Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can fruit cause dumping syndrome??

Help! I just made myself a Protein Shake with unflavored zero carb Isopure, less than 1/2 cup of almond milk, a small banana and a few pieces of frozen peach and strawberry. I took 2 or 3 sips and within 20 min started feeling nauseous and queezy. I'm not sure if this is dumping syndrome or if it just didn't sit well in my sleeve.

Can natural sugar from fruit cause dumping?? Any advice is appreciated!

1 hour ago, Natalierae said:

Help! I just made myself a Protein Shake with unflavored zero carb Isopure, less than 1/2 cup of almond milk, a small banana and a few pieces of frozen peach and strawberry. I took 2 or 3 sips and within 20 min started feeling nauseous and queezy. I'm not sure if this is dumping syndrome or if it just didn't sit well in my sleeve.

Could be the sugar in the milk or any of the fruit?

If I have something too sweet I do get a kind of the shakes for a little while.

You could try a Protein Shake or two without the fruit and see how you go?

3 hours ago, Natalierae said:

Well, it could be the berries (strawberry & banana are both berries) as I was told by my surgeon not to eat berries for the first three months due to possibly not being able to tolerate them. Or... it could be the almond milk because I was also told to avoid nuts for the first three months for the same reason.

Personally, my worst experience was when my nutritionist gave me the okay to add low carb bread into my diet and I had a bbq sandwich wrap made with low carb wheat bread... needless to say I no longer will touch wheat products because that was the WORST nausea I've ever had... and I had brain surgery three years ago! (I honestly thought nothing would top that nausea until my reaction to the wheat bread proved me wrong). The hilarious thing about my experience? My surgery isn't supposed to HAVE dumping syndrome, but when I described it to the surgeons office (stomach ache and cramping, gagging, dizziness, heart beating fast, sweating, flushed, diarrhea, etc) they said they were classic signs of dumping syndrome and advised me to avoid eating what caused it (duh, why would I go through that AGAIN -_-").

You could try one thing at a time to see what triggered it. I hope you can figure out what caused it...

dumping can sometimes can nausea, but it also causes heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness, severe diarrhea - did you have any of those issues as well? I think it can go on for quite a long time - I hear stories of people lying on the floor for what seems like forever feeling the worst they've ever felt.

that said, I do have a WLS friend who said she dumped on pineapple once, so yes - sounds like it's possible to dump on fruit.

it could be that it just didn't sit well. I had that happen a lot the first few weeks after surgery. We weren't allowed to eat fruit with seeds in it (like strawberries) for the first few weeks, as I recall...so it may have been that, too.

dumping isn't very common in VSG patients (although it's not unheard of) - it does happen to about 30% of RNY patients.

I asked my dietician the same question because I was afraid to eat fruit in fear that I dump. She said it's not likely because the Fiber in the fruit keeps the sugar from getting into your intestines too quickly.

6 hours ago, Natalierae said:

Yep. I’ve dumped on just a little bit fruit a few times in the early months (now, not as much, but occasionally if I have a lot at once or eat some on an empty stomach) I believe its the high sugar content.

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

dumping can sometimes can nausea, but it also causes heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness, severe diarrhea - did you have any of those issues as well? I think it can go on for quite a long time - I hear stories of people lying on the floor for what seems like forever feeling the worst they've ever felt.

dumping isn't very common in VSG patients (although it's not unheard of) - it does happen to about 30% of RNY patients.

Agree with this. I have VSG and sometimes things don't sit well. They make me uncomfortable and nauseous. Less commonly I do have mild dumping syndrome, I have more extreme nausea, and my tell tale sign is a racing heart and light headedness.

So TLDR - nausea does not equal dumping

When I eat something my new pouch does not like, I will have pressure, nausea, and cramping. These symptoms persist until I vomit up whatever the pouch dislikes. It sometimes takes hours to get it all out and it is miserable. So far this has happened with tuna, salmon, and the soft white seeds from watermelon. With the fishes, I was sick for about 6 hours each time. It is totally debilitating. @Natalierae, your sleeve is probably as picky as my pouch. Trust the rejection cues.

10 hours ago, New&Improved said:

Could be the sugar in the milk or any of the fruit?

possibly. I'm thinking probably the fruit 😕

10 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

If I have something too sweet I do get a kind of the shakes for a little while.

You could try a Protein Shake or two without the fruit and see how you go?

I'm definitely going to go back to limiting fruit for a little while

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Yep. I’ve dumped on just a little bit fruit a few times in the early months (now, not as much, but occasionally if I have a lot at once or eat some on an empty stomach) I believe its the high sugar content.

Good to know! i'll definitely try and be more mindful

1 hour ago, WishMeSmaller said:

When I eat something my new pouch does not like, I will have pressure, nausea, and cramping. These symptoms persist until I vomit up whatever the pouch dislikes. It sometimes takes hours to get it all out and it is miserable. So far this has happened with tuna, salmon, and the soft white seeds from watermelon. With the fishes, I was sick for about 6 hours each time. It is totally debilitating. @Natalierae, your sleeve is probably as picky as my pouch. Trust the rejection cues.

good to know! I'm starting to think it wasn't dumping and quite possibly just my sleeve rejecting all the fruit. I did feel nauseous and gross with some cramps. But none of the shakiness or heart palpitations and vomiting I usually hear of with dumping

I was told no fresh fruit for 8 weeks, but I could have fruit in the little containers which I haven't tried yet.