Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching Insurance

Anyone have any experience with switching insurance during the process?

I have IBX, went through the whole process and found out I was not covered when it came to surgery time.

I am switching to Aetna, which starts Sept 1st.

I am currently doing Optifast and meeting with a dietitian to hit the 12 dietitian meeting requirement.

I have a few concerns...

1. When Aetna kicks in I will have all the requirements done (Aetnas requirements). Do you think they will make me do them again?

2. I could be below the 40 bmi by then, will they take my initial weight from last year when I started the process or my current weight. (I have no other health issues)

Just feel like something is going to go wrong. I just want the surgery to be done!

Anyone have any experience with switching insurance companies?

I did. My new company did accept my previous dietitian visits I had under the former insurance company - so they counted toward my six month requirement. That's the only requirement I completed - or almost completed - before switching companies, though - and my BMI was so high there was no chance it would be under 40 when I switched. So I'm not sure what your new insurance company will say. You can always call customer service at the new place and ask...and you may have to speak to a manager to be sure.

I doubt they will make you do everything again, so long as certain examinations are done within a specific time period. For example, with my insurance, my psycheval could not be older than 6 months. However, due to Covid they were ok with it being at almost the one year mark. I was approved in 2 days. I switched insurance in January 2020, began the process in June/July 2019.

Edited by Repeatingthoughts
sp

No issues! Approved right away!

For mine. I switched from Aetna (my plan did not have weight loss coverage) to United Healthcare midSteam and they took my previous visits. And my BMI dropped below 40, but I had sleep apnea and high blood pressure too. If you have eligible comorbities, you should be OK. Ask the insurance person at the doc’s office to verify.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!