Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss after sleeve

I’m 16 days out and have only lost 6.2 lbs since surgery. Any ideas on how I can start losing faster? I’m working out 30 minutes a day and eating soft foods and Protein Shakes that my doctor suggested.

I was also wondering they same thing. How fast does the wight came off? 7 days only 3 pounds. I don't know what I was expecting, I thought Id be lower at my first weigh-in.

What is your current weight? The lower the current weight the lower the weight losses. In addition to that, as we progress through the food stages there are typically stalls. Your surgeon's food plan progresses a little quicker than some and you may be experiencing a stall.

If you lost a lot of weight on the pre-op plan just before surgery your immediate post op weight loss is likely to be lower as well.

What working out are you doing? Walking?

All that said, 6lb is pretty good and shouldn't be discounted.

Surgery brings a lot of inflammation and Fluid (which adds extra pounds) it can take a while for all that to reduce. It can take a while for the weight loss to settle in.

Thanks Hop_Scotch

On 06/12/2020 at 19:51, Hop_Scotch said:

What is your current weight? The lower the current weight the lower the weight losses. In addition to that, as we progress through the food stages there are typically stalls. Your surgeon's food plan progresses a little quicker than some and you may be experiencing a stall.

If you lost a lot of weight on the pre-op plan just before surgery your immediate post op weight loss is likely to be lower as well.

What working out are you doing? Walking?

All that said, 6lb is pretty good and shouldn't be discounted.

I lost 21 lbs pre-op and currently at 208 lbs. I’m riding my stationary bike for 30 minutes a day.

When I got sleeved, I started at 327 lbs. Lost 20 lbs pre-liquid diet. Lost 40 lbs. in 30 days on the pre/post OP liquid diet. By the three month mark I was down to 240. By the one year mark I hit 209. This was all done with no exercise but my job kept me very active with walking, lifting, and climbing ladders. I kept active working around the home too.

First of all, we're all different and comparisons may not be helpful. If you must compare your progress with others, I believe you should calculate your Excess Body Weight on the surgery date and look at the percentage of that weight you have lost. Your excess body weight is your weight on the surgery date less your ideal weight for your height to be normal weight. Normal weight will be reached when your BMI is 25 or less. Some studies use a percentage of total body weight lost. Heavier people or people with more EBW have a potential to lose more pounds than smaller people.

I don't know your height, but I'll assume your ideal weight is 110. You lost 6% EBW in two weeks. Keep that pace and you'll hit your goal in less than 9 months! You'll be close to your goal by the end of the year.

My surgeon kept me on liquids for 2 weeks post OP, puree 2 more weeks, then soft foods 2 more months. If you can get all the Protein you require from real food, see if you can drop the Protein Shakes. They are a processed food. They served their purpose 2 weeks pre/post OP. When I got sleeved, I made the mistake of making meal substitution shakes and healthy granola bars part of my daily diet during the first year post OP. They taste good, require no preparation, and are consumed quickly. We can get better nutrition from real food. A diet based on real food will be the only sustainable diet long term.

some people come home from the hospital up to 10 lbs heavier from all the fluids they pump into you. Sometimes it takes a week to get back down to what you weighed when you went into the hospital. Just stick to your plan -- the weight will start to come off.

Thanks everyone! I just needed others perspective! I appreciate all the support!

Catwomam,

That does make sense I had a saline drip for 2.5 days strait. Its probably H2O weight. I don't feel that bad now.

I got my surgery 3 weeks ago yesterday, so 22 days ago. I gained almost 10 lbs in the hospital - I assume from the air they pump into your stomach plus the swelling.. I lost that within maybe 2 days, then went from 192 lbs to 177ish in a week to 10 days (sorry can't be more accurate - I didn't log this stuff so I am estimating)... now 22 days after the surgery -- I've only lost another 2 lbs. I've pretty much stayed 175lbs for the past 10 days (estimate)..

I've been upset about it, but I googled around...

Here is what I found - when your on the clear liquid diet your liver shrinks...and when you start drinking/eating things with substance...your liver expands back to its normal size. This can cause a "stall" around week 3.

The blogger said to be patient while your body sorts itself out. I am not sure how correct that info is, but if you google around -- it is not uncommon to have "stalls" in the first few weeks.

Let's keep this thread going with our progress...

Yes everyone Is different