Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2020 WLS Veterans

Hoping to catch up on long timers... time really changes how some of us are doing.
I’m from 2006 (lap bander) . Still well and maintaining a 80 + weight loss. No more fills for me. I just try to do what works... mostly.. ..no one is perfect!
It took me years to abide. Perhaps my band taught me what I can and cannot do... enough times for me to change habits.
I see many people come through for a few years; I don’t often see long term vets posting about life years later.
Please share your long term WLS lives.
Thanks... stay healthy... despite a pandemic.

Hi Julie! I'm still around too...I am 6 yrs post VSG. Wow, how the time has passed. Initially I had the typical loss of the 'surgery doing the work' and felt great. Followed the rules to a T. But about 18 months post op I made major changes in my life, left a long-time career, moved, went to grad school, took a night position, etc. I started slipping little by little and although it wasn't too bad initially, as time went on I started having regain. Then I lost a parent, graduated grad school, went back AGAIN for a Doctorate, changed jobs again, etc. Finally about 2.75 yrs post op I got some super sobering health news (a condition that my surgery had corrected was back) and had to get real with myself. I had to seriously have a 'come to Jesus' moment with myself and realized the TOOL was still there. I went strict Keto and never looked back. I now have successfully lost my regain, am back where I was at my lowest post op, and am working to maybe drop another 20. No, I can't and probably never will again, eat what I really want to. I'm ok with that. My health condition is hopefully under control. I feel good. I have remained on track. I consider myself a bariatric success and I know a LOT of folks who weren't as fortunate.

Congrats on your long term success. We are some of the faithful... perhaps lucky to carry
Our WLS on for years.
I’m on a bit of upward gain, but have faith 10 lbs can be gone... still takes devotion and time.
Once again. I’m so happy you got to live at a “ normal” (whatever that means to us) life.
I am truly grateful!!

Hi! This is my first time logging on in 2020.

I definitely am very grateful to have had the VSG, in August of 2015. I was miserable and just receding from life. I reached my goal weight in 2016, and then my dream weight in 2017 - the lowest I'd been since I was 14. I perhaps got too thin, down to a size XS / 2, and I'm tall. But I felt amazing and began receiving compliments from strangers and friends alike on looking beautiful, and I felt beautiful.

Unfortunately I regained some weight in 2019 after some dental disasters (I have several baby teeth that lack permanent roots, so they need to all be pulled and replaced with implants) required that I eat nothing but soft food. And then I regained again in 2020 after experimenting with fertility treatments (which weren't successful, sadly) and falling back into depression. I've gained a few more while quarantining since March. Grocery shopping became one of the few out of the house activities after we transitioned to working online, and I slipped into past habits of eating for joy and out of boredom.

My BMI is currently 26, so I'm not too far out from being in a healthy weight range again. I just want to get back on track and prevent continuing regain. I started tracking my food again on MyFitnessPal, and cleaned out the kitchen of temptations. I am hiking more often and going for scenic drives when I'm feeling restless to get out of the house. I returned here for motivation / camaraderie. I hope you are all doing well!

Clementine welcome back! I think a BMI of 26 is generally pretty good considering most of us started at 45+!!

Keep up the hard work. It IS hard work. For life. I am also not one of those lucky ones who lost the weight and never looked back. But I refuse to let my weight win, and I refuse to have had this surgery in vein. I am focused and on track.

Julie, good to hear you're also keeping focused, 10 pounds is very achievable and you know what to do.

So good to hear from you!!! I always appreciated your insight. 5 years out myself asof this April and in my happy range though I need to tone! Stay well my friends.

On 8/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, mi75 said:

Clementine welcome back! I think a BMI of 26 is generally pretty good considering most of us started at 45+!!

Keep up the hard work. It IS hard work. For life. I am also not one of those lucky ones who lost the weight and never looked back. But I refuse to let my weight win, and I refuse to have had this surgery in vein. I am focused and on track.

Julie, good to hear you're also keeping focused, 10 pounds is very achievable and you know what to do.

A belated thanks for your encouragement!!!!

I continued to procrastinate getting back onto track with healthy eating ---- insert half a dozen excuses here ---- but decided today is the day. I'd stayed on course for four years and then got derailed. I think logging back on here, following the Instagrammers who have healthy menu prep photos for inspiration / ideas will help with the process.

Hi Julie and you others, I got my band in May 2012. It worked fine, got down from 285 the day of surgery to 240, then stalled. A few years later tried phentermine, which helped me lose more, for one day in August 2019 I crossed from obese to overweight! Currently back up to 235, having lots of reflux. Just had a total unfill and orders to get an upper GI. I want revision to bypass but we’ll see. I miss the “old gang”, B52, gowalking, jfc193, jim1967, carolinagirl, and 2muchfun.