Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! So I have a dinner planned for tomorrow and I’m sweating bullets about how to manage it. My husband and his new work friends and their wives will be meeting up— a small group of three couples including us. I’m trying to be very discrete about my operation and would not want to disclose it to them. I’m in the puréed stage of the diet. I’m truly not tolerating much at all. What would you recommend I have them opt for? One option is Italian with Soups like Tomato bisque, mushroom Soup. Other is a Thai place with hot pot style soups. And another is a ramen place. What would you opt for?

I went out a few times early on, and Soup was my go-to. You can always claim to have had a late lunch :)

Good point! Thank you. I think the anxiety is more in my head. I’m just afraid of being a hicupping/burping weirdo at the table.

Soup is the go to at this stage. I’d probably avoid the ramen or Thai options because of the meats, vegetables & noodles. Would be more obvious if you just consumed the broth whilst leaving the rest of the ingredients with those. Just remember to eat slowly & don’t have anything to drink or you fill up to quickly.

Hope you enjoy your evening.

Thank you! Great advice!

I went out on several occasions in the first couple of months after surgery. I let people know that I had an upset stomach and would only be eating Soup (or whatever it was I ordered).

not ramen - it's WAY too early for noodles. I would agree with the others that maybe the Italian place. pureed Soups should be OK.

I'd stick with creamy Soups like the Tomato bisque or mushroom. Less obvious than if you were fishing chunks out of other types of soups. Eat slow and enjoy the company. This may surprise you, but more likely than not they'll be so focused on themselves and the conversation that they probably won't even notice what you eat or how much you do/don't eat.

I don't know if Thai restaurants have this, but when we'd go out to Chinese I always got egg drop Soup.

12 hours ago, Dee.Lams said:

Hi! So I have a dinner planned for tomorrow and I’m sweating bullets about how to manage it. My husband and his new work friends and their wives will be meeting up— a small group of three couples including us. I’m trying to be very discrete about my operation and would not want to disclose it to them. I’m in the puréed stage of the diet. I’m truly not tolerating much at all. What would you recommend I have them opt for? One option is Italian with Soups like Tomato bisque, mushroom Soup. Other is a Thai place with hot pot style Soups. And another is a ramen place. What would you opt for?

Don't sweat it at all! I would be surprised if anyone noticed what you're eating. IF they do, just say you're not too hungry, following the latest Pinterest Soup diet, etc. Who is going to question you that you're not eating enough?? you know? ;) But, yes, like others said; brothey-soups, or avoid the 'bits' that are in the soup, I would avoid Tomato and anything that can trigger heartburn. Nothing spicy, and don't eat the noodles yet. You'll be fine. :D