Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crushing pills post-op.

How long did you guys have to crush your pills after surgery? In my reading I've heard anywhere from two weeks to 6 months. I'm sure I'll do whatever my Dr. says to do, I'm Just curious what you were told???

I never had to crush my pills. I was taking regular pain pills in the hospital which were about the size of a Tylenol "caplet".

I did NOT take my regular "horse-pill-sized" Multivitamin or Calcium for at least 6 months. Not because my doctor told me not to, but for peace of mind. Instead, I did chewables.

I chew my pill rather than crush them lol. But, I have EOS so that's why I still have to. After I have my throat stretched again I'll be able to swallow them like a normal person. They told me a month after surgery it was okay to swallow pills again, but every doctor is different...

I was swallowing all my pills whole (except for those Calcium horse pills and my Ursodiol) as soon as I got home from the hospital. I got some calcium chews to have instead of the horse pills. With Ursodiol, I think the PA at my surgeon's office said it would be fine to hold off on that for a week or two (although it's been a few years, so I don't remember). At any rate, I never crushed any pills.

1 hour ago, NovaLuna said:

I chew my pill rather than crush them lol. But, I have EOS so that's why I still have to. After I have my throat stretched again I'll be able to swallow them like a normal person. They told me a month after surgery it was okay to swallow pills again, but every doctor is different...

You chew your pills, don't they taste terrible? I couldn't imagine. 🤮 I'll stick to crushing them.

The calcium chews are pretty good. The chocolate one I have tastes like a Tootsie roll.

I did it two weeks because I didn't clarify the time period w/my doc so when I went to see the doctor on my two week appt -- he said I only needed to do it for one week. It seems a lot of things depend on the surgeon..

Edited by Lanie992

Hopefully you will get a straight story from your surgeon!

My surgeon didn’t say a word about the meds nor did his staff. Yesterday (surgery is Thursday I picked up a packet at his office and was reading it last night and it said I should check with my physicians about chewable and liquid meds. What? Little late. So I called three times today, the only call back she just left a message saying to call THEM back (didn’t answer the question 😡) and the rest of the day I got the answering service. Great. Hate not being able to really feel confident in my surgeon (he also said no liquids, hospital said chugging Gatorade 2 hours before...).

Then I took in my post surgery prescriptions to Walgreens and and guess what? They’re all pills! Whatever, this guy needs to get his stories straight. 🙄

Edited by AlwaysCruising

The nurses gave me Tylenol and acid reducers to swallow within a few hours of waking up from surgery. I haven’t had any issues so far, except that I have to actually take them one by one now. I used to just take all my daily meds in one mouthful with a big swing of Water.

9 hours ago, colormehappy said:

The nurses gave me Tylenol and acid reducers to swallow within a few hours of waking up from surgery. I haven’t had any issues so far, except that I have to actually take them one by one now. I used to just take all my daily meds in one mouthful with a big swing of Water.

Haha my mother did that, I think I would choke!

I had my two week appointment today. I was told for 3 months to crush all pills. The only exceptions are capsules and chewables. So there you go.

I ordered a pill crusher today just in case. Less than 10, better safe than sorry

Edited by AlwaysCruising

They gave me two of them in the hospital. I guess to drive their point home. Good luck on your surgery (today I think).

On 6/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, mattk53 said:

They gave me two of them in the hospital. I guess to drive their point home. Good luck on your surgery (today I think).

Gave you two? That was nice! Turns out I don’t need one for this, they were me pills to swallow first thing after. But honestly, they need to get their stories straight on this. Put we love furbabies who don’t like taking pills so I can thinking no matter what this will be handy. Plus, I could run into a problem myself.

And yes, my surgery was yesterday. And it is so sweet that you remembered! 🤗 I put a post about it on the June sleeves post, but in short I had no problems, nurses and staff were great, and my room was huge with a view of ATL (part of it at least). The liquids and pills were easy to get down and walking was pretty easy also. In face everything was so easy I jokingly asked if the actually took anything out LOL