Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anybody clarify for me WHY I do not get the B12 shot but have to eat B12 Vitamin pills?

I know HIGH B12 can hide ilnesses or diseases, but I don't see any other reason why they are so hesitant to give me the shot. It would have been so much simpler because the shot lasts me about 6-8 months 🤨 the pills does not do anything for me.

a lot of us seem to have high B12. Yes, it COULD be the sign of something serious, but most of the time, it's not. Mine is always high - at one time was over 2000. My surgeon just shrugged and said maybe I could cut back a little since I'm clearly absorbing it. But he was completely unconcerned with the number.

I'm not sure why yours won't let you get the injection. Most of the bypass people I know take B12 via sublingual tablet, but I know the shot is an option for us. I don't personally know anyone who takes it that way, though.

32 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

a lot of us seem to have high B12. Yes, it COULD be the sign of something serious, but most of the time, it's not. Mine is always high - at one time was over 2000. My surgeon just shrugged and said maybe I could cut back a little since I'm clearly absorbing it. But he was completely unconcerned with the number.

I'm not sure why yours won't let you get the injection. Most of the bypass people I know take B12 via sublingual tablet, but I know the shot is an option for us. I don't personally know anyone who takes it that way, though.

I don't absorb the pills, so I wanted the shot, but got told that I had to try the pills first. And they still don't do any good. The injection lasted me 6 months for one little shot. I am game for taking it twice a year .

It may be just a cost thing, as is often the case with different health care programs - try the cheapest thing first, then move up in cost. Yes, the pills quite likely don't do much for you as they are not well processed by a pouch type stomach of a typical bypass, sublingual tablets that break down in your mouth are usually specified, or the shots.

You can get B12 injections outside of your doctors office if you choose. I was getting mine at an acupuncture clinic near me for a reasonable cost because I preferred it over taking orally. At my 6 month lab check, my B12 was >2000 however, so my doctor did recommend stopping the injections and trying oral again. My one year isn’t until August, so not sure how well I’ve been absorbing the oral B12 yet, but I feel good!

Can anybody clarify for me WHY I do not get the B12 shot but have to eat B12 Vitamin pills?
I know HIGH B12 can hide ilnesses or diseases, but I don't see any other reason why they are so hesitant to give me the shot. It would have been so much simpler because the shot lasts me about 6-8 months [emoji2955] the pills does not do anything for me.

I know here i n uk they aren't doing them at the moment too prevent covid 19 exposure. I'm getting them but just coz I am very low and unwell.