Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work after Surgery

I need everyone's opinion. I am having gastric bypass tomorrow and just recieved a call about meeting with a huge potential client on Friday. It would be a 4 hour round trip drive and maybe one-2 hour meeting. I am not ashamed of having surgery (actually super excited) but I do like to keep work and personal seperate. Do you guys think I can handle this short drive and meeting that soon after surgery or should I try to reschedule without giving too many details?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

i dont know about a bypass. but I was mowing grass 3 days after my sleeve with no issues

If you were doing a gastric band then yes but bypass is a bit more involved. I would check with your doctor but I know my surgeon restricts driving until the first follow up is completed.

I think I drove at one week out. I can't remember if I felt like I might be OK doing it before then or not (it's been several years). I didn't really have to since my husband was home with me that first week.

I dont think you will be up for it. You are going to be in pain. You are going to be tired the 1st few weeks. You probably won’t be cleared to drive yet.

I would advise to reschedule. However, if it means losing out on a big client, then maybe you could get someone to drive you back and forth, and you could sleep in the car?

Thanks everyone, chubrub I think that's a great idea, I might not feel well enough to drive but if I get someone to drive for me I should be able to fake it for an hour or two during the meeting even if I don't feel well. I am feeling a little scatterbrained today! I haven't posted much but I have been reading alot and everyone's experiences have helped me prepare. I just finished making protien Jello cups that i saw someone on this site made! I will let you know how they taste later in the week LOL

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a sleeve & was advised no driving for 2weeks plus no lifting for the same time. And Bypass is a more involved surgery.

Four hours driving is tiring enough without the consideration of you just having fairly major surgery. Plus you’ll have low energy as well because your food intake is so low.

I’d reschedule. You could explain you just had surgery. They don’t have to know what sort. I delayed starting a contract because of my surgery. They were excellent & were happy if I couldn’t work a complete day to begin. Think they thought the surgery was for ‘female issues’ so they tread very lightly. Lol!

Or there’s always Skype, Zoom, etc. if that would work.

I’m typically the “tough guy” with these things, but I can tell you I would have been a definite no go in that scenario. I had bypass early evening June 4. I met with my surgeon early morning June 5. I felt great & couldn't wait to go home. I left the hospital early evening June 5 still feeling good. Then, the nerve block and medications start to wear off.

A couple days out, I was fighting horrible gas pain that is only resolved with time, walking, and drugs that make driving unsafe. In my opinion, merely being in the room would be a challenge. I could not imagine being my best self for an important sales meeting. I would suggest presenting 100% of yourself in a couple weeks instead of 25% of yourself Friday.

Good luck!