Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry after BPD-DS

@TeRo Everyone is different. I do know a few people who were starving, postop. At 4 days out, I realize you're limited in what you can eat. If you're on pureed foods, I'd puree chicken, tuna, etc. Protein is OK.

I’m 5 months post op and I wasn’t hungry at all the first few months. I would contact your dr/nutritionist if you feel something is out of the ordinary.

Wow I thought I was the only one ! I am hungry at 6 days post op and I had the modified duodenal switch known as SIPS on 8/24/2020. I wake up with hunger feelings so bad that it cramps my sides sometimes. It is weird. Being that the modification is fairly new I pray that our surgeons can have legitimate answers. Best wishes 💕

KrissyNY, I am scheduled to have the SIPS procedure mid-September and was hoping I could get some feedback from you. I’m so terrified of the side effects ( Long lasting terrible gas and diarrhea) have you experienced these side effects? How was the pain after surgery? Are you glad you had the procedure?

@sunseeker I had the traditional DS 15+ years ago, which if anything, is sometimes reputed to give more gas and diarrhea than the SIPS procedure. It's controllable by what you eat and when. For instance, I don't eat simple carbs like bread or Cereal during the day bc I don't want the gas at work. I eat them at home. Same with ice cream or chocolate.

For a snack or perhaps lunch, I'll eat a triple cheeseburger or two from McDonald's but I won't eat the bun. Mainly bc it's too filling and I need the Protein first but also bc I don't want gas or stool issues. What happens is you learn what you can eat and what will cause problems and you adjust when you eat what accordingly.

I also carry a small vial of this for when I go to the bathroom. It works wonders.

And I carry a small vial of perfume in the rear pocket of my slacks in case I do have a bit of gas. I just spray the bottom of my pants to ensure no smell remains.

Edited by Postop

Thank you so much for getting back with me. I really appreciate your insight and the helpful tips!!

@sunseeker I am 4 weeks out from the sadi-s surgery, and I haven't had any terrible troubles with gas, pain, etc. I'd say the biggest challenges so far are mostly mental ones...adjusting to a new routine and trying not to waste food.

about a week post op, i began to literally get hungry every 2-3 hours. It was insane!!! I felt like a toddler on a bottle schedule since i was literally eating baby food with Protein Powder mixed in, pureed Soups in baby food jars, and Gatorade zero. but once I transitioned from purees to soft and then regular textured foods, that went away. now, i have to schedule my meals as I don't feel hungry at all. I think it all comes down to how your body heals and how your system reacts to the surgery.

I am one-week post-op. The constant hunger pain has been the worst 'side effect" I've had. I have trouble sleeping and awaken with hunger pain so bad my stomach is cramping. I've had very little pain otherwise...just the occasional gas bubble pain.

I talked to my Surgeon about this hunger issue yesterday at my one-week post-op appt. He said with the DS there is "more stomach" than the other surgeries, so its not unusual to be hungry. He wanted to make sure it was not the pyloric valve (stomach to the duodenum) that was inflamed and making it feel like hunger. I have had no other issues and have easily been able to meet hydration and Protein goals. He let me go ahead and add a small amount of plain Greek yogurt, applesauce, and cottage cheese to my full liquid diet. I also started in drinking several glasses of hot green tea with stevia (helps). Just an FYI, but I would suggest asking your Dr if your hunger is really feeling like an issue. He also recommended some gas x, and Devrom (sold on bariatric pal), as it seems I'm somewhat sensitive to all the whey protein...if you know what I mean.

I talked to my Surgeon about this hunger issue yesterday at my one-week post-op appt. He said with the DS there is "more stomach" than the other surgeries, so its not unusual to be hungry. He wanted to make sure it was not the pyloric valve (stomach to the duodenum) that was inflamed and making it feel like hunger. I have had no other issues and have easily been able to meet hydration and Protein goals. He let me go ahead and add a small amount of plain Greek yogurt, applesauce, and cottage cheese to my full liquid diet. I also started in drinking several glasses of hot green tea with stevia (helps). Just an FYI, but I would suggest asking your Dr if your hunger is really feeling like an issue. He also recommended some gas x, and Devrom (sold on bariatric pal), as it seems I'm somewhat sensitive to all the whey protein...if you know what I mean.

This post was a mental life saver. Thank you for the update.

Sent from my SM-G988U using BariatricPal mobile app

Update on the whey Protein. I was sensitive to 'milk concentrate" whey protein. This includes the bariatric pal Soups, puddings, and GNC lean shakes. It caused a lot of very foul gas and bowel discomfort. whey isolate, GENEPRO, and several GNC shakes have been fine. I was not sensitive to the milk concentrate whey shakes before. The cottage cheese also gave me issues and I had to cut it out. Greek yogurt has been fine. So if you are stocking up before surgery I highly recommend making sure you get whey isolate, especially the Genepro as it has no flavor and can be added to anything to boost your protein intake.