Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone feel really tired after eating?

I am still figuring out what kinds of foods I can eat and in what proportions, but sometimes when I eat certain foods I get very tired afterwards. Like I have to lay down and sometimes I fall asleep for hours. Half Protein, half veggie meals seem to work the best. But all protein or all carb meals seem to be the worst. Other foods I have tried randomly caused this too. I am not really eating off my plan, which is fairly balanced but calls for protein-based meals. I am not sure if it is because I am eating too much or too fast or if I just need to avoid certain foods for now. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by angryspice

I generally get lethargic (or worse, i.e., dumping) when I have processed carbs.

Try taking note if what foods trigger it and stay away for a while. You can re-introduce at a later time. Rinse & repeat...

I had my surgery on the 23rd and I get it. I get sleepy with every meal with the exception of a Protein Shake. I follow my guidelines of proportions and food. But every time I eat, I feel like I have been to a buffet. The slower I eat, the less sleepy I feel but I am still tired after eating.

Surgery was 6/8. I too get sleepy after eating... I thought it was just me

Yes, same issue! 3,5 weeks post-op, mix of soft Protein foods and veg, every 3-4 days I hit this problem and fall on the sofa right after the meal. I wonder if slowing down even more while eating could help.

Yes, I do too. I make sure I take my walk before I eat because I won't do it if I wait until after my meal.

glad and also sorry to hear other people are having this issue. I'm having such a hard time getting energy levels back up post-op. I hate relying on Protein Shakes, but they do seem to be the only thing that doesn't make me sleepy. also, many liquid/soft foods (i.e. most cheeses, pudding, Jello, popsicles) seem to be fine. I will try to slow down when eating to see if that helps. does anyone know how long this tiredness after meals lasts after surgery?

Edited by angryspice

18 minutes ago, angryspice said:

does anyone know how long this tiredness after meals lasts after surgery?

Usually about 2 hours

...another thing to consider: incorporate B12 into your Vitamin regime...

54 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I take 5000 MG every morning!

1 hour ago, mattk53 said:

Usually about 2 hours

lol. I meant long-term. like does it eventually go away as you get farther out from surgery? but yes, I also find that it lasts 2 hours, but sometimes longer.

Yes! This happens to me often - like Thanksgiving dinner Tryptophan tired!  Smaller meals help. Sometimes I eat half of my tiny portion, then eat the other half an hour or so later. I also am getting away from dense foods like beef. This seems to help too.

2 hours ago, angryspice said:

lol. I meant long-term. like does it eventually go away as you get farther out from surgery? but yes, I also find that it lasts 2 hours, but sometimes longer.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm six weeks out and it's still happening to me. :D

5 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I’m taking all my meds and Vitamins which includes a high dose (1000mcg) of B12.

Edited by angryspice