Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE/JULY/AUGUST 2021 GROUP

I thought it might be a nice idea to create a FB group for anyone who has just started on their journey like myself and will be having sleeve surgery in either June, July or August 2021 (next year) 🙃

I figure it could be nice to have people on the same timeline as ourselves to chat with and support kind of like a baby due in group 😅

search:

Gastric Sleeve Surgery - June/July/August 2021

It’s 3:21am on July 6 and I leave for the hospital in 3 hours to have the sleeve procedure done. I have considered and deliberated the decision to get bariatric surgery for 4 years while I was in while getting my bachelors and now I’ve just graduated with my MBA. I’m 54 and have questioned “why now?”, “am I too old?”. The truth is I don’t feel or think of myself as 54 but my body won’t let me forget it. :) I’ve always thought that in all aspects of my life I was in full control but my relationship with food shows me otherwise. I don’t seek to be a size 2 from a size 22, I don’t imagine myself emotionally and spiritually any different however I am changing and will be changed by my commitment to put me first. This procedure is another tool to help me to make the outside match the inside. I expect some pain and small disappoints as I walk this journey but I know that changing my relationship with food is actually me changing my relationship with myself. I want to be the best version of me and the extra 100 pounds Is a burden on my spirit as well as my frame. I wish us all a safe and healthy journey as we step in to the next chapter of our lives.

4 hours ago, Kimmisi said:

It’s 3:21am on July 6 and I leave for the hospital in 3 hours to have the sleeve procedure done. I have considered and deliberated the decision to get bariatric surgery for 4 years while I was in while getting my bachelors and now I’ve just graduated with my MBA. I’m 54 and have questioned “why now?”, “am I too old?”. The truth is I don’t feel or think of myself as 54 but my body won’t let me forget it. :) I’ve always thought that in all aspects of my life I was in full control but my relationship with food shows me otherwise. I don’t seek to be a size 2 from a size 22, I don’t imagine myself emotionally and spiritually any different however I am changing and will be changed by my commitment to put me first. This procedure is another tool to help me to make the outside match the inside. I expect some pain and small disappoints as I walk this journey but I know that changing my relationship with food is actually me changing my relationship with myself. I want to be the best version of me and the extra 100 pounds Is a burden on my spirit as well as my frame. I wish us all a safe and healthy journey as we step in to the next chapter of our lives.

I had my surgery when I was 55. I always say I should have had it years ago, but to be honest, I'm not sure I was in the right frame of mind to do it years before. It takes A LOT of work and commitment to be successful, and you have to be in the right mindset to do it. I ended up losing 100% of my excess weight. I don't think I would have been nearly as successful if I'd had it 10 or 20 years earlier.

and btw - a lot of us have the surgery in our 50s and 60s - and we occasionally even see someone in their 70s. So you're in good company!

Edited by catwoman7

On 7/6/2020 at 3:46 AM, Kimmisi said:

On 7/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, catwoman7 said:

I had my surgery when I was 55. I always say I should have had it years ago, but to be honest, I'm not sure I was in the right frame of mind to do it years before. It takes A LOT of work and commitment to be successful, and you have to be in the right mindset to do it. I ended up losing 100% of my excess weight. I don't think I would have been nearly as successful if I'd had it 10 or 20 years earlier.

and btw - a lot of us have the surgery in our 50s and 60s - and we occasionally even see someone in their 70s. So you're in good company!

I will be 51 before I will be able to have surgery. I am not scheduled but am currently meeting with a nutritionist and completing others insurance required appointments. I have thought of having the surgery off and on for years but have recently decided I need the help. I feel much as you do Kimmisi. I just want my outside to match my inside. I have been so busy with work, family and school that now it's time for me. I just finished my Masters this spring also and am ready to apply myself to a new challenge. Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery and journey. Looking forward to hearing more...

23 minutes ago, Kathie in the Keys said:

I will be 51 before I will be able to have surgery. I am not scheduled but am currently meeting with a nutritionist and completing others insurance required appointments. I have thought of having the surgery off and on for years but have recently decided I need the help. I feel much as you do Kimmisi. I just want my outside to match my inside. I have been so busy with work, family and school that now it's time for me. I just finished my Masters this spring also and am ready to apply myself to a new challenge. Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery and journey. Looking forward to hearing more...

Hi Kathie,

It seems we’ve been on similar paths to get to this point. Life gets in the way sometimes. Congratulations on your masters!

I am 1 day post op and although I am experiencing pain with gas, I’m drinking 4 ozs every hour: Water, broth or clear Protein. I’ve been walking around the floor about every hour. I am able to go home today.