Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss following VSG

1 hour ago, New&Improved said:

II'm amazed you only got to 170 for your height & by the BMI chart you should be able to get to like 140? But I guess everyone has different metabolism...

Seriously? Stop shaming others for their weight/BMI choices. Better yet, just go away...

I had surgery 4 weeks ago. I am 38 years old. 5'11 now 6 months ago I was 6'1 but 2 back surgerys shrunk me. I weighed 327 lbs on the day of surgery. As of yesterday I weigh 300lbs. My weight loss was slow because for two weeks I couldn't get Water down and anything I ate I was throwing up. It takes time for the body to figure out what is going on. Today I tried to eat scrambled egg and got a Migraine and was sick again. Don't know if it was the egg or the oil.

Sent from my LM-V350 using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, OshunKilgore said:

I had surgery 4 weeks ago. I am 38 years old. 5'11 now 6 months ago I was 6'1 but 2 back surgerys shrunk me. I weighed 327 lbs on the day of surgery. As of yesterday I weigh 300lbs. My weight loss was slow because for two weeks I couldn't get Water down and anything I ate I was throwing up. It takes time for the body to figure out what is going on. Today I tried to eat scrambled egg and got a Migraine and was sick again. Don't know if it was the egg or the oil.

27lb in four weeks is not slow at all.

It took me a while to tolerate scrambled egg, Now I eat one or two eggs most days, though I only use a sliver of butter to grease the pan.

Dear New and Improved,

When you have been a 5’ 2 “ female - who is 64 years old - I and other will take your opinion more seriously. Have you ever had a hysterectomy ? Had to make the choices between adding Synthetic hormones that might help balance Weight gain and loss against a high risk of breast cancer ? Have you given birth to a child ? Or two ? Or had degenerative disease ? Or just been over 50 ? I hope that you remain healthy and never have to deal with medical issues. But growing older is not for the faint of heart. Another good thing about being long lived is the ability to know when to be insulted and when to just be amused. I remain the later

3 hours ago, ChubRub said:

Seriously? Stop shaming others for their weight/BMI choices. Better yet, just go away...

Thank you for your support. I appreciate that a lot ! I like to think that there is karma in this world. Yours should be increased by your kindness.

Didn't mean to offend

1 hour ago, New&Improved said:

Didn't mean to offend

unfortunately, you tend to offend people a lot...

Sorry I think it's just my personality I have not had alot of social interactions before... I suffer from anxiety too..

3 hours ago, OshunKilgore said:

27 lbs is A LOT! I've been hanging out on various bariatric forums for the last 6-7 years. It seems like most people lose somewhere in the 15-25 lb range the first month - so you're actually above average. I think sometimes people expect to lose 30+ lbs the first month - but that's actually not all that common. I think that expectation comes from shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to remember where those people are starting. WAY more than most of us - and of course, starting BMI is one of the factors that determines your rate of weight loss. So you are just fine!!

also - eggs. An egg intolerance isn't uncommon the first few weeks or months - but for most people, it's temporary. So I'm betting it was that...

48 minutes ago, New&Improved said:

Sorry I think it's just my personality I have not had alot of social interactions before... I suffer from anxiety too..

in that case, I would lay off the "tough love" responses. It takes a lot of finesse to be able to give that without offending people. I have a master's degree in counseling psych, and am 60 years old to boot (i.e., have been around the block a few times), and I STILL struggle with how to respond to some people at times without offending them. It's an art.

In addition, a "tough love" response was completely inappropriate in this particular situation

Edited by catwoman7

2 hours ago, New&Improved said:

EXCUSES EXCUSES...

I may be an outlier...
Started process at 308 (bmi of 41). Sleeved on 6/22 at 286. Last I weighed myself on Friday (4.5 weeks post op), I was down to 244 (after a stall for 1.5 weeks at ~250). Not saying this to boast; I don't think I'm doing anything different than anyone else. My main point is that everyone loses weight differently. I fully expect my weight loss to slow down significantly, while others' weight loss will be accelerating.
39 year old male, BTW.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

So I’m getting concerned maybe I’m losing too much too fast? I was 261 on surgery and I’m 225 now. 😨

Hmmm. I hope I’m not losing too fast too soon. My weight on the day of surgery was 261.2 and now it’s 225.2 8 weeks out. Should I be concerned?