Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I plan to have a ESG less invasive than the MGB. Based on my readings it seems that the diet with ESG is more open. I mean also if the doses will be smaller they are no lack of vitamine as the food pass normally through the bowel. Could someone confirm that? And after how many days or week can I strart to eat normal food. Thanks

As with any weight loss procedure post op diet is usually dependent on the surgeon's or dietician's guidelines.

There won't be any dumping but there should be restriction which can be as restrictive as a sleeve.

My ESG post op diet was liquides for three weeks and moved on to puree then soft foods before progressing to normal foods. It was anyway up to four or six weeks before eating normally. There is a lot of inflammation and the sutures need time to anchor properly (scars healing) as well as the stomach folds time to 'meld'. The dietician who was attached to my doctor had the same food guidelines (once on normal foods) as for weight loss surgery, higher Protein and low starch veges if room have a small amount of complex carbs. All limited to 1/2 cup per meal.

My ESG failed...pretty much all but one suture had come undone or loosened. I did push the boundaries with food volume one or two times. The surgeon who did my surgical sleeve said some of the cause of the failure may be related to an autoimmune issue I have which causes inflammation and that stomach inflammation may have caused the stomach folds not too meld or the anchors to lodge properly.

In Australia there seems to be a higher failure rate than USA (no hard evidence just the posts in Facebook groups I am a member of). Failure may be due to non compliance with post op guidelines, lack of doctor skill/technique and for some no known reason. One person who suffered bouts of severe vomiting (due to illness) for a number of weeks early in the healing stages also had a failure.

To be honest, I was all for ESG for the fact if was minimally invasive, lower complications and faster recovery, I was in denial for a long time that mine had failed, and would highly recommend the ESG to all and sundry. Now I advise caution make sure your surgeon has

2 hours ago, DavideGeneva said:

Hi all. I plan to have a ESG less invasive than the MGB. Based on my readings it seems that the diet with ESG is more open. I mean also if the doses will be smaller they are no lack of vitamine as the food pass normally through the bowel. Could someone confirm that? And after how many days or week can I strart to eat normal food. Thanks

done many many many ESGS well over 500 (if possible) but certainly no less than (250), know their complication rates, failure rates and success rates (for patients beyond one year and two years). How many ESGs they had to redo, how many patients did a conversion to a surgical sleeve or other surgical option.

Aside from the incision site discomfort my recovery was pretty much the same for ESG and gastric sleeve. For the ESG my stomach had rolling cramps for about two days, for the gastric sleeve I had stomach spasms when I first tried fluids in hospital this probably lasted a day. I had minimal gas pain with the gastric sleeve. My fears around the gastric sleeve surgery were unfounded.

at my clinic, the patients are all on the same diet, regardless of surgery. I'm not familiar with ESG, though. In the US the majority of weight loss surgeries are VSG ("sleeve") and RNY (gastric bypass).

when you can eat "normal food" depends on the surgeon. I could eat pureed food as soon as I got home from the hospital. Some people are on a liquid diet for two weeks before they can eat pureed foods. At about four weeks out, most of us can at least eat "soft" foods.

Edited by catwoman7

I am about to have my own ESG surgery later this month, and I am currently on my pre-op diet.

I have spoken with the mayo-clinic as well as the clinic I am having my procedure.

You still absorb the nutrients in your food. My husband and I can even have another baby in about a year or so- because there isn't any lacking in nutrients to keep baby healthy.

As far as timeline for normal eating... it is MORE STRICT than the VSG. Because there are internal sutures (aka the stitches are in your stomach where your food is) you have to remain on a liquid diet longer than a VSG.

My plan is as follows post-op (from my nutrition guide at my clinic):

My doctor said that if I FOLLOW DIRECTIONS I will not have a problem with failure or leakage. He said when you try new things too soon is when there are issues.

Post Op Diet transitions after surgery

3 days of a Clear liquid Diet 8/26 to 8/29

11 days of a Full Liquid Diet 8/30 to 9/10

14 days of a pureed Diet 9/11 to 9/25

14 days of a Mechanical Soft Diet 9/26 to 10/10

And advance as tolerated to a Regular Diet (10/11 and beyond)

I hope this helps! Feel free to follow my ESG instagram: @kirsten.esg

I am planning to post updates throughout my experience. :)

Edited by pnw.crowe