Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Ready and stocked

I'm getting my pantry stocked for my surgery. I just ordered 12 cartons of collagen broth from Walmart. They also carry Premier products. It's a good deal to get free delivery for all these heavy items.

Sent from my SM-A102U using BariatricPal mobile app

you might want to just pick up a couple of Premiers first to see if you like them - so you're not stuck with a bunch of them if you don't. I know a lot of people like Premier shakes, but some of us don't (I'm one who never liked them - I can taste the Protein in them). Also, some people's tastes change after surgery, so even if you like them now, you might not afterward. Maybe get one or two first to see if you like them NOW, and then if so, pick up a couple more to try after surgery to see if they still work for you..

I bought 12 of them. If I don’t like it, I give it to my husband to drink. He doesn’t care what things taste like. Lol

Great job! I am also trying to get as prepared as possible before my surgery on 7/30. When is your surgery?

My very supportive friend came over this past weekend and helped me make homemade chicken and beef Bone Broth. We made a larger batch of the chicken broth, then split it into smaller batches and flavored them with different seasonings for variety and simmered a bit longer. Then we strained them all so they were clear before putting them up into 1oz portions for the freezer. This way they are easy to grab and thaw as I need them. It took a while (spread out over two days) and I kept thinking maybe it would be better (...easier...quicker...) to just buy pre-made. Once I tasted them and had them all done, I was happy we did it. (And I have a LOT)

All that to say that if she hadn't said "Oh honey no! Let me help you make some broth!" I was all set to order mine and have it delivered as well.

I am picking up some Premier when we go to costco this weekend. I have my sugar free sport pops and I made some Protein Water pops that are in the freezer too. I am mostly set for the first couple of weeks at least.

We've got this!

I don’t have precise date but it will be August. I have to do a nicotine level which will happen tomorrow. I don’t smoke so I’m puzzled as to why they need that. They should give me a date over the next week.

Just now, perfektlynrml said:

I don’t have precise date but it will be August. I have to do a nicotine level which will happen tomorrow. I don’t smoke so I’m puzzled as to why they need that. They should give me a date over the next week.

they give nicotine tests to all patients at my clinic. I'm guessing it's because some people lie if they hear that smokers may not be able to have the surgery.

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

they give nicotine tests to all patients at my clinic. I'm guessing it's because some people lie if they hear that smokers may not be able to have the surgery.

Gotcha

I forgot to get some Bone Broth. I really like that too!

@Snappish would you mind sharing your recipe? This is a great idea and something I’d like to do before surgery too! Did you put the broth in ice cube trays for the small servings?

And ugh tagging doesn’t seem to work for me can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? I thought “@name” was the way to do it?

Most of the collagen stuff is just a gimmick

16 hours ago, minimamaz00m said:

@Snappish would you mind sharing your recipe? This is a great idea and something I’d like to do before surgery too! Did you put the broth in ice cube trays for the small servings?

Sure! It was a lot of work, but so worth it. When is your surgery?

We used this recipe for the Bone Broth. She used oxtail and knuckle bones, but we didn't roast them first. She said she didn't like the smell that comes from doing that. We also used the instant pot and it took about 4 hours instead of 24. We strained it and discarded all of the vegetables and meat and strained it through cheese cloth, then put it in the fridge overnight. The next day it was like Jello and I skimmed all of the fat off and portioned out the remainder into 1oz portions using these 2oz condiment cups, but ice cube trays could work. These make a LOT through. I used about 32 for each flavor and gave the rest to my friend. She is actually going to do the post-op broth/shake thing with me to kick start her weight loss (she isn't having surgery).

The chicken broth was pretty much a whole chicken with a hodge-podge of veggies (onions, leeks, carrots, celery, turnips, parsnips) thrown into a big stock pot. She had a couple of bay leaves in there and other seasonings (but not salt). She didn't use a recipe for this, but instead kept it as basic as possible. We let that simmer (with lid off, never boiling) until the chicken could be stuck through easily with a fork and the vegetables were soft. It took a little longer and could probably also be done in an instant pot, but we were doing so much we did it on the stovetop. We refrigerated this overnight as well when it was done. The next day we took the chicken out and shred it to use later, separated the veggies out. We divided this into thirds putting two smaller pots of the broth on the stove. In one pan she put mexican seasonings (I didn't see exactly what though) and in another asian seasonings. I saw star anise and a cinnamon stick, and the rest were spices that she brought from her home in France...so no idea there, but again, think asian inspired. We let those simmer for a while to take up the flavors. After everything was cooled and strained through cheesecloth one last time, I separated them into 1oz portions. All have been frozen.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the chicken broth, its basically throw what you have in there to cook, and then add other seasonings for slightly different flavors and variety. They all turned out so good!

I am attaching pictures of my 'bariatric' shelf in my freezer. Yes, I am aware of the irony of my little broths being in a Drumstick box! 🤣 I took the picture before I put my Protein Water pops in to freeze.

I used these little zip sleeves (they come with a funnel) and this protein water. I did find a strawberry-watermelon flavor at costco last time I was there, but won't hold my breath they will be there the next time I go. My nutritionist said they are fine to have, they just don't count as a protein replacement because shakes are 8oz and these are 16.9oz so less likley to be able to drink them all at once like a shake. I figure, whenever I get some protein in, I will take it.

I hope all of that helps!

2020-07-13 18.15.33.jpg

2020-07-13 18.15.23.jpg

Wow...it really stuck a lot of links in there that I didn't put in. Sneaky. Hopefully you will be able to pull out the ones I put in there!