Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The big girl clothes

So...the big girls clothes. You know the ones, your safety clothes that fit you when you were heavy. You keep them around "just in case" and because "it is a shame to throw away perfectly good clothes".

I do not in the least lack clothing. I have never in my life had so many items fit me at once as I have now. Most of it is because I kept the little girl clothes from last time I dropped weight and because I have bought new clothes that I found nice without trying them on, and they were way to small for me. And some because I just can't handle wearing tents anymore. I just had to say that it is ridiculous that one person should have 3 closets full of clothes when only a fraction gets to be worn.

So I did it. I cleared out. Now I have things that are becoming a little to big, things that fit, and things that are still a little to small. I had to be tough on myself, saying that I don't need the big clothes anymore. They are just a security blanket "in case" I should gain weight. And that is actually a problem. Because if I have clothes, what is really to stop me if I gain weight? Why do I plan for getting fat again? It makes no sense.

I still have a ridiculous amount of clothes. And I probably won't use half of it until most of it is to big, again.
Ladies, motivate yourself and clean out your closet. Your big girl clothes are holding you back giving you false security. You don't need them anymore.

***In the essences of being environmentally friendly, if you have them altered to fit you, that is fine. Or if you use the fabric for something. But keeping them "in case", no. Give them away or sell them.

Due to COVID19, I pretty much wear leggings everyday, so it was only recently that I started figuring out which clothes are way too big. I've tossed a bunch of old bras and bathing suits, and need to start putting some Goodwill boxes together!

5 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Ladies, motivate yourself and clean out your closet. Your big girl clothes are holding you back giving you false security. You don't need them anymore.

Yesssss girl! I cleaned out my stuff before I moved to VA and now I need to clean out again because I have lost even more weight.

Please, ladies, consider donating your old clothes to a local women's shelters. They have had an influx of clients due to the virus and victims being forced to stay with their abusers full time. I cannot emphasize to you how much women's shelters help the community. I have personally experienced the security and assistance they provide.

I gave most of my nicer things to a friend who is my old size and gave away 3 loads to women on my neighborhood support group who were those sizes, sold a few things on eBay, and donated the rest. Now I can't go up a size.

I was planning on buying used closed while I drop weight but they are all closed. Any suggestions? Maybe just some cheap leggings and t-shirts from Walmart?

I, honestly, don't know what to do with my old clothes... They are 6xl and I'm now in a 2xl. I don't know ANYONE who was as big as me or else I would just give them the clothes. Though my Mom and I were joking about giving some of my shirts to my sister when she gets further along in her pregnancy. I don't know if that would work, but maybe as she gets BIG! She's only 5 months along right now, but looks like she's about 8 (she was a between a xl and 2xl before her pregnancy). My sister is still convinced she's having twins lol since the doctor has only done one sonogram and she was only two and half months at that time and she's bigger now than she was with my youngest niece who's only a year old (16 months if you want to get technical). And my sister had lost her pregnancy weight after Madi was born. But still, I wouldn't know what to do with the pants. Heck, I still have pants from high school that I dug out when I started to lose weight, but even those are too big now and I had to highjack some clothes from my mom! 😅

1 hour ago, It's time. said:

I was planning on buying used closed while I drop weight but they are all closed. Any suggestions? Maybe just some cheap leggings and t-shirts from Walmart?

Cheap leggings and some tank tops if you feel comfortable with it. It is just a waste of money and resources to buy much while loosing. Even though it is fun, especially if you have never been able to buy clothes in regular sizes.

23 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

I, honestly, don't know what to do with my old clothes... They are 6xl and I'm now in a 2xl. I don't know ANYONE who was as big as me or else I would just give them the clothes. Though my Mom and I were joking about giving some of my shirts to my sister when she gets further along in her pregnancy. I don't know if that would work, but maybe as she gets BIG! She's only 5 months along right now, but looks like she's about 8 (she was a between a xl and 2xl before her pregnancy). My sister is still convinced she's having twins lol since the doctor has only done one sonogram and she was only two and half months at that time and she's bigger now than she was with my youngest niece who's only a year old (16 months if you want to get technical). And my sister had lost her pregnancy weight after Madi was born. But still, I wouldn't know what to do with the pants. Heck, I still have pants from high school that I dug out when I started to lose weight, but even those are too big now and I had to highjack some clothes from my mom! 😅

Are you able to make them available on Facebook, craigslist or ebay? Or give them to a women's shelter, a flea market etc? Not all are comfortable adding up an add with clothes and their sizes on facebook etc. But I guarantee you that there are some ladies out there in need of clothing in that size.

I kept 2 pieces of nice fabric just because I started to learn to sew as my new project. I probably won't do anything with them when the interest of sewing falls in a day or 3, but the thought is good, semi-good😂

eBay has been a FUN source for me during transition! Uber popular/pricey brands in smaller sizes but at ridiculously low prices! Feel like a kid in a candy shop😅...and perfect while stores are Closed/limited. Good luck!!

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Are you able to make them available on Facebook, craigslist or ebay? Or give them to a women's shelter, a flea market etc? Not all are comfortable adding up an add with clothes and their sizes on Facebook etc. But I guarantee you that there are some ladies out there in need of clothing in that size.

I kept 2 pieces of nice fabric just because I started to learn to sew as my new project. I probably won't do anything with them when the interest of sewing falls in a day or 3, but the thought is good, semi-good😂

Well, there IS a town marketplace on facebook where I could put the clothes up, but our county is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY tiny! Seriously. The biggest 'city' in our county has less than 5,000 (Not joking. Look up Tuolumne County, California. We're really small population size due to being in the mountains). So I don't even know if there is anyone that would even wear those sizes. The 26's yes because I have a co-worker that I plan on offering those clothes to once I'm cleared to go back to work, but the 32's and 34's? I don't know what to do with them! Also, can I just say that I find it hilarious that I skipped a bunch of sizes, because I was still wearing the 26's even when they got baggy because I didn't want to go out in public with the whole epidemic going on that I skipped a bunch of sizes and went right to size 20! 😁

Edited by NovaLuna

23 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

I, honestly, don't know what to do with my old clothes...

You can consider giving them to a women's shelter. I personally strongly recommend this option. However, if they are too worn, you can recycle them. There are usually clothes recycle bins throughout the community.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, It's time. said:

Maybe just some cheap leggings and t-shirts from Walmart?

I wanted to go shopping on my birthday (june 6th) for some new clothes from various thrift stores and Walmart. However, none of the dressing rooms were open and I don't know what size I wear anymore. Also, the Walmarts in my area are not accepting returns. I decided to shop on Amazon for a few things because they are still doing returns. :)