Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How far out was your surgery date after insurance approval?

So I just finished my last doctor's supervised visit today and my scheduler is going to submit my information for insurance approval no later than Friday. My question is how long after insurance approval did y'all get your surgery date?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10+ using BariatricPal mobile app

After insurance approval? My surgery was scheduled about six weeks after the surgeons office got the approval, but their schedule was really packed at that time because everyone wanted to get their surgery in before the new year and so I got bumped to January...

Watching for answers 👀 @athea.lei I think I just followed you on ig! Lol although it’s interesting, my doctor is setting my date prior to my approval... anyone else have this?

Edited by danielleleigh90

Most ppl have a date then just wait for approval

Just now, Superman84 said:

Most ppl have a date then just wait for approval

Really? I think maybe it’s so strange to me because the doctor I was previously going to was sending me for approval prior to giving me a date

My surgery was scheduled about a month after I completed all the insurance requirements and likely BEFORE they actually sent for the insurance approval. I asked them about it because it made me a little nervous to be scheduled before we had approval, but they said they were THAT confident I would be approved. Of course, they made no promises, but since it hadn't been their first rodeo on it, I trusted their judgment.

The actual approval came in about a week before my surgery.

I had the surgery date before the paperwork was submitted to insurance. I was a little nervous about it, but the coordinators know what they are doing, and know that they will get the approval!

my date was set AFTER the insurance approval came through. It may have been about a month out, but I can't remember. Depends on your surgeon's schedule.

I was approved Monday. The called me yesterday and set my date for July 14th. The sent my packet in for approval and put a date for surgery for July 20th though. So whatever they put as a date is most likely not your actual date. I was told insurance approves more of there is a date.

Once completed the required "medically supervised weight loss," I had a tentative surgery date set. The info was then submitted to the insurance company and it took about 2 weeks for approval. The tentative date ended up becoming a scheduled date. That was nearly 6 months ago and I am down 61 lbs. Good luck to you on our journey!

It took about a week for me to be approved. My surgeon's office called on Monday and my surgery is scheduled for 6/29 at 5:30 a.m.