Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have always been hot natured, I thought the weight kept me hotter than the average person. And I live in the south and the summers are pretty brutal. But I am almost a week post op and I am cold all the time. I turned my air temperature up but I have to be mindful of other people in my household. I walk around with a cardigan on even when the temperature is in the high 80s/low 90s. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I start my Vitamins tomorrow, maybe that will help.

Oh, all the time. When I first was out of surgery, it was worse, though. I think the amount of hormones rushing around in your body has something to do with it, but it does settle down over time. Now that I've lost a lot of weight, it's just because I don't have that fat layer warming me anymore. Not complaining, though. I live in the desert, so it's kinda nice that I'm not miserable all the time now.

I get cold all the time. I used to always run hot, but now I need a jacket or some sort of sweater to wear at night. I just figure I get to buy and wear more good looking coats and sweaters.

Same for me. I used to be hot all the time and wanted the aircon high, and after surgery I was always cold. It has gotten better now that I'm 16 months out, but I still tend to run cold. I actually prefer it to being hot and sweaty all the time!

My husband is going to be pleased to hear it. He always complains about how I try to freeze him out of the house!

When you lose fat you lose a lot of insulation and really feel it! But the terrible cold feeling is largely temporary and as your body equilibrates to your new weight you'll find it easier to tolerate. The plus side is you'll cope much better with the summer heat!

4 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

Oh, all the time. When I first was out of surgery, it was worse, though. I think the amount of hormones rushing around in your body has something to do with it, but it does settle down over time. Now that I've lost a lot of weight, it's just because I don't have that fat layer warming me anymore. Not complaining, though. I live in the desert, so it's kinda nice that I'm not miserable all the time now.

Its not too bad, its just weird for me. I slept with a fan on, I had a fan at my desk and I hate the hot summer's in Atlanta. But now I feel like a lil old lady, can't go anywhere without my sweater.

4 hours ago, BoredCW said:

I get cold all the time. I used to always run hot, but now I need a jacket or some sort of sweater to wear at night. I just figure I get to buy and wear more good looking coats and sweaters.

I'm right there with you. I guess now, I have to up my sweater game.😊

57 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

When you lose fat you lose a lot of insulation and really feel it! But the terrible cold feeling is largely temporary and as your body equilibrates to your new weight you'll find it easier to tolerate. The plus side is you'll cope much better with the summer heat!

You're right, I couldn't imagine how i would feel if it was winter time.

Freezing, all the time!

I can't seem to warm up, especially my hands. I wear my puffer jacket in my office all day!

That was me as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Every single day. And I’m menopausal! Grocery shopping is the worst. I was wearing long sleeve tops in the middle of a Queensland summer & would be so cold it was painful. I think my low BP contributes as well as the lack of fatty insulation.

16 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

it's very common among WLS patients. For some people it stays with them for years - for others, it eventually resolves. Granted after losing over 200 lbs I rarely got as hot as I did pre-WLS, but I don't freeze all the time any more, either. I think I'm more like a normal person now.

17 hours ago, futurefinemama said:

I have always been hot natured, I thought the weight kept me hotter than the average person. And I live in the south and the summers are pretty brutal. But I am almost a week post op and I am cold all the time. I turned my air temperature up but I have to be mindful of other people in my household. I walk around with a cardigan on even when the temperature is in the high 80s/low 90s. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I start my Vitamins tomorrow, maybe that will help.

Almost 3 yrs later. . . I'm still cold