Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Vitamins vs. Multivitamin vs. Prenatal

I had my Gastric Sleeve surgery done May 21, 2020. I had the bariatric Vitamins, Iron, Calcium, and Vitamin D supplements I was advised to take post op. I have tried repeatedly to take the bariatric vitamins (liquid, chewable, and capsule forms) and immediately vomit ( tried with and without food) i have now resulted to taking a women's one a day and supplemental iron. I haven't had my labs redone but was curious what other experiences yall have had?

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I tried and tried and tried all different kinds of bariatric vitamins- they made me vomit almost every single time, no matter what brand. At one point, I got tired and asked my nutritionist, and they put me on (of all things) Flintstones Complete Multivitamin with Iron. It works fine and my numbers have been fantastic.

I take chewable fruit Calcium (which I had no problem with...) and don't need Vitamin d outside of the ones in the calcium (I live in the desert and try to spend time outside every day lol).

But with the multivitamin, I take it along with my B50 capsule and my GERD meds, then eat Breakfast 30 minutes later. I haven't vomited in months. Also make sure to take my multivitamin (because it has iron in it) at least two hours apart from my calcium, and each calcium (I take three a day for 1500) at least two hours apart so they can absorb correctly.

Hang in there. I know this part sucks, but you will get through it. ❤️

I've taken Centrum Silver (or the generic equivalent) as my multi since day 1. I took the chewable ones for the first few months, then I switched over to the regular tabs. You have to take two a day to meet all of our requirements.

I've gone through several "phases" of Vitamin use in the 2+ years since sleeved.

In my first few months, many Vitamins gave me really severe nausea after taking it. I didn't vomit, thank goodness but I sure felt like crap. At various points, I've taken the bariatric versions but find I feel and do fine with the regular ones. I've also taken the expensive "organic" and "all-natural" ones. I really don't notice a big difference other than the hole in my wallet.

My "go-to" is Women's One-A-Day. I get the giant one from costco and it lasts me quite a while. As I approach menopause, I will probably change over to a 50+ or silver version, but other than that, I have no plans to change. *I also take calcium citrate +3, a hair/skin/nails formula. No issues.

I take Bariatric Advantage advanced ea chewable multis. they are quite expensive and taste bleh but I have no problem getting them down and they have everything including Iron (my doc specifically required ferrous fumerate form which I have had a hard time finding even in Vitamin stores or online) and a hefty dose (1,000mcg) of B12. many other brands do not include iron and b12 in these doses/forms.

pre-op I was taking a cvs brand multivitamin/mineral which is one of the only multis I found that had iron (ferrous fumerate) and b12 although it was a smaller dose but seemed to be enough. but what do I know? I'm no doctor and my doctor and nutritionist both said that certain vitamins/minerals are not absorbed properly or efficiently after surgery hence the specificity of the form/dose. the cvs brand are horse pills and I am not sure if can switch over to them this early post-op and I also can't find the specific one I was taking pre-op. my doctor did say that at some point down the road (I think 6+ months), I would be able to switch to pills versus chewy/chewables.

ironically, I also found that the Flinstones complete (without iron although it still has iron in it) had similar nutritional profile as the bariatric advantage, although smaller doses of some vitamins/minerals like iron and b12, and I am trying to consolidate and take as few Vitamins as possible. but I keep the flinstones on hand in case I run out of the bariatric advantage in between orders and have considered them for long-term. I am also curious as to how this would affect bloodwork, particularly for iron and b12. right now, I am just trying to follow the doctors orders and take all the vitamins and minerals in the required forms and doses. I also take the calcium/d3 chewy bites from bariatric advantage and love them. I may take those for life unless I find another brand that is as good. however, they are also somewhat expensive. they make the multi in chewy bites which are great, kind of like a starburst, but the chewy ones don't have iron. I believe pre-menopausal women and probably anyone with a deficiency should be taking an iron supplement.

anyway, I won't have labs done for another couple months. so I can't say how it affects bloodwork, but I am curious myself and can keep you posted.

Edited by angryspice

Question- I’m a year and 2 months out, down to 165lbs which is 110lbs down, and my boyfriend and I are trying to conceive so far with no luck. What prenatal Vitamins are you using? Thanks in advance.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:11 AM, brittanyatwalsh said:

Question- I’m a year and 2 months out, down to 165lbs which is 110lbs down, and my boyfriend and I are trying to conceive so far with no luck. What prenatal Vitamins are you using? Thanks in advance.

I'm on pregnacy # 2 since I've had surgery. I just take the target brand prenatals and a Calcium chew.

Edited by kate_0329