Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Band Revision To Sleeve

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

only about 30% of us dump. I never have. Although yes - 30% do. Although that can be controlled my limiting or avoiding sugar. I kinda wished I WOULD dump because of that - but no-o-o-o. I'm one of the unlucky ones (or lucky, depending on your perspective...)

Thanks, it sounds awful and it's what is making me afraid of the bypass.

5 hours ago, joleza said:

i have had the band to sleeve revision. i am only one week out but i tell you this. the sleeve surgery was much less painful than the band. surprisingly so. i got sick of fills, and oops, too much fill, and finally after 15 years, my band failed. hoping for the best!

Thanks Joleza, glad to hear this surgery was easier. I had assumed it would be much harder.

4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I don't think that's common. The only time I've heard that is with Al Roker several years ago, and I don't know what the situation was with him - if it was dumping or something else. I guess it could potentially happen to others, but I've never heard anyone mention that in the six or seven years I've been active on various bariatric internet forums. As for wine, I've never heard of anyone dumping on wine. Although I guess it could happen to some since wine has natural sugars in it. People who dump (and again, that's about 30% of us) usually do it when they eat too much of things like cake and Cookies. And you can avoid dumping by limiting or avoiding these things.

So funny you mention Al Roker, he's totally the person I had heard about. He was wearing a white suit in the white house. UGH!! My worst nightmare.

P.s. dumping usually involves heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness - sometimes nausea and diarrhea. But again, I've never heard of anyone pooping in their pants because of it, and 70% of us don't experience it at all. And also again, limiting/avoiding sugar will prevent it. I think people think it's a bigger deal than it actually is (not just you - a lot of people think that)

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

P.s. dumping usually involves heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness - sometimes nausea and diarrhea. But again, I've never heard of anyone pooping in their pants because of it, and 70% of us don't experience it at all. And also again, limiting/avoiding sugar will prevent it. I think people think it's a bigger deal than it actually is (not just you - a lot of people think that)

Thanks so much, I appreciate your good advice. :-)

5 hours ago, Barbwired said:

My surgeon said that the incidence of reflux with the sleeve is much lower than it is with the band.

I did not have reflux before I had my sleeve, I developed it about 2 years after surgery. It made my life miserable. I regurgitated everything I swallowed, woke up in the middle of the night with acid filling my mouth and throat, and developed an esophageal stricture from the acid. I loved my sleeve and worked with a surgeon for several years to try to come up with an alternative to a bypass. We considered several options but none were as likely to work as well as bypass. I had mine on 6/29 and it has been a life-changer. No more acid. No more regurgitation. No more cutting food into tiny pieces to fit down a 12mm esophagus.

Please, think long and hard about a sleeve if you have reflux now. I was afraid of dumping, too, but so far, haven't.

3 minutes ago, Foxbins said:

I did not have reflux before I had my sleeve, I developed it about 2 years after surgery. It made my life miserable. I regurgitated everything I swallowed, woke up in the middle of the night with acid filling my mouth and throat, and developed an esophageal stricture from the acid. I loved my sleeve and worked with a surgeon for several years to try to come up with an alternative to a bypass. We considered several options but none were as likely to work as well as bypass. I had mine on 6/29 and it has been a life-changer. No more acid. No more regurgitation. No more cutting food into tiny pieces to fit down a 12mm esophagus.

Please, think long and hard about a sleeve if you have reflux now. I was afraid of dumping, too, but so far, haven't.

Oh boy, so sorry to hear about this and thanks for sharing. I am thinking long and hard.

Hi.
You could also talk to your doctor about the use of a Proton Pump Inhibitor such as Pantoprozole (Protonix) which eliminates or reduces the heartburn by decreasing acid production. If it were me, I would also ask for an endoscopy to see if there is a hiatus hernia where the esophagus pases through the diaphragm. If you have that it could be more complicated. Also if you lose weight the fat between the stomach and diaphragm can get smaller and effectively make it easier for the acid to reflux. I would discuss that also.

