Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass Peeps: Would you do it again?

I really need your help. I got a lapband in 2010. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, I lost 100 pounds and life was good. Then the acid reflux started. It was hell on earth. I woke up chocking in the middle of the night and spent several months sleeping in a chair. They finally had to take all of the Fluid out of my band and the reflux is better but not totally gone. I don't have to sleep in a chair now at least, but without the fluid in my band and my gym closing (I was going 5-6 days a week) I've put on 40 pounds and I'm miserable. I had been on track to convert to a sleeve, but now I'm on here reading about people with the sleeve still having reflux problems. I can't go through that again so might consider a bypass instead but it terrifies me. I'm so afraid of the whole dumping syndrome thing and I like a glass of wine occasionally and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do that again. I would love to hear from all and any of you who have had a bypass and if you're happy about it or not. I'm beside myself trying make this decision and I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give me. Thank you so much in advance.

I have reflux and was told bypass was a better choice. When I meet with my surgeon on the 6th of August, than I will know my surgery date.

you already know this (since I responded to your other post), but I'm very happy with my bypass and would make the same choice again. (P.S. I've never dumped)

Edited by catwoman7

I am going to speak of what I know about my very best friend that just had a lapband revision to RNY last year. She described having the same or similar Lapland issues as you mentioned. Acid reflux definitely being the worst. Every time we went out to eat she ended up excusing herself to the bathroom because of the reflux. Elevated sleep, etc. I believe she also took a daily acid reflux medication. Now, after the revision to RNY, she claims she had no idea how much more pleasant life could be. She has had a few dumping incidents and I have asked her all about it because I'm about to have the RNY in a few weeks. She claims she would choose the rare dumping incidents over the daily misery she had with the band any day of the week.

Again, these are just my observations and conversations with someone else that went through it. Front the outside looking in I have seen a drastic change in her life.

I wish you well on your road to a decision!

Barbwired--I am one of the lap banders who had to get mine removed when it slipped and caused a huge hiatal hernia. I got it removed, got the hernia repaired and a revision to a RNY bypass in one surgery. I couldn't be happier with the results! No more vomiting and sliming every other meal. And in seven months I lost all the weight I had regained and thirty pounds more than the lowest I ever got with the band. My only regret is that I ever got the band in the first place and wasted 12 years before doing what I should have initially.

I haven't dumped once, but I'm very careful not to eat anything that could cause me to dump. It's good incentive not to eat too much sugar! The bypass encourages more of a total revision of how you eat than the band does...I discovered quickly about "slider foods" with the band but an much more discerning with what I eat after the bypass. And I'd guess you can still enjoy a glass of wine now and then but would stick to a dry wine rather than a sweet one. I'm just not much of a drinker so I haven't tried it yet.

Whatever you decide good luck!

7 hours ago, Barbwired said:

I really need your help. I got a lapband in 2010. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, I lost 100 pounds and life was good. Then the acid reflux started. It was hell on earth. I woke up chocking in the middle of the night and spent several months sleeping in a chair. They finally had to take all of the Fluid out of my band and the reflux is better but not totally gone. I don't have to sleep in a chair now at least, but without the Fluid in my band and my gym closing (I was going 5-6 days a week) I've put on 40 pounds and I'm miserable. I had been on track to convert to a sleeve, but now I'm on here reading about people with the sleeve still having reflux problems. I can't go through that again so might consider a bypass instead but it terrifies me. I'm so afraid of the whole dumping syndrome thing and I like a glass of wine occasionally and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do that again. I would love to hear from all and any of you who have had a bypass and if you're happy about it or not. I'm beside myself trying make this decision and I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give me. Thank you so much in advance.

I only wish I did it 10 years sooner... It has been amazing... Maybe I was unique but I had no Hunger it cravings for months.. I lost weight quickly and consistently with maybe 1 week stall the whole time.. I lost all my excess weight and it only took about 9 months and I've been in maintenance now for over 2.5 months without gaining even though I eat more now than I did in the beginning...

