Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I slow myself down from eating too fast?

How can I slow myself down from eating to fast. I have always eaten fast, I have to slow down or I'm going to ruin my stomach. Now I'm stuck haven't lost anything for about a month and I know it's because I eat so fast I'm eating to much.

I absolutely share this problem. My hubs reminds and points it out to me constantly🙄. He is a slow, gracious savorer of his food, and he has also never had a weight problem. Hmmmmm.

Have tried to take thoughtful, slow and thorough bites/chewing, then setting the food/fork aside for a few minutes, enjoying my food instead of inhaling it, then repeat. No watching TV, computer screen, etc., for we lose focus and there we are...again.

These long time (bad) habits are not going away easily, nor overnight just because we want that. I believe with practice and focus, it will become the new norm our bodies will crave and feel better for, but it’s definitely going to take time and determination. AWARENESS is the first step and WE ARE THERE!

WE CAN DO IT!

Probably the only reason I don't have that issue is because I have EOS (it's an autoimmune disorder that causes narrowing in the throat and can cause choking) and because of that for the past few years I've eaten really, really, really slowly because choking freaks me out and after wayyyy too many ER visits with food stuck in my throat I finally got a clue. 😓

My advice, take smaller bites and chew your food to MUSH before swallowing. If you are eating foods that you don't need to chew (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.) then just take a small bite and then set the food aside for 30 seconds to a minute before taking another bite. Still keep with the small bites.

1 hour ago, NovaLuna said:

Probably the only reason I don't have that issue is because I have EOS (it's an autoimmune disorder that causes narrowing in the throat and can cause choking)

Get that fixed My mom did and so did i was a easy surgery.

as for slowing down I have seen people use plastic cups to seperate food and only get 1oz per 10 min on here

In the early months, I would use the timer on my watch. 2 bites, wait 10 minutes, another 2 bites....

(it took me FOREVER to eat, but it worked)

I have learnt my lesson from eating too fast, took twice to learn. It is really painful. So now without any effort - small bites, chew lots, wait a little while, start over.

7 hours ago, WInston223322 said:

Get that fixed My mom did and so did i was a easy surgery.

The only thing I can do for it is get my throat stretched... however, I had my weight loss surgery scheduled around the time it was due to be stretched again (every 2 years or so) so now my Gastro appointment isn't scheduled until mid-July and then I have to wait for them to schedule the upper endoscopy to stretch my throat... I'm not looking forward to it! Last time I had sooooo much pain in my upper back and chest from them stretching my throat that I cried! 😭

13 hours ago, ChattyKathie said:

How can I slow myself down from eating to fast. I have always eaten fast, I have to slow down or I'm going to ruin my stomach. Now I'm stuck haven't lost anything for about a month and I know it's because I eat so fast I'm eating to much.

Well how many calories do you think you're eating?

But you do have to train yourself to slow down... It took me a while but after throwing up a bunch of times I had to learn...

See I have never thrown up, sometimes if I eat to much I feel yukie. I even ask the doctor if he is sure he did the surgrey. Never no pain or anything. I had my surgrey Sept 2019 and have lost 70 pounds. I need to lose another 70.

My mum had the surgery too but only the once & the problem was fixed. We had a few scares with her choking before that.

Agree with watching the clock while eating, pacing your bites & putting your cutlery down between bites. I aim to take 20-30 mins to eat a meal. Gives your brain time to realise you’re satisfied or full. Also use smaller cutlery & dishes so your serves don’t look as small & each bite is less than on full sized cutlery. I also often ask myself if I really need that next bite.