Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s getting real...

So I finally made the decision...I had been contemplating surgery for years. I am 34 years old and have struggled with weight since I was about 10 years old. Up and down...up and down...then regain of more than I lost each time. Every diet you can think of. You all know the list! In 2011 I started going through the insurance process for weight loss surgery. I had lost 95 lbs on my own (with phentermine help) and started going to support groups and such. I had gotten down to about 290 from 380-385. However, while I was in the process (before being approved) - my insurance stopped covering weight loss surgeries. They have not covered it since.

Well, you guys know the routine...after that, I started gaining a little weight back here and there...by 2014 I had gained back probably 50 lbs. Then fast forward to 2019 I got way past the initial 95 lbs. lost and started gaining rapid weight. I went to the doctor and was shocked to find I had gotten to 502 lbs! I was horrified at that number and literally thought I was about 430, as I had basically stopped weighing...I just KNEW it had to be an error and even asked to be re-weighed. In August 2019, I started doing Keto and by January 2020 - I had lost 86 lbs...back down to about 417. Much better than 502, but so far to go. Well, during quarantine I have re-gained about 30 lbs back and again was so mad at myself. I had a morbidly obese friend pass away suddenly at 35 years old, a few weeks ago. She was probably about 700lbs+ and I had always worried about her health. This was a wake up call for me...I have had many before, but this one really hit home.

So, I decided...I will no longer let insurance decide my fate. I will FIND A WAY to finance this myself. I contacted a recommended surgery group in Atlanta that some friends had good experiences with. Last week, I met with Dr. Lytle from Northside Hospital/Bariatric Innovative Solutions of Atlanta. We had a great meeting about surgery. He feels I am a great candidate for gastric sleeve. I also met with a nutritionist and she has recommended a pre-surgery diet. My next steps are EGD and psych evaluation. I also have to meet with the nutritionist again in July and another meeting with the surgeon in August. If all goes well by August, I will be approved for surgery! I have also secured a loan and the money was deposited today. No-one or nothing is getting in my way of this! I know this is what I need to help me! It seems unreal. I am already thinking about all of the things I will be able to do once I lose weight - that I have been physically limited from doing over the years. I want my life back. I am not nervous about the surgery. I am more nervous about not getting approved / something getting in the way. Is that normal to stress about that part? Thanks for letting me share my journey (so far) with you all.

What a great story you have. You are young and it is great that you are changing your life and your health for the better. I wish the very best for you--please keep us posted on your journey. You got this!

ps I am sorry about your friend.

Edited by JRT Mom

On 6/15/2020 at 8:46 AM, Chris1345 said:

So I finally made the decision...I had been contemplating surgery for years. I am 34 years old and have struggled with weight since I was about 10 years old. Up and down...up and down...then regain of more than I lost each time. Every diet you can think of. You all know the list! In 2011 I started going through the insurance process for weight loss surgery. I had lost 95 lbs on my own (with phentermine help) and started going to support groups and such. I had gotten down to about 290 from 380-385. However, while I was in the process (before being approved) - my insurance stopped covering weight loss surgeries. They have not covered it since.

Well, you guys know the routine...after that, I started gaining a little weight back here and there...by 2014 I had gained back probably 50 lbs. Then fast forward to 2019 I got way past the initial 95 lbs. lost and started gaining rapid weight. I went to the doctor and was shocked to find I had gotten to 502 lbs! I was horrified at that number and literally thought I was about 430, as I had basically stopped weighing...I just KNEW it had to be an error and even asked to be re-weighed. In August 2019, I started doing Keto and by January 2020 - I had lost 86 lbs...back down to about 417. Much better than 502, but so far to go. Well, during quarantine I have re-gained about 30 lbs back and again was so mad at myself. I had a morbidly obese friend pass away suddenly at 35 years old, a few weeks ago. She was probably about 700lbs+ and I had always worried about her health. This was a wake up call for me...I have had many before, but this one really hit home.

So, I decided...I will no longer let insurance decide my fate. I will FIND A WAY to finance this myself. I contacted a recommended surgery group in Atlanta that some friends had good experiences with. Last week, I met with Dr. Lytle from Northside Hospital/Bariatric Innovative Solutions of Atlanta. We had a great meeting about surgery. He feels I am a great candidate for gastric sleeve. I also met with a nutritionist and she has recommended a pre-surgery diet. My next steps are EGD and psych evaluation. I also have to meet with the nutritionist again in July and another meeting with the surgeon in August. If all goes well by August, I will be approved for surgery! I have also secured a loan and the money was deposited today. No-one or nothing is getting in my way of this! I know this is what I need to help me! It seems unreal. I am already thinking about all of the things I will be able to do once I lose weight - that I have been physically limited from doing over the years. I want my life back. I am not nervous about the surgery. I am more nervous about not getting approved / something getting in the way. Is that normal to stress about that part? Thanks for letting me share my journey (so far) with you all.

Hi! I am with the same group (except Dr. Gorjala). My surgery is Thursday (sleeve). So feel free to ask any questions - hopefully I will have a few answers before this is all over. I can help lead you to some good options on the psych (trust me, this I know really, really well 🤓). Anyway, good luck to you and damn the torpedos! 😊

I am also having my surgery on Thursday

Edited by StaceynHorton

I have my EGD w/ biopsy on Friday. They are requiring me to get a COVID test on Wed.

Congratulations on your decision! I, too, was self-pay sleeve three weeks ago and I was initially nervous about something going wrong like what if I text positive for covid or what if they find another health issue, etc. It's totally normal and let nothing Detour you. It's your time to really live your best life.