Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestions on multi vitamins

I had chewables for the first month after surgery and went to normal Vitamins after that.

My dietician recommended sucking on the chewable ones if I found the taste too intense or awful. I did find them much better to tolerate when I sucked them rather than chewing them.

I've always just used Centrum Silver (or the generic equivalent from Walgreens or CVS). You have to take two per day to meet the requirements. I started off with the chewables and then moved to the regular tablets after a few months.

I didn't really care for the bariatric chewables and found that they made me nauseated after taking them. After a lot of experimentation, I settled on VitaFusion gummy vitamins. I know schools of thought were that gummies were a no-no, but it was honestly the only ones I could tolerate for the first 6 months or so. Then, I switched back to standard Vitamins that you swallow.

I'm taking Bari-Melts. They are meant to melt in your mouth, so you don't have to swallow a pill or even chew. They're not bad, but the Calcium ones are huge and you have to take 4 per day (just one for the Multivitamin, but that doesn't have calcium or iron). They're also pricey, so I plan to switch to the kind you swallow after the first couple of months.

A lot of people use vitamin patches. I'm a little skeptical, and they're not on the list that my surgeon recommended, but you could try them if you can't tolerate the chewable ones.

I have a prescription for Nascobal, and it comes with free Vitamins (BariActiv), in chewable or capsule form. I tried the chewables and could get them down, but didn't like them, so I just get the capsules now.

I take 1 Bariatric Complete Orange flavor (don't EVER get the berry, it's like berry flavored dog food!) and to me it tastes like a slightly stronger Flintstones Vitamin. And I take 2 Celebrate multi's (without iron) that are grape flavored (these are actually good). The Bariatric Complete are sold in my doctors office and you can buy 2 bottles for $45 or order online and it's $20. I get the Celebrate on Amazon and I order a three month supply at a time for $46. The site I order the Bariatric Complete on is where I get my Calcium as well and they're Bariatric Advantage. I order both the chewy ones for $33 or the tablet chewables for $25.

1 hour ago, NovaLuna said:

I take 1 Bariatric Complete Orange flavor (don't EVER get the berry, it's like berry flavored dog food!) and to me it tastes like a slightly stronger Flintstones Vitamin. And I take 2 Celebrate multi's (without iron) that are grape flavored (these are actually good). The Bariatric Complete are sold in my doctors office and you can buy 2 bottles for $45 or order online and it's $20. I get the Celebrate on Amazon and I order a three month supply at a time for $46. The site I order the Bariatric Complete on is where I get my Calcium as well and they're Bariatric Advantage. I order both the chewy ones for $33 or the tablet chewables for $25.

The fruit punch ProCare Health chewables are terrible too! I ordered 3 90 count bottles so i'm stuck with them for a while:44_frowning2:. My Doctor said just make sure they say Bariatric Multivitamins on the bottle and NO gummies. So that's what I'm taking.

I Take the barbaric advanced ea multi. I don’t like them plus they are expensive, but they have everything that my doctor and nutritionist want me to take in the right doses and forms. Flinstones complete has a surprisingly similar nutritional profile (but smaller yet seemingly sufficient doses of most things) for a fraction of the price plus it’s widely available. but I would need to take a B12 and possibly Iron supplement on top of this. I may switch to the flinstones after a few months. I’m following the doctors orders for now and choking down the Bariatric Advantage. It doesn’t make me sick and is a convenient all in one. My doc recommended crushing them and putting it in a Protein shake...I didn’t like this option...

Edited by angryspice

I had chew able ones that I wanted to use up so I found a way to manage using them. I drank a little Water so my mouth wasn't dry and broke it into 2 smaller pieces. I put it at the back of my mouth and to the side and chewed it a few times with my head tilted back so the Vitamin wouldn't touch my tongue and I couldn't taste it then I took another small sip of water and swallowed. Then I immediately brushed my teeth.

You could also try crushing it up and mixing with a table spoon of applesauce to try and swallow it without tasting it.