Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Limbo (not the fun kind)

Sooo, I've been on a journey to get bariatric surgery for almost a year now. Like most of you, my surgery was postponed because of COVID.

However, after getting within 5 days of my surgery and starting my liquid diet, I've gotten word that it needs to be postponed again.

Little back story: I was born with a deformed valve in my heart and it was repaired at 4 weeks old. I had check ups until I was 18 and was told to seek help if I ever had symptoms of heart issues (shortness of breath, ankle swelling and consistent heart palpitations) I've not had any issues in the last 13 years, so I never needed to see a cardiologist. My doctor, after being told this hx wanted me to get cleared by a cardiologist before surgery.

I had an EKG and Echo this past week and after seeing my echo, the cardiologist said that they wanted to postpone the surgery to get me 100% cleared. After the EKG, the cardiologist cleared me, but wanted the echo for an updated.. however, my right side of my heart isn't pumping blood as strong as it should (because of the issues I was born with -- this was expected and I was told I would need heart surgery in my late 30s- early 40s -- i'm only 31) and the blood pressure in my lungs isn't 100%.. so after jumping through hoops and waiting an additional 6 weeks bc of covid, i now have to wait for who knows as much.. it's so discouraging and I called the bariatric center and the PA couldn't even tell me if the surgery would be postponed because he didn't have the echo info in front of him. And according to my friend who is a doc, my issue isn't something that can be fixed over X amount of months.. but by surgery, but I don't have major symptoms so heart surgery isn't on the table.

It's just so disheartening to have to wait all over again when I've worked so hard w/my work and family, and myself to get myself to a place where I am prepared and ready.. but again have to wait. any sort of words of encouragement would be helpful, or anyone else who has gone through something similar would be great. just reaching out for support.

Edited by chunkarella
typos

How disappointing for you. Hopefully it is all resolved quickly once the surgeon knows the results of the echo.

I couldn’t put up anymore with the red tape my insurance gave me and I went to Oasis of Hope in Tijuana. Amazing care and professionalism all around.
I’m home 5 days out. I was so depressed with all the waiting and red tape my insurance gave me, I just went about it differently.

Mine was postponed twice and it ended up taking 15 months from my first consultation to my surgery date. My advice is hang in there and keep your eye on the prize. You'll get there.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I ended up having my second cardiology appointment today (it was scheduled for an hour after my original surgery was scheduled.. the irony) but the doctor was sympathetic and super awesome. He was knowledgeable about my condition and cleared me for surgery. He saw where my heart was functionally okay to withstand surgery. He was really excited about my case and gave me some good information and wants to follow up with me. I think it was good that I got all this info because it gives me more faith in doctors where I live and I think I have a solid cardiologist now.. which is awesome bc I guess I'll be needing heart surgery in the next 10 years or so.

Honestly, I've thought about going to mexico, but I don't have anyone who would travel with me so that is kind of out. I would travel by myself but you can't do that. I do love traveling and wouldn't care to try the Medical Tourism because I feel like the insurance nonsense is so horrible. I've seen some amazing transformations (not bariatrics) from Japan and they take great pride in their work and you don't have to go for follow up after follow up like you do in the states. I'm on the hook for $900 for pre-op testing.. which sucks because I thought my insurance would cover that.. but in the end, it's all for my health.