Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm very new in this process but I'm trying to dive right in. The more research I've been doing, the more I feel like this is the right thing for me to do. However, one part I have a lot of anxiety over is if my PCP will be accepting of this and give the referral or if I'll try to have to do some convincing. My previous PCP left his practice so I am going to a new doctor now at a whole different hospital.

Was it easy for you to convince your PCP or were they just naturally accepting from the start? 😁 How do I bring this up to a doctor I'm new to?

Well I'm sure they will have access to all your medical records and your problems with your weight plus any co-morbidities?

Just explain how much you've been through and how many times you've tried to lose the weight before and you really need help your doing this for health reasons not vanity

By the time I talked to my PCP about it, I had already seen the surgeon, and at that point it was just to get my PCP to sign off on the form that I needed WLS. I pre-filled out the form for her! LOL!! It was quick and easy.

I can't imagine a PCP not agreeing to it for anyone who is morbidly obese. I'm sure you will be fine!! Good luck!!

In my experience most PCP's will automatically sign off on it if your BMI is high enough (over 40). Every PCP I had save two pushed me toward WLS, but I had to come to that decision on my own so I always told them not until I felt I was ready. My current PCP was one of the two who never pushed for it. Funny enough? She had VSG several years ago so she knows you have to be in the right mental place for it to work for you. So just bring it up with your new PCP, I bet they'll give you that referral you want!

the woman who was my PCP at the time I had surgery was the one who mentioned surgery to ME! She did every year at my annual physical for about three years, actually - and said that any time I was ready, her referral letter was ready to go!

she retired a couple of years ago, and my next PCP I don't think was on board with WLS. When she learned I'd had it, she told me that most of her patients who'd had it gained a significant amount of their weight back. Maybe she would have referred me - but I don't know. I got the feeling she wasn't a fan. I was glad I had it before I became her patient.

this second PCP also retired, and my current one is totally fine with WLS.

so - doctors are all across the board with this - but I'm guessing most are fine with it and will give you the referral.

I expected to have to justify my decision to have WLS, but nobody really questioned it at all. My PCP and endocrinologist were totally supportive and glad to help make sure I was ready for surgery. My BMI was 60 when I made the decision, so I think it was pretty clear I needed it. I’m sure there are still some doctors out there who don’t like it, but I think WLS has gained fairly widespread acceptance in the medical community, and I would guess most doctors would support it for a morbidly obese patient.

I had been thinking about it for a couple of years so by the time I brought it up to my PCP I was very enthusiastic about it (and very well-informed). I told her how I'd tried a lot of diets etc. that hadn't worked for me and that I wasn't keen on WL medication. She said normally she would go that route first but because I was so enthusiastic and certain about it (and my BMI was above 40,) she would sign off and help me get the documentation of comorbidities to make sure I'd get insurance approval.