Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Expected limitations in first few months of recovery?

Hello. I am concerned about the limits I need to place on myself during recovery. My daughter is pregnant and I am supposed to throw her a baby shower about three months after I have the gastric bypass. Am I out of my mind? Should I have someone else do the baby shower? I’m happy to pay for everything I just fear I won’t have the stamina to carry out the duties of baby shower hostess. Any suggestions?

Barring any (statistically unlikely) complications, you should be perfectly fine to host a baby shower at 3 months out (and party all night long, lol)

1 minute ago, ms.sss said:

Barring any (statistically unlikely) complications, you should be perfectly fine to host a baby shower at 3 months out (and party all night long, lol)

I was thinking I’m going to be fatigued from the rapid weight loss. I just don’t want to say I’ll do it then be a dud at the party. :)

8 minutes ago, perfektlynrml said:

I was thinking I’m going to be fatigued from the rapid weight loss. I just don’t want to say I’ll do it then be a dud at the party. :)

Ah, I have read some posts on here of people feeling tired months out...I guess you won't know if you will be Team-Tired until you get to that point? Though if you are worried, and want to hedge your bets, you could always let your daughter know your position so that an alternate host can be secured? Or maybe you could co-host?

P.S. I was/am part of Team NOT-Tired, despite the rapid weight loss. I had quite a bit of energy after the first couple weeks, more than I ever had in years (and still do actually)

Edited by ms.sss

2 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Ah, I have read some posts on here of people feeling tired months out...I guess you won't know if you will be Team-Tired until you get to that point? Though if you are worried, and want to hedge your bets, you could always let your daughter know your position so that an alternate host can be secured? Or maybe you could co-host?

P.S. I was/am part of Team NOT-Tired, despite the rapid weight loss. I had quite a bit of energy after the first couple weeks, more than I ever had in years (and still do actually)

I hope that happens for me. I am napping quite a bit during the day at the moment.

I'm 3 months out - my energy came back at about 2 months. Just a data point.

Congrats on your coming grand baby.

Why not get a co host? Is there another family member or close friend you can work with to organise & manage the shower? This will take some of the pressure & concerns off you.

I was a bit erratic with my recovery re general energy levels. I’d feel super fine for a couple of weeks & then my energy levels would drop for a few days or week or so.

31 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Congrats on your coming grand baby.

Why not get a co host? Is there another family member or close friend you can work with to organise & manage the shower? This will take some of the pressure & concerns off you.

I was a bit erratic with my recovery re general energy levels. I’d feel super fine for a couple of weeks & then my energy levels would drop for a few days or week or so.

Thank you on the congrats. The baby was my deciding factor in choosing to go through with Bariatric surgery. I want to be able to run after my grand baby! I ended up telling my daughter to have her best friend in charge with me as the secondary person. So it looks like that will be the case. :)

Congratulations on your new grandchild!!! I think you will be fine to host. I was a member of the tired club (2 naps a day for the first couple months), but even I could have handled hosting a baby shower 3 months out. The pure excitement and adrenaline will have you bright eyed and chipper on the day of the event!

You could always ask her for a guest list now, and start addressing the invites, etc, so they are ready to mail when the time comes. Start menu planning, decorations, etc early too. By the time the shower gets here you'll be one proud (thinner) grandmom!!!

Perfectly fine I was back to normal within a month post OP

16 hours ago, perfektlynrml said:

Hello. I am concerned about the limits I need to place on myself during recovery. My daughter is pregnant and I am supposed to throw her a baby shower about three months after I have the gastric bypass. Am I out of my mind? Should I have someone else do the baby shower? I’m happy to pay for everything I just fear I won’t have the stamina to carry out the duties of baby shower hostess. Any suggestions?

Congratulations! I'm a grandma too and want to keep up with the little ones so I had the surgery. I figure any post-surgery fatigue can't be any worse than the " fat body" lack of energy that I've suffered from for years.

On 6/16/2020 at 8:01 PM, perfektlynrml said:

Acknowledging that we’re all different, let me say I’m currently 3 months post op gastric bypass, and would LOVE to be throwing a grand-baby shower TODAY!! Around 6- 8 weeks post op, I admit I was on here asking when energy returns?😥 My brain would have been fine and keen to be planning, but not running around town chasing the shower items..energy was just not there.

But today, 3 months? Honey I’d be dancing Happy Shower Dance! Sounds like you’ve made perfect decision in taking second seat to daughter’s BFF, you’ll still be a major help. I hope you look forward to feeling marvelous and filled with Joy at your precious moment grand-baby shower!👶💝