Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss the social parts?

I'm just about 6 months post op and am doing fantastic- I'm losing weight steadily (almost 90lbs!!), eating well, and feeling better than I have in ages. However, I live in a very small town, leaving me with very limited options. My partners like to go out to eat with friends normally once a week, but with there only being fast food joints in this town (i.e. unhealthy fried stuff), I have been having to sit at the table while they eat with only a glass of Water or just completely forgo going along.

It's been really isolating and making me feel super left out. They have started to eat at home more so we can all eat together, but I never realized how social food was until my options became so limited. Besides making them eat at home (I feel bad because then my girlfriend ends up having to cook all the time instead of going out to eat), I just feel like there is no way for me to participate. Does anyone else feel like their social time has been affected with surgery?

Is it possible that the managers would let you bring something small to eat if you speak to them beforehand? You could some Soup or something easy in a food flask if so.

Weight watchers would say to bring some of your own food to nibble on or order a salad.

In the early months, I would take a Protein Shake (or powders) as well as beef Jerky in my purse whenever I went out. As you are six months out, you *should* be able to order something off the menu, even if it is just a side or appetizer or maybe even a Soup? Or even a regular meal and just pick out the stuff you don't want/can't eat.

Though honestly, I cared more for the company than the food anyway...the surgery didn't alter the regularity to which I went to restaurants/bars/parties/family get-togethers.

It may just be a matter of getting used to? Maybe the more you go out and not make food the central focus, the more it won't bother you as much?

Wendy's has chili - and I'm pretty sure places like Burger King and McDonald's have grilled chicken sandwiches and wraps - so you could always punt the bread (or half of it) if you're low carbing or if the calories are too high. Or eat half of it and take the rest home. Or maybe order a salad and bring your own lo-cal dressing (??). Or sometimes I'd bring in a Protein Bar and eat it discreetly.

UPDATE: I just checked BK and McDonald's menus and it looks like they're just offering a limited menu these days (or at least the ones here are) - probably because of COVID. I didn't see grilled chicken, unfortunately. My go-to at McD's these days (although I rarely go there - unless I'm traveling) is an Egg McMuffin. It's 300 calores, high Protein. If you're low carbing, then just eat the innards or take off the top half of the muffin.

Edited by catwoman7

Yeah, have to agree with all of the above. There are always options at every restaurant. I still eat with friends etc, but usually get a MUCH smaller plate in order to look like Im eating a normal amount. It also helps me fool myself in my head. Another thing I did recently when I was eating at a work dinner was eat what I could and then take the rest of the plate to the kitchen to get it away from me. Yeah, ppl were looking at my differently, but it was worth being able to just sit there and drink a cup of hot tea and socialize. It turns out that in the end ppl started drinking and I had a hilarious time watching them all drink. I sort of became the default designated driver and had such a fun time. So you just have to find a way through the challenge. You can do it!

Oh and considering Covid and all, you are actually helping everyone by eating at their or your home. So they might not even think it's about you at all and just a good thing to do considering the state of things.

Edited by Krestel

On 6/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, Sammi_Katt said:

I'm just about 6 months post op and am doing fantastic- I'm losing weight steadily (almost 90lbs!!), eating well, and feeling better than I have in ages. However, I live in a very small town, leaving me with very limited options. My partners like to go out to eat with friends normally once a week, but with there only being fast food joints in this town (i.e. unhealthy fried stuff), I have been having to sit at the table while they eat with only a glass of Water or just completely forgo going along.

It's been really isolating and making me feel super left out. They have started to eat at home more so we can all eat together, but I never realized how social food was until my options became so limited. Besides making them eat at home (I feel bad because then my girlfriend ends up having to cook all the time instead of going out to eat), I just feel like there is no way for me to participate. Does anyone else feel like their social time has been affected with surgery?

There is a lady on youtube called weightloss at any age wlaa she recommends alot of tips for post op such as your own mug for social events.