Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been eating a lot of Cereal lately. Both because the dietitian wants me, and because - well it is a slider food for me and I need the calories.

I find myself eating the cereal in dry form more often now, or I blend it in some yoghurt. I get pains if I eat it with milk or chocolate milk (yes, I use choccie milk on my cereal, because why not 😂). And it occurred to me that it might be because it is food + liquids in one- and some of us might know that foods and liquids sometimes does not blend well.

How do we eat cereals the common way ? Can we eat it the common way?

I don't often eat regular Cereal, but when I do, I eat it with milk. I've always been a fan of "soggy" cereal, so I just let it get soggy then eat it. I don't do it because I HAVE to, but because that's the way I like it and I've never had a problem.

That's why it's a slider food - if you eat something with a lot of Fluid, it goes down much easier. If you're drinking with your meals, it kind of makes everything into slider food. That's why they tell you not to do it, not because it causes pain.

Since you're getting stomach pains with milk, could you be developing lactose intolerance? (That sometimes happens after WLS.)

Another possibility could be that the combination of Cereal and milk is causing you to swallow more air. When I swallow air, it feels pretty painful. I've learned how to pound on myself like burping a baby to relieve it. 😂

I eat Cereal and milk, but I take a small spoonful of cereal and dip it into milk. I use fair life milk, though, because it's lactose free. Voila, no more stomach pains for me. Maybe give it a try if you want to stick with real milk? Almond milk is also a good substitute, and tastes pretty good.

I have rolled oats & lactose free milk every morning. (Used to alternate with eggs from early on in my weight loss journey but I’ve become a little tired of eggs at the moment.) I use quite a bit of milk probably 50% more than they say. I found it more filling & I get in more Protein. No issues with eating it or with the extra fluids.

I rarely eat Cereal, but when I do, I use unsweetened almond or unsweetened cashew milk. I really don't have to deal with much liquid because my go-to cereal when I do eat it is Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal, and it gets soggy pretty quickly (which I love, actually...)

I’m 9 months out. I had Cereal with unsweetened almond milk for 1st time last week. No problem going down. I’ve avoided cereal all this time as thought this is something we really shouldn’t eat. Yet I’m seeing that some of you are eating it. How does this work into our plan? Should I continue to avoid this? I’m now confused about eating this. Thanks for your input.

23 hours ago, MsMocie said:

I've been eating a lot of Cereal lately. Both because the dietitian wants me, and because - well it is a slider food for me and I need the calories.

I find myself eating the Cereal in dry form more often now, or I blend it in some yoghurt. I get pains if I eat it with milk or chocolate milk (yes, I use choccie milk on my cereal, because why not 😂). And it occurred to me that it might be because it is food + liquids in one- and some of us might know that foods and liquids sometimes does not blend well.

How do we eat cereals the common way ? Can we eat it the common way?

Most cereals are high in sugar so that may be upsetting your stomach

39 minutes ago, MIKEYY84 said:

Most cereals are high in sugar so that may be upsetting your stomach

I eat only a brand approved by the dietitian. It has no added sugar in it, also "green branded"

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Meadow76 said:

I’m 9 months out. I had Cereal with unsweetened almond milk for 1st time last week. No problem going down. I’ve avoided Cereal all this time as thought this is something we really shouldn’t eat. Yet I’m seeing that some of you are eating it. How does this work into our plan? Should I continue to avoid this? I’m now confused about eating this. Thanks for your input.

Some cereals/musli's are high in Fiber, which is a good thing. Some are also made from oats, rye or barely, which is one of the healthiest things one can eat. Others are made from cocoa, coconut, quinoa and nuts. Also very healthy.

I eat cereal because I need to add 1000 cals to my daily diet and it helps me without actually increasing the volume to much. Because of some issues I only eat about 300-400 cals on average on my own so for me this is planned out to help me so maybe I can at some point do something without fainting.

Because of the fiber, it also helps regulate the bowel movements.

Generic cereals are usually high sugary and should be avoided. But the whole grains one, musli's and granola you can try. In Norway we have the healthier ones branded. Key-hole branded with green key. They are approved by the government as good for you. Currently I am snacking on a granola with cocoa, almond and coconut. See what you can find without sugar with a higher fiber content.

Edited by MsMocie

2 hours ago, Meadow76 said:

I’m 9 months out. I had Cereal with unsweetened almond milk for 1st time last week. No problem going down. I’ve avoided Cereal all this time as thought this is something we really shouldn’t eat. Yet I’m seeing that some of you are eating it. How does this work into our plan? Should I continue to avoid this? I’m now confused about eating this. Thanks for your input.

my plan didn't make a big deal about carbs - they were more of a balanced plan than an ultra-low carb plan, as many are. BUT....I never had cereal until I was in maintenance mode, and even now, I don't have it very often. Maybe a couple of times a month. And mostly when I'm backed up and need the extra Fiber (I eat Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal)

6 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I rarely eat Cereal, but when I do, I use unsweetened almond or unsweetened cashew milk. I really don't have to deal with much liquid because my go-to Cereal when I do eat it is Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal, and it gets soggy pretty quickly (which I love, actually...)

Ahh, so you let it soak up most of the milk? Because I don't do that, I pour on, and eat before it has gotten soggy enough to have soaked up the milk

Just now, MsMocie said:

Ahh, so you let it soak up most of the milk? Because I don't do that, I pour on, and eat before it has gotten soggy enough to have soaked up the milk

I don't necessarily *want* to eat it that way, but it soaks up milk like a sponge! (I don't mind it, though...)

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I have rolled oats & lactose free milk every morning. (Used to alternate with eggs from early on in my weight loss journey but I’ve become a little tired of eggs at the moment.) I use quite a bit of milk probably 50% more than they say. I found it more filling & I get in more Protein. No issues with eating it or with the extra fluids.

Do you eat oats like a Cereal? Do you let it soak up before you eat it?

9 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

I eat Cereal and milk, but I take a small spoonful of Cereal and dip it into milk. I use fair life milk, though, because it's lactose free. Voila, no more stomach pains for me. Maybe give it a try if you want to stick with real milk? Almond milk is also a good substitute, and tastes pretty good.

Yes, I am gonna try lactose free milk to make sure. I notice that on other dairy I do better with the vegan options than the regular so maybe I am one of those that develop lactose intolerance after WLS.