Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery I would take a normal bariatric Vitamin after getting pregnant I started the one for pregnancy bariatric patients and now my B12 is really high it’s 1354 pg/ml. Has anyone had the issue of it being to high?

yes - mine's always high - at one time was over 2000. The surgeon just shrugged his shoulders. I don't think having a high B12, if other things are normal, is a huge concern (evidently...)

Edited by catwoman7

Sorry for the late response I never get notified when someone comments but thank you that makes me feel better 💙

B12 is a water-soluble Vitamin that's safe even at high doses. It has a low level of toxicity because the body excretes whatever it doesn't use through the urine.

I just had my blood tests done and my leveled of B-12 are high and it scares me. I haven’t talked to the doc yet about my results. I take a sublingual b-12 5000 MCG from costco everyday. I’m going to ask if I should stop or only take it every other week vs. daily. My ferritin is high too so now I’m really concerned.

8 minutes ago, Minnie77 said:

I just had my blood tests done and my leveled of B-12 are high and it scares me. I haven’t talked to the doc yet about my results. I take a sublingual b-12 5000 MCG from costco everyday. I’m going to ask if I should stop or only take it every other week vs. daily. My ferritin is high too so now I’m really concerned.

high B12 is usually not a problem. Mine is always over 1000, and the surgeon basically just shrugs. It went over 2000 once, though, and he just said to cut back a bit on my supplement since I was clearly absorbing it well and didn't need that much. But he's never had a problem with it being high otherwise (I don't think he had a "problem" when it was over 2000, either - but it was a waste of my money to continue taking it at the level I was originally taking it at).

I know some long term vets like their B12 levels at at least 800 because they feel better when it's on the high side...

Just now, catwoman7 said:

high B12 is usually not a problem. Mine is always over 1000, and the surgeon basically just shrugs. It went over 2000 once, though, and he just said to cut back a bit on my supplement since I was clearly absorbing it well and didn't need that much. But he's never had a problem with it being high otherwise (I don't think he had a "problem" when it was over 2000, either - but it was a waste of my money to continue taking it at the level I was originally taking it at).

I know some long term vets like their B12 levels at at least 800 because they feel better when it's on the high side...

P.S. How high is your ferritin level? Mine is often around 300 and my clinic has never expressed any concern about it.

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

P.S. I wouldn't worry about any of this - if the surgeon thinks your B12 and ferritin levels are too high, he/she will just have you cut back a bit on your supplements. But depending on how high they are, they may not be a problem. Mine never were, and mine are always high.

31 minutes ago, Minnie77 said:

520 ng/mL

ignore my original response to this (that 520 was low) - I thought you were talking about B12. With that, up to 700 or 900 (depending on how they measure it) is normal.

520 for ferritin is high, but I'm not sure if it's a problem or not. Your surgeon will let you know and have you cut back on your supplementation if necessary.

Edited by catwoman7