Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain 3 years post up (and during lockdown!)

Hi everyone,

I'm not usually very good at linking in on forums and other online communities, but I've logged in today for the first time since my roux en y bypass 3 years ago to see if there's anyone that has or is experiencing the same as me.

For the first time, I have put on weight and I am so disappointed in myself for letting myself go. I had phenomenal success following my op - I lost around half my body weight: Reducing from 23st 5lbs (327lbs) to 11st 5lbs (159lbs) over 18 months and actually had to eat quite a lot, albeit little and often, in order to keep my weight stable.

Since the coronavirus lockdown however I have been non-stop eating and as a result have gained a stone (14lbs). I'm 12at 5lbs (173lbs) now and my clothes are too tight. I can eat normal sized meals and constantly snack. Basically, once whatever I've eaten has digested I'm eating something else. I'm really worried I've stretched my pouch. Can going on a diet cause it to shrink back at all, even just a little? I'm considering a Keto diet because I do like high Protein and high fat (I'm crazy for butter!).

All responses are welcome. Thank you 😊

If you google tips for resetting pouch after WLS you’ll find some good information. You’re so not alone in having days like you describe during this pandemic. I’m trying to keep healthy foods prepped for “those moments”, things that I enjoy, are nutritious and are filling. Lately, 3 bean salad has fit the bill and a very small amount is satisfying. Mostly tho, first I’m trying to sip tea or something like that and work on my head. You’ve done this very successfully before, you’ll do it again, you’re aware! Good luck!

2D6F4D70-29A7-4FCB-9BC0-B840C1A2C9EB.jpeg

Same here but my problem is that I'm hungry all the time. I think a lot of us have been snacking more since we're stuck at home but I'm legit hungry all day long. I have no idea what to do about it. I havent gained more than 1-2 pounds yet but I feel it on the horizon. Pants are getting tighter

8 hours ago, dreamangel said:

Since the coronavirus lockdown however I have been non-stop eating and as a result have gained a stone (14lbs). I'm 12at 5lbs (173lbs) now and my clothes are too tight. I can eat normal sized meals and constantly snack. Basically, once whatever I've eaten has digested I'm eating something else. I'm really worried I've stretched my pouch.

Lockdown tested our coping mechanisms to the max. If you resorted to emotional eating during lockdown (i. e. maybe boredom or anxiety), work on that. In the end you're going to have better coping mechanisms than before.

You obviously were ok with how much and what you were eating before lockdown? If so, go back to what you've eaten before lockdown plus the same activity level. If you're lucky it should have some effect already.

Don't hop on the dieting merry-go-round again. Worst thing you can do.

1 hour ago, jasmineinmymind said:

Same here but my problem is that I'm hungry all the time. I think a lot of us have been snacking more since we're stuck at home but I'm legit hungry all day long. I have no idea what to do about it.

Did you have your pouch and anastomosis checked already?