I feel the bypass has changed my metabolism and I can eat like a skinny fit person without gaining anything...

I've had no complications at all, yes dumping does make you feel sick but you learn what foods will make you feel that way and then try to avoid them.. my BMI is 22.2 and I'm fit and healthy for the first time in 20 years :)

Don't be scared 1000s of people have the bypass every year...

Thank you all so much!

I just wandered on to this site. I had my bypass 19 years ago. It is probably a bit different now. Iknow people who had a lap band and have gained back their weight. The bypass is harder to defeat but you can do it.

I would dump if I ate chocolate or candy and with alcohol.

I just kept eating chocolate and now I thrive om it. At first, I could not hold any liquor then it was clear and no it is anything at all.

I don't dump anymore. But I don't enjoy ice cream and I used to live on it. But I eat cake and other sweets. I am a big baker.

I was about 250 when I started out. Lost 80 and gained back 10. Not great given what I endured but I had a stricture and the fix for that enabled me to eat a lot more. Now I eat like I always did. So at 180 I was much better. No more reflux, which I had bad and I could walk without losing my breath.

In time I managed to get to about 150 and stayed there. Even got to 145.

Then something happened in my life to motivate me. Six months on WW with working out every day and I was religious about it. I got sown to 112 and stabilized at 114 - 115. It was not easy, but when you really want to do something, you will. That was over 3 years ago. I crept uo to 119 or so and got back to 116. I say am trying to get back to 114 but I have only done this half heartedly. If I really wanted it, I would. But I eat a lot of pizza and Pasta and candy and nuts and I drink and have wine on occasion.

The bypass is the best thing I have ever done for my health. I should have done it earlier. It totally changed my life.

Losing the extra weight was all me. I had to work for it. Now I wear a size 6 or even 4. Lots of loose skin, because of my age, but I look great and I am very happy. I hope this is useful to you..

I am 70 years old.

3 minutes ago, barbara13339@gmail.com said:

I just wandered on to this site. I had my bypass 19 years ago. It is probably a bit different now. Iknow people who had a lap band and have gained back their weight. The bypass is harder to defeat but you can do it.

I would dump if I ate chocolate or candy and with alcohol.

I just kept eating chocolate and now I thrive om it. At first, I could not hold any liquor then it was clear and no it is anything at all.

I don't dump anymore. But I don't enjoy ice cream and I used to live on it. But I eat cake and other sweets. I am a big baker.

I was about 250 when I started out. Lost 80 and gained back 10. Not great given what I endured but I had a stricture and the fix for that enabled me to eat a lot more. Now I eat like I always did. So at 180 I was much better. No more reflux, which I had bad and I could walk without losing my breath.

In time I managed to get to about 150 and stayed there. Even got to 145.

Then something happened in my life to motivate me. Six months on WW with working out every day and I was religious about it. I got sown to 112 and stabilized at 114 - 115. It was not easy, but when you really want to do something, you will. That was over 3 years ago. I crept uo to 119 or so and got back to 116. I say am trying to get back to 114 but I have only done this half heartedly. If I really wanted it, I would. But I eat a lot of pizza and Pasta and candy and nuts and I drink and have wine on occasion.

The bypass is the best thing I have ever done for my health. I should have done it earlier. It totally changed my life.

Losing the extra weight was all me. I had to work for it. Now I wear a size 6 or even 4. Lots of loose skin, because of my age, but I look great and I am very happy. I hope this is useful to you..

I am 70 years old.

Thank you Barbara. Great job with your weight loss!

I am almost 3 weeks post surgery - transitioning from a 12 year old lapband to gastric bypass. I lost 200 lbs on lapband and gained 120 of it back over two pregnancies.

I am in shock of how ill-prepared I was for this transition. The lapband came so easily to me. I lost weight quickly, followed all the rules, etc. This time around, I am struggling to eat, sleep, take my Vitamins, etc. I am severely depressed (Covid-19 doesn't help this), physically uncomfortable, and I feel hopeless.

