Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMR after bariatric surgery

Approximately 40% of patients struggle with their weight loss rate, or metabolic rate, after bariatric surgery, and at least 30% previously had or develop a low metabolic rate after surgery. Metabolic rate is the speed at which calories are burned.

Explains why I easily lost weight before surgery but have only lost 3 pounds since. Also, my age decreases BMR.

I am switching to caffienated coffee to help boost my BMR.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm not sure what BMR Is exactly but after BYPASS my weight came off quickly and easily

2 hours ago, over65 said:

Approximately 40% of patients struggle with their weight loss rate, or metabolic rate, after bariatric surgery, and at least 30% previously had or develop a low metabolic rate after surgery. Metabolic rate is the speed at which calories are burned.

Explains why I easily lost weight before surgery but have only lost 3 pounds since. Also, my age decreases BMR.

I’m 66 and have researched these articles, as well. It makes sense that our BMR is lowered after weight loss surgery, as we’re maintaining and supporting a lower body weight. My loss is slower than 20 or 30 year olds, but I can see with patience and diligence it is happening.

Your profile doesn’t show your type surgery, date, etc, so not sure how long it’s been that you’ve only lost 3 lbs? I wish you a picked up pace with the coffee! I do enjoy one cup in the morning to start my day.

Edited by Lily66

13 hours ago, over65 said:

I'm just over 60 and was told several times by both my nutritionist and surgeon that the best way to boost BMR is to build muscle.

AARP currently is hosting a "Get Moving" video series for strengthening the body, something that we older people need to do. Here's a link to the first videos:

https://campaigns.aarp.org/getmovingLP1/?cmp=IM-HEALTH-HL-LPTWO-2020-Previous

It requires a time investment of as little as 10 minutes a day.

I don't see where to put my profile. My highest weight was 245. BMI 44. My weight on day of surgery was 211. My weight on postop visit was 200. Seemed to take a long time to make 199. For 3 weeks I have been between 196-198. I have lost inches down to size 16 jeans from size 20.

I had VSG on May 28 so one month out. I lost 11 pounds within 10 days of surgery. But then stalled with caloric intake 400-500 calories per day. I have been lifting 3 lbs weights to build up biceps hoping to minimize bat wings. I easily lost 30 pounds before surgery. And have been walking 30 minutes 4 times a week. Been frustrating to see plus 1 lbs and minus 1 pound for 3 weeks. I just started soft stage yesterday after 2 weeks pureed stage.

3 minutes ago, over65 said:

I don't see where to put my profile. I had VSG on May 28 so one month out. I lost 6 pounds first week but then stalled for three weeks while on clear and full liquids and caloric intake 400-500 calories per day. I easily lost 30 pounds before surgery. And have been walking 30 minutes 4 times a week. Been frustrating to see plus 1 lbs and minus 1 pound for 3 weeks. I just started soft food stage yesterday after 2 weeks pureed food.< br />
Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

I would be looking closely at every thing you put in your mouth unless you have a metabolic disorder it's near impossible to not lose weight when only on liquids...

Could be that your body fat percentage is decreasing while you are retaining Water. Unfortunately, body fat percentage home scales are very unreliable -- the best can be off by 21%. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/body-fat-scale-accuracy

If you are drinking lots of water but not eliminating it frequently, that could point to a water retention problem. Your surgeon may be able to help you figure out why you have this early prolonged stall.

😕Over65, Do you see your surgeon or nurse practitioner soon? I would definitely try to see them very soon and ask for guidance and advice. You deserve it!!

Talked with dietitian on the phone. She says I am not eating enough calories (never have been told to eat MORE in my life). Told me to aim for 800 per day. I started caffeinated coffee 2 days ago and lost 2 pounds. She said ok for coffee as I am getting 80-90oz fluids a day.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

So glad dietician encouraged a new plan, over65. It was and still is hard for me to up the calories too, but was told exactly as you were and it seems to work. Good luck!!