Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

F it I'm going to smoke



Recommended Posts

I am going to get sleeved out. And the net is blowing up a bid deal about smokeing and surgery. Were still only talking a 2% death rate and 5% complication rate, I like my odds. And dont want to here it from people giving me a high horse opinion. This is for the somkers info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are an adult (I assume) you can do what you want. Some surgeons do test before surgery for nicotine and will cancel the surgery if necessary.

I do get a sense you are trolling though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Babcocktyler18 said:

I am going to get sleeved out. And the net is blowing up a bid deal about smokeing and surgery. Were still only talking a 2% death rate and 5% complication rate, I like my odds. And dont want to here it from people giving me a high horse opinion. This is for the somkers info.

Some surgeons will conduct a nicotine/drug test before clearing you for surgery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Some surgeons will conduct a nicotine/drug test before clearing you for surgery

Really? Never heard of this...wow.

Of course surgeons will recommend that patients stop smoking before surgery. They also recommend it before hip or knee replacement etc.

However, while in the hospital I saw a lot of patients smoking before and after surgery. People getting the surgery are usually grown-ups. In the end the patient has to make the decision and you know what? Most doctors give a damn in the end if the patient stops smoking or not. You just have to be in the game long enough, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's multiple reasons for not smoking.

The chemicals in nicotine will definitely interfere with your healing and your breathing and every organ in your body.

Most surgeons won't operate on someone that is not serious enough to make changes to save their lives...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, summerset said:

Really? Never heard of this...wow.

things may be different in the US than in Europe. Or at least among some surgeons. I was also given a nicotine test and was told they wouldn't operate if it was positive (I used to smoke - but I quit 26 years ago...). I've never been in a hospital that's allowed smoking in the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, summerset said:

Really? Never heard of this...wow.

Of course surgeons will recommend that patients stop smoking before surgery. They also recommend it before hip or knee replacement etc.

However, while in the hospital I saw a lot of patients smoking before and after surgery. People getting the surgery are usually grown-ups. In the end the patient has to make the decision and you know what? Most doctors give a damn in the end if the patient stops smoking or not. You just have to be in the game long enough, lol.

Yes during my preops they included a drug test even though i have never smoked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 3:54 AM, GreenTealael said:

Some surgeons will conduct a nicotine/drug test before clearing you for surgery

This is correct. I have known this to happen. Some dr.'s tell their patients to stop.... and before sx, if they show positive on the test.... cancel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×