Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

liver shrink diets aren’t the same

Mine was a liquid diet which was Protein Shakes, broth and Jello for two weeks before my surgery. I was told my liver shrunk down to about 40% of what it used to be.

No pre op diet for me either, I think it depends on starting BMI and surgeon preference.

it varies a lot. It depends on the surgeon. Some surgeons require no special pre-op diet at all. Mine was 4-5 Protein Shakes, unlimited no- or ultra-low-calorie beverages, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, and a limited amount of broth and V8/tomato juice.

No pre-op diet for me. I had tacos the day before surgery.

I didn't have a preop liquid diet. However, I was required to loose 15 lbs from my initial appointment 4 months prior.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had two weeks of a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and then a small, healthy meal for dinner (usually 2-4oz of a lean meat and a cup of veggies).

Seems to be lots of variations of pre surgery diets. I was on a Keto diet for 2.5weeks before with no minimum weight loss required. One friend was on 2 weeks all shakes no specified weight loss required Another was on 2 meals shakes & one meal high Protein, no carbs over 4weeks with a minimum weight loss requirement. I found the diet helped get you in the new mindset in regard to eating.

Good luck with your surgery.

Protein Shake twice a day, crystal light, broths, sugar free Jello and popsicles, 1 cup raw veggies (lettuce, cucumber, tomato.) with Greek yogurt with no fruit....with which I add crystal light to or I'd go insane.

My liquid diet starts tomorrow but I started it on Monday. I'm surprisingly not hungry or craving food anymore, surgery on the 16th.

Edited by Lazy Hermit

My pre-op diet is 2 weeks. The first week is 3 Protein Shakes per day plus one healthy meal (either 3 ounces of lean Protein plus 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables, or a frozen healthy meal under 350 calories with no rice or pasta). The second week is liquid-only, 4 protein shakes per day and broth, plus up to 2 sugar-free Jello or popsicles per day.

One of Dr. Weiner's videos said that he only requires a liver-shrink diet for patients with a BMI over 50 and/or a lot of abdominal fat (as opposed to fat carried in the hips and thighs). My program requires the same diet of all patients regardless of BMI or body shape. I can't remember where I saw this, but I read about a surgeon who says the liver-shrink diets are BS and if your surgeon makes you do it, he or she is just a bad surgeon.

I am on day 9 (2 days into the liquids only week) and it definitely sucks, but if that's what my surgeon thinks will give him the best circumstances for performing the surgery, even if it's nothing but superstition, I'm willing to do it.

19 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I can't remember where I saw this, but I read about a surgeon who says the liver-shrink diets are BS and if your surgeon makes you do it, he or she is just a bad surgeon.

mine requires it and he's on the med school faculty of a major research university - so he teaches other surgeons how to do bariatric surgery. So definitely not a "bad surgeon". It's just a difference in opinion.

45 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

mine requires it and he's on the med school faculty of a major research university - so he teaches other surgeons how to do bariatric surgery. So definitely not a "bad surgeon". It's just a difference in opinion.

Yeah, mine also required it. He said it will shirk the liver down to about 40% of it's original size which gives him more room to work in there. I'm not going to pretend to know more than my surgeon. He tells me to do something so I do it.

I've seen so many people on 600lb life think they know more then Dr. Now. I told myself I wouldn't be one of those people.