Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about post-op energy levels...

Hi can anyone share some post-op techniques? I am so scared that I will not be able to eat just liquids for three weeks. Are you really not hungry after surgery? When does hunger come back.? I have three weeks of just liquids after surgery and I am afraid I won't have any energy...

I was on Just shakes for months personal preference with bypass literally didn't feel hungry

I did liquids only for two weeks post OP with the same 2 week pre-OP diet. This included shakes, sugar free or fat free versions of pudding, Jello, popsicles, Soup broth, gatorade, yogurt, milk. I was never hungry. Now I'm on puree foods including liquid diet items plus eggs, melted cheese or string cheese, mashed potatoes, yogurt, bananas, Peanut Butter, applesauce, lean ground meats like turkey, and cooked carrots. I'm reluctant to eat because I'm just not hungry, I keep to a schedule and make sure to get all the required Protein and fluids.

Regarding your question about energy levels, I found only consuming 700 to 1000 calories per day is great for weight loss but tough on keeping up my energy. I am recovering so I rest a lot and deal with feeling a bit weak. I'll change my diet to soft foods this Monday and increase my calorie intake. My most recent surgery was a revision to DS.

Keep in mind, the goal is to progress in stages to a reasonable, healthy, and sustainable diet. The liquid or puree diet should be discontinued on schedule as they will not meet your long term nutrition goals. By the soft food stage you should have a plan to get all your protein from real food. Avoid high sugar, fried, processed or refined foods. Avoid caffeinated, carbonated, or high sugar drinks. Consume only limited amounts of bread. Bread should be toasted. Select whole wheat. Protein Bars and Protein Shakes are not real food.

Well it worked well for me I didn't even feel like eating anything and I was satisfied with my shakes and didn't cause any problems for me but obviously everybody is different and that's perfectly fine

I had pretty much zero interest in food for the first five MONTHS after surgery - so yes, you'll make it through the first three weeks. Most people lose their hunger for the first few months after surgery (but not everyone - some people are hungry right away). There's a small percentage of people for whom hunger never comes back, but for most of us, it does sometime during the first year post-op (mine came back at five months out)

Agreed. Daily shakes definitely worked for you. My experience after getting sleeved was not getting the right nutrition. After a year, I relied partly on shakes and Protein bars. I felt light headed, weak, and didn't find pleasure in anything. I relaxed my diet, felt better, but gained weight. Prior to my revision I discussed this with my nutritionist and she recommended getting protein from natural sources instead. The benefit is that you eat a meal and have the dining experience. Shakes go quick and may not register as a meal to some people.

This forum is a great place to share our experiences and get information we may not get from the professionals.

It depends on the surgery you have too. From what I’ve read, it’s much more common for VSG patients to have hunger pangs post surgery, while bypass patients usually don’t.

I’m almost 2 weeks post VSG. I have been hungry, but it hasn’t been unmanageable. Some of it is just suggestibility, because my husband and sons are still eating as they normally would.

In my limited experience, starting drinking Water and Protein as soon as I get up helps manage my hunger throughout the day. If I get behind I feel weak and tired and it’s hard to catch up.

Edited by colormehappy

Yes I had RNY bypass didn't feel hunger for months

I wasn't hungry, but had zero energy. I took 2 naps a day for the first month! I feel great now though!!

I had RNY and my hunger came back at one month but it takes very little to satisfy it. A few nuts or a cheese stick will do if it isn't meal time.

19 hours ago, vgal said:

Hi can anyone share some post-op techniques? I am so scared that I will not be able to eat just liquids for three weeks. Are you really not hungry after surgery? When does hunger come back.? I have three weeks of just liquids after surgery and I am afraid I won't have any energy...

you're having major surgery which takes 6 weeks recovery so you won't have much energy anyway. But food wise you will go into ketosis and use your body fat for energy which can make you feel energized.

tyvm!!

Everybody is different. I had the sleeve and I was hungry right after surgery. It got much better at 1 week out when I found a Protein Drink I could tolerate (my tastes changed and I didn't like the ones I had used before the surgery). When I started on soft foods like eggs and cottage cheese, my hunger completely went away and I felt very satisfied.

I had gastric bypass on June 12 and I definitely have real hunger pains (meaning, not in my head). I'm at the pureed stage and it is hell. I worry I'm not getting in enough Protein, but I really cannot choke down another shake ugh. I experience fatigue everyday. I guess I don't really have any techniques to combat the hunger and fatigue yet, just wanted to share a different experience since I see most replies here didn't have hunger. :)

Edited by Tonip1127