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, copado said:

Hi.
You could also talk to your doctor about the use of a Proton Pump Inhibitor such as Pantoprozole (Protonix) which eliminates or reduces the heartburn by decreasing acid production. If it were me, I would also ask for an endoscopy to see if there is a hiatus hernia where the esophagus pases through the diaphragm. If you have that it could be more complicated. Also if you lose weight the fat between the stomach and diaphragm can get smaller and effectively make it easier for the acid to reflux. I would discuss that also.

Best of luck.

Thanks, all good suggestions but I am already on a PPI, have been for years and when my band was full and my reflux was at its worst it didn't touch it. I have also had endoscopy, no hernia. The refulx is just a horrible side effect of the band and my fear is that I'll have the same issues with a sleeve.

I have no idea if they ever do this, or if it has ever been done, but two surgeries. The first for the GERD and then the sleeve. Probably only your surgeon would know.

best of luck.

I am 56, and eight weeks out (would have been 16 if not for Covid-caused cancellations) on my revision from a lapband to a sleeve (plus a hiatal hernia repair). My surgery went fine, weirdest thing was not being able to have someone with me. I woke up super nauseated , I mean bad, so bad, but it was much better overall after 24 hours. The first few days were rocky - bad reaction to the oxycodone, the scopolamine patch tanked my blood pressure, but very little discomfort from the procedures. The big problem was that my GERD was still present, maybe even worse. I get it badly - my chest, back, neck and stomach feel like they’re on fire. I was shocked when my surgeon’s assistant told me that the sleeve was a GERD-inducing surgery, and if it did not subside after a few weeks a revision to a bypass would be the next step. At that point - and now- I’m like NO more surgery, ever! I honestly don’t know why this was never discussed, or that I didn’t discover it during my pre-research. No explanation. Fortunately, the GERD did almost completely subside, and I was rolling on smoothly (Although, I am able to eat more food and quicker than I should be able to...but still I’ve lost 21 pounds.) Overall, doing good, but I also realized surgery does not take away an eating addiction so I am getting a therapist to help me with that and feel confident about improvement. However!!! Yesterday I started getting slightly nauseated and a little heartburn which has exploded into full on mouth watering nausea and some of the worst GERD I’ve ever had. Carafate, protonix, dexilant and a ton of Tums later, I am in pretty serious pain, and even drinking Water makes me nauseated. I called the surgeon and he said at this stage that is probably from having food stuck in the small opening of my stomach. I hope he’s right but it’s just hard to imagine going from feeling great to feeling like I am on fire, and I haven’t eaten much in two days so I don’t know what food it would be. I’m very upset and worried right now because there’s no possible way I can live decently like this, but another bariatric surgery is just absolutely out of the question. I know this is really just a recount of my experience and not so much an answer to your question. If you would have asked me two days ago, I would have strongly recommended the revision but if how I’m feeling now is how it’s going to be, no way. Of course, I’m hoping tomorrow I’m just miraculously better. I think the really important thing is just to discuss thoroughly and completely the GERD situation with your surgeon......Best of luck to you!

Edited by Rhonda H
Grammar

6 hours ago, Rhonda H said:

I am 56, and eight weeks out (would have been 16 if not for Covid-caused cancellations) on my revision from a lapband to a sleeve (plus a hiatal hernia repair). My surgery went fine, weirdest thing was not being able to have someone with me. I woke up super nauseated , I mean bad, so bad, but it was much better overall after 24 hours. The first few days were rocky - bad reaction to the oxycodone, the scopolamine patch tanked my blood pressure, but very little discomfort from the procedures. The big problem was that my GERD was still present, maybe even worse. I get it badly - my chest, back, neck and stomach feel like they’re on fire. I was shocked when my surgeon’s assistant told me that the sleeve was a GERD-inducing surgery, and if it did not subside after a few weeks a revision to a bypass would be the next step. At that point - and now- I’m like NO more surgery, ever! I honestly don’t know why this was never discussed, or that I didn’t discover it during my pre-research. No explanation. Fortunately, the GERD did almost completely subside, and I was rolling on smoothly (Although, I am able to eat more food and quicker than I should be able to...but still I’ve lost 21 pounds.) Overall, doing good, but I also realized surgery does not take away an eating addiction so I am getting a therapist to help me with that and feel confident about improvement. However!!! Yesterday I started getting slightly nauseated and a little heartburn which has exploded into full on mouth watering nausea and some of the worst GERD I’ve ever had. Carafate, protonix, dexilant and a ton of Tums later, I am in pretty serious pain, and even drinking Water makes me nauseated. I called the surgeon and he said at this stage that is probably from having food stuck in the small opening of my stomach. I hope he’s right but it’s just hard to imagine going from feeling great to feeling like I am on fire, and I haven’t eaten much in two days so I don’t know what food it would be. I’m very upset and worried right now because there’s no possible way I can live decently like this, but another bariatric surgery is just absolutely out of the question. I know this is really just a recount of my experience and not so much an answer to your question. If you would have asked me two days ago, I would have strongly recommended the revision but if how I’m feeling now is how it’s going to be, no way. Of course, I’m hoping tomorrow I’m just miraculously better. I think the really important thing is just to discuss thoroughly and completely the GERD situation with your surgeon......Best of luck to you!

