Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First appointment with Psychologist

What are the types of questions on the “test”. I was told there are multiple choice questions and true and false.
tests make me nervous.

To be honest, I don't remember exactly. I did my Psyche eval a year ago (it was last June). But from what I remember I think they ask you tons of things from your relationship with food to mental health to family to work, etc. I was very honest. I was dealing with depression and anxiety at the time because of my TN coming back and funny enough most of the appointment was spent talking about how I was dealing with it and what I was going to do if it got back to what it had been like at it's worst, right before I had my brain surgery. I, honestly, didn't think she would pass me, but she did. I only had to see her the once, but she did advise me that if I felt like I was struggling with anything be it diet, family, work, or my health that I should make another appointment with her. I haven't needed to.

The evaluation is in part to see if you are mentally able to handle the change, not just to your diet, but how it's going to change your life. Because the surgery changes your relationship with food, how you look at yourself, and with those around you. It may be small changes, or large ones, but the changes are there none the less. I think they also want to know what you're expecting of the surgery and if those expectations are going to crash and burn because you expect too much. There are people out there who have the surgery because they don't like themselves and expect that they'll like themselves if they lose weight. It doesn't work like that though. If you don't like yourself then losing weight, honestly isn't going to change that. I liked who I was as I person, but hated that I may not have been around to watch my nieces grow up because I was almost 400 pounds. My motivation was that I wanted to watch them grow up. That was what finally pushed me into having the surgery when I'd been making up excuses for years as to why I COULDN'T.

I wish you the best of luck on your psyche eval. It's normal to be nervous so try not to stress to much!

I don't remember exactly other than there were TONS of questions (I think it took a couple of hours), and a lot of them seemed repetitive.

I just took my written test last week, it's really no big deal. Some of it is obvious, like "do you hear voices?" kind of thing, some of it is stuff like t/f "I had a great relationship with my father." Some of it is things like t/f "when I am upset, I turn to food for comfort." Then there was this, IMO trick question: t/f "I like everyone I know." (I answered false, but there's more than one connotation to that one, isn't there?) ;) You'll do fine.

A lot of true false "I like poetry" I enjoy gardening I wake up often at night...ect ect.

Focus on words like always, never which in most people are never true. I've lived a lifetime on psych meds and weekly psychotherapy. Shocked my psychologist when MMPI-2 revealed NO mental health problems at all. Wow. I just answered honestly and knew that always and never statements aren't true for almost all people. There are stupid, outdated questions like wanting to be a librarian (don't most of use use web for library), enjoy reading newspaper articles (most never read newspaper anymore). Some are repeated to see if you are answering questions the same (gives reliability score). Don't sweat it. Just answer what is true for you within past 6 months.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

19 minutes ago, over65 said:

There are stupid, outdated questions like wanting to be a librarian (don't most of use use web for library), enjoy reading newspaper articles (most never read newspaper anymore).

I'm a retired librarian (retired two years ago). Trust me, LOTS of people still use libraries!

My eval didn't have a single questionnaire, not one. The doctor just talked to me to find out if I knew the ramifications and permanence of WLS, and asked a few questions about my relationship with food.