I’m with the same practice as before, so not as nervous about the actual procedure.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, GottaBeBlair said:

Mine is Tuesday. VSG to DS. I wasn’t required to do the liquid pre-op diet but I did it anyway. I’m on the clear 2day now. I’ll provide updates when I can. Nervous about being solo in the hospital but I’m with the same practice as before, so not as nervous about the actual procedure.

Good luck.. you said solo. please let us know how it goes.

Hey everyone... just checking in. I had my revision to DS Loop on 9/29. It wasn’t nearly as painful as my original VSG with hiatal hernia repair. My abdomen is sore of course but I’m able to walk, shower, bend somewhat... without major pain. I was released 9/30 afternoon. I had to go solo due to Covid but they let my husband stay with me in the lobby and in the next room up until I had to get IVs and be wheeled off. So that was nice. Because after that was anesthesia, surgery and morphine so it wouldn’t have mattered if he were there or not lol. I slept a lot. I’m at home recovering nicely. My tummy does feel a little weird, like something got shifted. But the only pain I feel are the incision marks. I do have a on again off again headache. And the acid reflux is new. I didn’t have this before and I am praying it goes away because it is painful. Acid just comes up sometimes and it burns. My doc said it should subside as the swelling goes down. They didn’t touch my sleeve. So I’m able to drink and gulp and it not hurt my tummy but it does feel weird so I limit it to small sips only. I do have to follow the usual post-op diet but I didn’t have to do the pre-op diet. It was optional for me but I did it anyway so I could lose and I lost about 10 lbs. I’ll try to keep you all updated and respond to any questions. Thanks for your support!

Yay @gottabeblair so happy. Sounds like you had a super smooth procedure. Sorry about the reflux but hopefully will subside! Curious if you are having any bathroom issues with it? How much do you want to lose with his revision?

I did a one week preop, pretty easy. I think I lost about 5. Surgery early tomorrow morning. Hopefully with a nice easy recovery!