Thanks Rhonda, so sorry to hear about the tough time you're having. I started out dead set against getting the bypass, but now I'm second guessing everything and thinking that's the route I might go. I can't bear the thought of spending my life having to sleep in a chair because of my GERD. I don't think people who have never had it understand how bad it is at all. I'm meeting with my surgeon on Tuesday and have a lot of questions for him. Good luck to you, I hope things get better for you!

I had GERD and a hiatal hernia for about 15 years. When I started to think about weight loss surgery and do my research, I decided gastric bypass with hiatal hernia repair was the right choice for me. I know I am not a revision like you, but I decided getting rid of GERD forever, and not taking the chance of having to revise later, was very important to me. I am almost 3 weeks post op now. The first two weeks I had a bit of regurgitation, but that has gone away. I will continue my proton pump inhibitors for another month or so while I finish healing per the recommendation of my surgeon and then get to drop them from my meds. Yay! My recovery has not been perfect. I have had three separate incidents of vomiting, likely due to the hernia repair, but I was able to go back to work full time last Monday after two weeks off. I actually feel great and have plenty of energy. I have not tried to eat anything with processed sugars yet, just some fruit, so no dumping at this point. I am glad to have the potential for dumping as a deterrent to eating processed sugars. I do plan to try a small piece of dark chocolate soon, just to settle that craving. At some point I will try a glass of dry white or red wine too, but it is still too soon in my healing process. I hope you come to a decision that is right for you. Consider what you are willing to tolerate in the future. Possible dumping vs. possible GERD and another revision. Best thoughts coming out to you!

14 minutes ago, WishMeSmaller said:

I had GERD and a hiatal hernia for about 15 years. When I started to think about weight loss surgery and do my research, I decided gastric bypass with hiatal hernia repair was the right choice for me. I know I am not a revision like you, but I decided getting rid of GERD forever, and not taking the chance of having to revise later, was very important to me. I am almost 3 weeks post op now. The first two weeks I had a bit of regurgitation, but that has gone away. I will continue my proton pump inhibitors for another month or so while I finish healing per the recommendation of my surgeon and then get to drop them from my meds. Yay! My recovery has not been perfect. I have had three separate incidents of vomiting, likely due to the hernia repair, but I was able to go back to work full time last Monday after two weeks off. I actually feel great and have plenty of energy. I have not tried to eat anything with processed sugars yet, just some fruit, so no dumping at this point. I am glad to have the potential for dumping as a deterrent to eating processed sugars. I do plan to try a small piece of dark chocolate soon, just to settle that craving. At some point I will try a glass of dry white or red wine too, but it is still too soon in my healing process. I hope you come to a decision that is right for you. Consider what you are willing to tolerate in the future. Possible dumping vs. possible GERD and another revision. Best thoughts coming out to you!

Thank you for your good advice. I'm seriously considering the bypass now, even though I was dead set against it just a few days ago. Good luck to you and thanks again!

I’m pre-op for VSG and I currently have the gastric band. My band is out of place and will be coming out in August. I have horrible GERD / reflux and have been taking Pepcid, Tums, and even my husbands Peppermint Oil pills (OTC for gas).
This is one of the reasons I’m having it converted to VSG in October.
Good luck!!