Sweetheart only thing I can tell you is remember everything that you learned for those first 6 months prior to surgery I'm not sure where you live but if you're a costco member they have a lot of options for choosing the things that were supposed to allowed to eat but they're good like no GMOs baked whole wheat crisps with Protein in every single chip and I found a big bag of chickpeas for snacking salted awesome protein and I tell you something I have had the most horrific experience with my bariatric surgery I can't specify which one because I had to have two different ones and not at my fault at the hands of the first surgeon that messed me up so bad the story is unbelievable I look horrible the first 6 months I dropped all my weight from 233 lbs down to 168 way too fast everything that I ever had as muscle boobs at all lost I don't have the hanging sagging skin but I'm skeletal I had nice boobs I know I heard stories about people who finished the bigness of their breasts but not like this mine is like just skin and I have always had nice breasts never had to wear a bra and now because those are gone that's what makes me look so skeletal my bones are sticking out for my collarbone you can see my top rib cage Alex sucked up like I'm some kind of drug addict or something I am very very sad I even have age that's all it did for me is aged me I look as old as my mother within I'd say it's been almost 2 years January it will be 2 years and I'm still having trouble finding an attorney to take the case I've had to take it and drop it the first dropped it because he did not know enough about bariatrics II dropped because all he was concerned about is how much money has law firm would lose if he didn't win and he just lost a case with bariatrics 120000 a cost at this for me said but he want to previous to that that's here nor there I'm sorry going off track here but you need to remember having a little bit of weight on you 173 I would love to be back that way that's a healthy weight unless you don't carry it very well and it's too much fatty fat instead of muscle protein protein protein do you work out cram the protein after if you are able you can buy a kayak it helps build your arms standing in front of a wall and put your palms up on it and that back couple steps and just do push-ups on the wall start there those are reps but it's also building the further back the heart of the pushing and then maybe you can start getting lower and lower until you're on a park bench and you're doing them sit on a picnic table put your feet hooked up under the seat on the other side and do sit ups if you have the energy to do that you can do those pretty much at any park I know it seems like a lot I have a damn exercise bike at right out there and I know I need to be building my muscles I literally don't have any the only reason I have a little bit back in my legs because I had to go to Florida and help my son move up here and he had mega steps up and down up and down with all the stuff but anyway I don't know how much you weigh before hand but it is not worth stressing your pouch I've had the sleeve done and who knew people have different shaped stomach sometimes there's actually several different ones I pretty much flipped out when I googled it but he and all of the bariatric surgeons are mandated and required to check the shape of everybody stomach prior to surgery and he did not do that with who knows probably none of his patients the surgeon who fixed me said I don't know why he didn't but we do end they keep track of you for the rest of your life but that first surgeon he did the cut for my sleeve and my stomach dropped and twisted almost shut and he would not listen when I kept trying to tell them there was something wrong I was regurgitating most of everything that I took in and if I was not the kind of person that if I couldn't find out by the doctors and they had no clue that I'm going to start researching what's going on with me so I was lucky enough to find out about the importance of thiamine which is Vitamin B1 ... Because without that for specific amount of time and days there were two people same exact surgery that did not do the research and kept going back to the same idiot surgeon unfortunately in the hospice aim hospital and they both now cannot talk or walk and their in nursing homes ..I found an awesome surgeon that I knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix me but the only way to fix me is do a type of bypass but a shorter one okay but when he got into the side of me to do the surgery he said he could not believe how bad my stomach actually was twisted it was almost completely shut so he had to actually remove my stomach the rest of the stomach that was left from The cutting of the sleeve he said I should have never ever been offered sleeve because with the type of stomach I had there would have been no way to do it and I wasn't heavy enough at 2:33 really with my BMI to have a bypass and I wouldn't have had that anyway I wouldn't shows that I researched all my options prior to doing it begin with and that was not an option for me but in order for him to fix me that is the only thing that he was able to do and I had no choice so he made a itty bitty pause the size of an egg with the little part of some of the remaining sleeve before he had to remove it and I don't know how he did it but don't gain the weight this covered thing my personal opinion and I'm really sorry on some people don't agree I really don't share this much because it's not worth going into all stuff people it's kind of like talking politics LOL that's something you just don't do ... But I believe it's been blown out of proportion a little bit more then it needs to be maybe I'm wrong I do live in a small town in the country so it's not quite as bad as it is and I'm sure in certain States all that staying home and not working would have been necessary and doing it but not worldwide it just seems political it's definitely political... My point being don't allow the damn government to cause you to screw up everything you work so hard the gain or should I say lose... You've come too far before it gets too much more out of control if you don't want to search going up it goes fast and when you try to get it to go down it doesn't move so definitely protein vegetables fruit protein vegetables fruit avoid anything that has more than 9 grams of sugar in it and try to stay away from processed food just think healthy don't leave things out on your counter don't buy anything that you're not supposed to have at the store if you have the family that's going to be difficult but just try to remember using the small saucer for your portions anyway good luck with everything I've gone around John's barn on this one but sometimes we do that when we're talk texting lol stay safe much love good luck on your new life journey

11 hours ago, summerset said:

No. Do I have to go back to my surgeon for that? It cost me a fortune so I can't afford further surgey.

I really feel for you if you're hungry all the time. That's what I was like pre-op. All. Day. It was torture. I do get hungry now but it's not that 'throat cut' hunger that I used to get.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:56 PM, summerset said:

I did :(

They said everything looked "normal". From my own research I believe the problem is Leptin. They dont know why some people have too much or too little but having surgery most certainly didn't "remove the hunger hormones" as is sometimes reported. I was absolutely starving the first few days right after surgery and remained starving the entire 10 day liquid diet post op. Most people say after a 2-3 days on a liquid diet you lose your hunger but for me it was torture. I'd give anything not to be plagued by constant hunger