Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going in wrong direction-Help

On 6/25/2020 at 8:09 PM, wallak said:

I need any ideas/tips that anyone can offer. Someone that has gone though a weight gain of 40 lbs and got it back off.

Yeah well, that was long ago after I stopped smoking and still had a lap band. I don't know if it was 40 lbs or a bit less but it was a significant gain.

I don't know if my answer will be helpful since when I stopped smoking my appetite went up and I started eating more. What got me "back on track" was getting into intuitive eating. I lost the weight without struggle but it took a while.

Mind you, this was like 16 or 17 years ago so don't ask about details how long it took to gain and lose the weight.

55 minutes ago, JessLess said:

OK, I found my people. Good.

I got sleeved 10/18 and reached my goal of 175. I am now in perimenopause. Such fun. Then I decided to try to get to 150. I got down to 161 and COVID hit. I never stopped tracking.

II just want help staying motivated. Thanks in advance!

Perimenopause is the scourge of the gods. I had been normal weight until then and had been able to eat huge quantities of food and never gain weight. Then perimenopause: 136 to 245 at my highest, over the years. For some of us, our metabolism nosedives.

You were doing great and still are in good shape. You've caught the gain creep in time and you're doing everything right -- logging/exercising... Maybe you might consider making a long list of really low-calorie foods (e.g., radishes, cherry tomatoes) that taste good and can satisfy snack cravings. Also, come to the forum whenever you need encouragement. Even if that means a few times a day for awhile. There are hundreds of thousands of posts by people who are in similar situations and also by people who have managed to overcome weight regain. We're in this together through the ups and downs. And we all, every one of us, go through them.

12 hours ago, summerset said:
On 6/26/2020 at 4:09 AM, wallak said:

I need any ideas/tips that anyone can offer. Someone that has gone though a weight gain of 40 lbs and got it back off.

I reached my "happy weight" about a year post op. Then I gained 50 lbs or so over six months and stayed that weight for a solid year. I figured that was my new "set point" and I basically gave up. However, back in February, I was pretty miserable. I ended up going on a new medication (e.g. antidepressant). The pandemic hit as I was adjusting to the new medication. I don't know if it was the medication or everything going on in the world, but I just felt a new sense of focus to deal with the regain around May (my Birthday). I lost about 20 lbs since May (rewarding myself with an arm lift). I know there's still work to do, but whether or not I lose the rest of the weight, I'm trying to deal with my problems without eating.

To lose my regain, I had to go back to basics. High Protein, tracking calories on my fitness pal, walking every morning and classes at the gym (once it reopened). As wacky as it sounds, the less I eat, the more I feel my restriction again. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the early months following the op, but I feel "full" when I'm eating healthy Proteins. I just need to avoid my trigger food (chocolate and ice cream) which slide down so easily.

My other tip is just about adjusting your mindset - which is very hard to do right now. I'm trying to stay positive. Look on the bright side of life - which is challenging because I'm a pretty anxious, negative person generally and there are a lot of terrible things happening. I just keep thinking about my blessings. And I'm so proud of what I have achieved losing 20 lbs in 2-3 months, I'm lucky enough to still have my job. If I do get COVID, I'm much healthier than I was 3 years ago.

Finally, I really try and keep a healthy routine and avoid the bad habits I fell into. I try and get enough sleep. Drag myself out to exercise. Healthy Breakfast every day. These little routines and rituals seem to help me.

Good luck! I know you can do it.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:39 AM, wallak said:

I have not been on here in years but don’t know where to go for help. I had the sleeve on 6-10-13 I lost 135 pounds and was extremely happy with the results over the years I was able to maintain and would go up and down a little but stayed within 10 pounds of my lowest weight of 140. Then COVID hit and now I am working from home and don’t get out much and I am weighing in at 180. I am terrified to gain my weight back and can already feel it in my joints and such just the weight I put on. I can’t seem to get back on track. I need any ideas/tips that anyone can offer. Someone that has gone though a weight gain of 40 lbs and got it back off.

thanks

You need to get your heart and head back in the game... Go back to logging everything and even go back to liquid diet for a week restart your diet and your metabolism

1 hour ago, New&Improved said:

You need to get your heart and head back in the game... Go back to logging everything and even go back to liquid diet for a week restart your diet and your metabolism

For many people, starving (liquid diet for a week) leads to binging. You had your surgery so recently you don't seem to be aware that restrictions go away for many people after a few years out. Please don't give advice that could be harmful.

