Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Multi-day hikes after WLS

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has done any multi day hikes after their WLS? I am planning a couple for early next year and curious if there were any issues getting the Water or cals needed for a trip like that. Any tips appreciated

I have. I live near the Pacific Crest Trail and do sections of it from time to time. I use a Camelbak Water reservoir and just kind of eat all day when I'm hiking. Jerky, trail mix, cheese, etc. Dehydrated prepared lunches and dinners, oatmeal for Breakfast.

This is a great question- I live near the Appalachian Trail and want to do some longer hikes there. I'm not concerned about the Water, but I've wondered about eating enough calories while not eating many carbs. I guess you have to graze all day.

I love to hike and was doing short hikes 3-4 days/week prior to surgery. i am still trying to get my energy levels up from surgery. I'm about a month out and still can't handle walking hills so I am worried about doing even a short hike. I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal or a substantial breakfast with carbs before my hike, but when I tried oatmeal post-op, I didn't tolerate it well. it made me very tired.

I usually hike in the morning and now that I start my day with a Protein Shake or yogurt, I am worried that I won't have enough fuel in me to get up the mountain. I think packing a lot of healthy Snacks and maybe a Protein Water would help. it's just annoying to have to stop to eat in the middle of a hike. maybe by next year you will be able to eat enough to get properly fueled and won't have to stop as much.

I live in Colorado and do a lot of hiking. Just did a 2 day backpacking trip and had no issues getting enough food and Water. I’m about 11 months post sleeve though, and can eat pretty normally (just smaller volumes). I packed cheese sticks, beef Jerky, nuts & dried fruit, Protein Bar, dehydrated backpacker meal, and oatmeal (I could handle handle 1/2 cup oatmeal around 2 -3 month mark). I definitely wasn’t as high protein/low carb as I normally am, but with the increased activity level it was warranted. I also used a Camelback for water and had a filter to refill it from the river. Hiking this summer has been so much better than the last couple of years due to my weight loss. I have a lot more energy and endurance. Enjoy! You will do great!

Thanks everyone. I’m really looking forward to it, I’ve always loved nature and bush walking so to be able to do it and not nearly die on a short incline will be amazing!

I’m sure the energy will be back in time for the hikes. I’m not worried about the carb/ fat so much, The exercise will cancel it out. I’ll take a lot of trail mix and just nibble all day.