Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching Insurance

Anyone have any experience with switching insurance during the process?

I have IBX, went through the whole process and found out I was not covered when it came to surgery time.

I am switching to Aetna, which starts Sept 1st.

I am currently doing Optifast and meeting with a dietitian to hit the 12 dietitian meeting requirement.

I have a few concerns...

1. When Aetna kicks in I will have all the requirements done (Aetnas requirements). Do you think they will make me do them again?

2. I could be below the 40 bmi by then, will they take my initial weight from last year when I started the process or my current weight. (I have no other health issues)

Just feel like something is going to go wrong. I just want the surgery to be done!

Anyone have any experience with switching insurance companies?

I did. My new company did accept my previous dietitian visits I had under the former insurance company - so they counted toward my six month requirement. That's the only requirement I completed - or almost completed - before switching companies, though - and my BMI was so high there was no chance it would be under 40 when I switched. So I'm not sure what your new insurance company will say. You can always call customer service at the new place and ask...and you may have to speak to a manager to be sure.