I'm not sure why you are posting in the veterans room anyway.

Edited by JessLess

@Jessless great work on the one pound. It all adds up over time. Additionally getting the Snacks out of the house always helps! It sounds like you know what the issue is. I had a poop ton of weight gain and I am now down 13 pounds. I’m over the moon. It has been S L O W and steady but I went back to Protein first, not drinking with meals, cutting out crappy food, and exercising 4 days a week. We’ve got this. Keep at it and be patient with results.

I am 10 years out. 64 years old. I went from 320 - 300 at surgery - to 165. I could never hold on to 165; but held on to 170 to 175 for about 5 years. Overweight, but had lost more than 70% my excess weight, and my doctors were VERY pleased; and so was I.

A year ago I realized I was 220 pounds and freaked out. Decided to try to lose 10 pounds in a year. Nothing drastic. Once I started eating less, eating mindfully, intentionally, and using my VSG by eating Protein first, increasing healthy fats, lowering carbs.... but keeping a daily treat.... changing HOW I ate, what I ate. I have lost an average of 3 pounds a month for the last 13 months. 41 pounds gone. I have some medical/physical challenges exercise is limited. No "working out" for me - but I swim during summer, do active gardening and dance in the living room when it is only the dog and I around.

I only work on one pound at a time. I reset my personal goal at where I was comfortable.

2 hours ago, JessLess said:

For many people, starving (liquid diet for a week) leads to binging. You had your surgery so recently you don't seem to be aware that restrictions go away for many people after a few years out. Please don't give advice that could be harmful.

I'm not sure why you are posting in the veterans room anyway.

Agreed. Protein Shakes for me were poison. I ended up in the hospital really serious issues. We have to be careful not to tell people what to do. We should suggest what worked for us, and how it worked, why it worked. And what didn't work for us. Then our bariatric friends can try different suggestions on. Making statements With "you need to" Or "you have to" Or "you should" - should only apply to YOU SHOULD CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR....

I try to let people know that you CAN turn around every 10 years out, and that we can still use our surgeries to benefit us

For anyone dealing with regain, I FULLY suggest reaching out to your surgical team, nutritionist, psychiatrist, surgeon etc. They are there for you. Get some blood work done. Have a virtual meeting with your surgeon to talk about non surgical help. Support groups are virtual now but there are LOTS of them online! Seek them out.

Regain is REAL. But we all have the TOOL to help us get the weight back off, and we all KNOW what to do. I had regain too, don't let me sound high and mighty- I had regain about 2 years post op but successfully got it off and continue to lose. It's a struggle and THE STRUGGLE IS REAL...

Finally, I know for ME, I decided I must ALWAYS identify as a WLS patient. I can't ever walk away. I must always log in, read posts, seek support, etc. I still order Protein and use it in the AM. I still count protein. I still keep my diet VERY LOW carb. It works for me. What works for me won't work for all. But there IS a solution out there for you.

Ugh I feel better reading this and so motivated. I too have been working from home since COVID. I work in healthcare administration but anyone not taking care of patients has been work from home since March. I have a high stress job and a lot of responsibility so this has been a truly difficult time. I've never worked more in my life trying to keep our teams safe and keeping up with constantly changing rules and regulations.

I was sleeved 5 years ago and got pregnant a year and a half after. We had been trying for 5 years. After my pregnancy I slowly gained back and COVID has made it worse. I'm finally back in the gym and working my ass off but I need to get a handle on my eating. Thanks for reminding me to GET BACK TO THE BASICS! Protein first, Water, veggies, HINT of carbs.