With that said, I've lost over 25 lbs in 2 weeks, I'm not having nearly as many actual eating problems as other people who had this surgery, and I know I'll get through this. I do not regret the decision at this time.

54 minutes ago, kossde said:

I am almost 3 weeks post surgery - transitioning from a 12 year old lapband to gastric bypass. I lost 200 lbs on lapband and gained 120 of it back over two pregnancies.

I am in shock of how ill-prepared I was for this transition. The lapband came so easily to me. I lost weight quickly, followed all the rules, etc. This time around, I am struggling to eat, sleep, take my Vitamins, etc. I am severely depressed (Covid-19 doesn't help this), physically uncomfortable, and I feel hopeless.

With that said, I've lost over 25 lbs in 2 weeks, I'm not having nearly as many actual eating problems as other people who had this surgery, and I know I'll get through this. I do not regret the decision at this time.

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm crossing my fingers for you that things get better. Sending positive vibes your way!

Love my bypass, would do it again in a heartbeat. Fixed my reflux. Additionally, it’s really easy to control dumping. Don’t eat high fat or high sugar foods and you’re good

On 7/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, Barbwired said:

I really need your help. I got a lapband in 2010. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, I lost 100 pounds and life was good. Then the acid reflux started. It was hell on earth. I woke up chocking in the middle of the night and spent several months sleeping in a chair. They finally had to take all of the Fluid out of my band and the reflux is better but not totally gone. I don't have to sleep in a chair now at least, but without the Fluid in my band and my gym closing (I was going 5-6 days a week) I've put on 40 pounds and I'm miserable. I had been on track to convert to a sleeve, but now I'm on here reading about people with the sleeve still having reflux problems. I can't go through that again so might consider a bypass instead but it terrifies me. I'm so afraid of the whole dumping syndrome thing and I like a glass of wine occasionally and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do that again. I would love to hear from all and any of you who have had a bypass and if you're happy about it or not. I'm beside myself trying make this decision and I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give me. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi 🧡 I didn’t read the other replies but I had gastric bypass surgery April 29th 2019. I started out 5’ 208+ lbs and in under a year I lost 106lbs. I do not regret that decision at all. I stick to mainly a low carb way of eating And keep daily log of my meals, Protein and calories BUT I do have fruit now no dumping and I have had a little wine here and there no dumping I’ve also had a margarita (whatever option had the least sugar) and I have had Prosecco which usually carbonated is a no no but I do have energy drinks sometimes too, I let the bubbly go out a bit. I didn’t have these until I was close to goal, well I admit I did cheat with the margarita a little early but otherwise I kept to my strict way of eating and slowly added things at goal.

well I’m rambling. You Feel it out as you go through the steps when you have surgery. But You won’t regret gastric bypass surgery. I didn’t and would do it again even knowing how hard it was for me with my lifelong chronic illness and disability.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I had a lapband and had a pretty similar experience. I lost 145 lbs and was doing great - except I'd wake up choking on acid and throwing up/sliming was an almost daily experience. I tried various fill levels and any amount caused this. So eventually I was unfilled entirely and put back on all my weight. After a few years I finally decided to do surgery and I decided on gastric bypass because my surgeon shared that many people who heartburn/reflux before will have it worse with Sleeve.

I had RNY 12/31/19 and have had a really great experience - better than even the early days with the band. I've had just a little bit of heartburn even with RNY, but Dr has me taking some meds and thinks it will resolve (technically still healing). I'm only a little over 7 months out but so far no regrets.

Oh! And I have dumped exactly 3 times. I can have fruit and even 2 glasses of red wine and I'm fine. I even had a bite or two of a sweet and I was fine. But, I tried a margarita and had less than 1/3 of it - dumped. And I had a piece of birthday cake and dumped (2 times --- sometimes I take a bit to learn). To me that's a good thing. Dumping is very unpleasant, and as a result my desire to eat sweets is really dampened which is good!