Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Length of roux limb?

Hi all and thanks for all the support so far!

After reading all over this board, looking at med journal articles online, and talking to different people on my care team I am 90% sure I'm going to do the Roux en Y (with any luck in Sept/Oct). I have seen a few articles and references to different mm lengths for the roux limb... what does this do? Does shorter mean less absorption = more weight loss? Of course I'm going to ask my surgeon before I make a final decision but I want to have some knowledge under my belt first. Bonus for links to articles online. and THANK YOUUUUUUU

So longer is more malabsorption (bypassed more area)? or shorter (i have a shorter small intestine)?

Hi

I have read a few studies that suggested the longer the bypass does not always correlate to more weightloss except in patients with very high BMI

Initial article linked. Use citations for other articles

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11695-011-0402-5

my surgeon never even brought this up, so I actually have no idea how long mine is.

"The hypothesis is that a distal bypass can lead to better weight loss outcomes due to a longer diversion of the digestive tract and a shorter section of common bowel for absorption.[11] The small intestine has a huge variability in length among patients and can vary between 300 to 1,000 cm.[12] Because of this, the CL length can theoretically range from 50 to 850 cm in a proximal gastric bypass as intestinal lengths are not routinely measured before reconstruction of the digestive continuity." Source: https://misjournal.net/article/view/2053

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!