Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 mo post- bloating and constipation

Hi, hope everyone is well. sorry if it’s TMI...but I don’t know what Is ok to do besides increasing Water. Btw, I always have a water bottle with me and drink often. I’m thinking of taking a stool softener. Any other recommendations? I’m watching my portions and focus on Protein and struggle to get in fruits/veggies. I’m just wondering if others go through this. Thanks!

the bloating could be related. If there's enough backed up in there, then air can't get past it, causing bloating.

chronic Constipation is a very common problem for both RNY and VSG patients. A lot of people take a capful of Miralax every morning to keep things moving. Others take stool softeners, Smooth Move tea, magnesium tablets, or eat a few prunes every day. Whatever works for you!

I've been putting a capful of Miralax in my morning Protein Shake for years. That's usually enough to keep me regular, but I still get backed up a couple of times a month. When I do, a night or two of Milk of Magnesia will usually do the trick.

I had the same problem and started using Metamucil sugar free everyday and that fixed me right up. It's never caused bloating and has always kept things flowing normally for me.

I get CVS brand Fiber and stir in a tsp every day to my first glass of Water. Sometimes I feel I need a little more, so I'll do it twice in a day.

And yes forcing the water intake helps.

Thank you all, I have a morning shake so I will definitely add some fiber. I’ll be fine for a few days and then it shuts down again and I have to get aggressive. Guess my system needs some help now.

3 minutes ago, GinaFigz said:

Thank you all, I have a morning shake so I will definitely add some Fiber. I’ll be fine for a few days and then it shuts down again and I have to get aggressive. Guess my system needs some help now.

just make sure that if you're currently backed up, that you take something like a stool softener or magnesium or Miralax before you start adding on the fiber. Otherwise, there's a risk the fiber will just add to the "jam". Once the jam is cleared and you're going pretty regularly again, THEN add the fiber to maintain the regularity. Some people take things like Metamucil every day to keep regular.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:56 AM, catwoman7 said:

Otherwise, there's a risk the fiber will just add to the "jam".

Thank you for this, I decided to take the stool softener instead and then once I feel regular again, I’ll add some fiber. It’s been such a journey because of the new balancing act with nutrients, Water, electrolytes, fiber.....it’s definitely a learning curve to figure out what works and doesn’t.