Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass Peeps: Would you do it again?

On 07/24/2020 at 18:38, Barbwired said:

I really need your help. I got a lapband in 2010. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, I lost 100 pounds and life was good. Then the acid reflux started. It was hell on earth. I woke up chocking in the middle of the night and spent several months sleeping in a chair. They finally had to take all of the Fluid out of my band and the reflux is better but not totally gone. I don't have to sleep in a chair now at least, but without the Fluid in my band and my gym closing (I was going 5-6 days a week) I've put on 40 pounds and I'm miserable. I had been on track to convert to a sleeve, but now I'm on here reading about people with the sleeve still having reflux problems. I can't go through that again so might consider a bypass instead but it terrifies me. I'm so afraid of the whole dumping syndrome thing and I like a glass of wine occasionally and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do that again. I would love to hear from all and any of you who have had a bypass and if you're happy about it or not. I'm beside myself trying make this decision and I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give me. Thank you so much in advance.

I know exactly that feeling ! I have decided to go with bypass because of the reflux issues I have and I have Esophagitis as well , I had initially wanted to revise to sleeve but after getting my Esophagitis diagnosis from my gastroenterologist, and with the research I did , it didn’t make sense to me to go with the sleeve . It took a lot of research , talking with a counselor about me weighing my options to have made the decision to go with bypass . I am having surgery on 8/13/2020 . I am looking forward to this new step in my journey . But I’m fully committed and ready for it !

This is what I feel right now and I know my feelings will change once things get to a new normal. I am 9 weeks post op, I’ve lost 55 lbs so far, I have not had any stalls, and I researched the pros/cons of surgery for months before surgery. I know numerous people IRL who have had the surgery 1, 3, 5, 7, & 10 years ago and none of them regret it. But if I knew how my recovery would be, I would not have had the surgery. I have had other health issues arise because of certain issues that come with surgery and have been in some type of pain for the past 5 weeks! I’ve had to take off from work many mornings or afternoons due to not being able to handle the pain in my office.

I can feel myself becoming healthier and I know that in a few weeks/months I will have overcome this other issue but for now I do regret my surgery. Keep in mind I’ve also had to be treated for severe dehydration twice in the past month, so that has also contributed to my current thought process.

Good luck with your journey! I’m sure you will make the right choice for you!

Edited by Lici

On 7/24/2020 at 6:38 PM, Barbwired said:

I really need your help. I got a lapband in 2010. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, I lost 100 pounds and life was good. Then the acid reflux started. It was hell on earth. I woke up chocking in the middle of the night and spent several months sleeping in a chair. They finally had to take all of the Fluid out of my band and the reflux is better but not totally gone. I don't have to sleep in a chair now at least, but without the Fluid in my band and my gym closing (I was going 5-6 days a week) I've put on 40 pounds and I'm miserable. I had been on track to convert to a sleeve, but now I'm on here reading about people with the sleeve still having reflux problems. I can't go through that again so might consider a bypass instead but it terrifies me. I'm so afraid of the whole dumping syndrome thing and I like a glass of wine occasionally and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do that again. I would love to hear from all and any of you who have had a bypass and if you're happy about it or not. I'm beside myself trying make this decision and I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give me. Thank you so much in advance.

You dont want to mess with the sleeve if you already have had reflux issues. I converted to bypass 2 1/2 months ago and although I wasnt very happy the first 6 weeks I have come around and its not so bad. I do dump on Cereal or heavy carbs so I just dont eat that stuff especially in the mornings !!! I can drink alcohol and I dont dump on that. It really varies person to person. I know a woman who has never dumped with the bypass and she said she wish she did !! It is a good deterrent for sure.

Thanks, everyone. I'm facing a similar situation. Long time bandster, lost 250 pounds, now 100 of that has crept on. Band had to be removed last December due to reflux. I was in process to get RNY when COVID hit and I stopped everything. I was away from the program too long and they dropped me, now I have to get back in and finish the pre-op checklist. I'm looking for success stories to bolster my confidence to do this.