Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 06/01/2020 at 07:49, Brent701 said:

I chart my progress in a spreadsheet. For me it helps to visualize the rate of loss better. Weight fell off for the first 6 months without me even having to try I lost right at 100lbs. The next 7 months I have lost an additional 18 lbs and am now just 18 lbs from the goal weight. Expect the rate of loss to slow down as you lose weight as your body becomes more efficient. Its all about the amount of deficit you are putting your body into. When you are 120lbs overweight its easier to create that deficit compared to only 20lbs overweight. Its not realistic to expect the rate of change to remain constant.

You have to work harder and harder to lose at a constant rate the closer you approach your goal. So either work that much harder or be prepared to take the small losses and inch toward the goal. I hope this perspective helps.

image.thumb.png.b9f142856a8253d32cbc7cb88b314e37.png

Thank you! This perspective is very helpful ☺️

2 hours ago, Brent701 said:

I did my initial consult with plastic surgeon in mid Feb. Going to try to get insurance to deem it medically necessary because of the rashes being caused with the loose skin. My goal is to be at goal weight once I go in for the procedure and coming out of it I will be a good amount below it.

depends on how much fat you have left at that point. Skin doesn't weigh very much - I think I lost about 4 lbs, and I had a lot of plastic surgery (and not a lot of fat). If you have a fair amount of fat left, then yes - you could lose more.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

actually, at a certain point, you're going to have loose skin regardless of how fast or slow the weight comes off. If you've been significantly obese for awhile, that skin is really stretched. I don't know how much taking it off slowly will help, to be honest. If it does, it may not be by much.

A lot of it depends on age, too. People in their 20s and even their 30s to some extent still make a lot of collagen which makes the skin more elastic.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

depends on how much fat you have left at that point. Skin doesn't weigh very much - I think I lost about 4 lbs, and I had a lot of plastic surgery (and not a lot of fat).

Did your clothing size change significantly? (I don't want to spend another fortune on clothes tbh).

1 minute ago, summerset said:

Did your clothing size change significantly? (I don't want to spend another fortune on clothes tbh).

no - they just fit better

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

depends on how much fat you have left at that point. Skin doesn't weigh very much - I think I lost about 4 lbs, and I had a lot of plastic surgery (and not a lot of fat). If you have a fair amount of fat left, then yes - you could lose more.

Yep...my surgeon said he took off a whopping total of 400g (thats less than a pound), and i had an arm lift, breast lift AND Tummy Tuck.

I definitely LOOKED better though.

19 hours ago, middlet said:

Hw: 270
Sw: 258
Cw: 177
Gw: 140-150

I am just over 1 year post vsg and I have not hit my goal. My weight loss is VERY slow/stalled right now. I have been feeling extremely discouraged; however, I am still working very hard to lose the remaining pounds.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you change your diet to speed up weight loss? If so, how? What is your diet? What are your macros like?
Do you have any tips to help me reach my goal?

Thanks!

First, Pat yourself on the back! Sometimes it sucks to be patient but it's what the situation calls for.

19 hours ago, Shanto said:

Girl, you have lost almost. 100lbs in a year! Congratulations. I am the same starting weight as you and I am finding it much harder to lose then expected. I’m a newbie at this so I don’t have much advice. I hope I’ve lost 100lbs a year from now though!

That's exactly what I'm saying. My sleeve surgery in two weeks.

20 hours ago, middlet said:

It varies. 1000-1500

You may have to drop it some from there to speed things up. It is not unusual for some to maintain in the 1000-1200 calorie range, particularly women of average to below average height - it's just a metabolism thing. I would (and did) lose like crazy at that level, but that's a guy thing - I maintain well in the 2000-2200 range. To lose, try getting down into the 800 calorie range consistently and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, RickM said:

You may have to drop it some from there to speed things up. It is not unusual for some to maintain in the 1000-1200 calorie range, particularly women of average to below average height - it's just a metabolism thing. I would (and did) lose like crazy at that level, but that's a guy thing - I maintain well in the 2000-2200 range. To lose, try getting down into the 800 calorie range consistently and see what happens.

Yep...im 5’2” (female) and i didnt start eating over 800 until AFTER i was done weight loss...

28 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Yep...im 5’2” (female) and i didnt start eating over 800 until AFTER i was done weight loss...

Yeah, 6-800 is a common range that seems to work well for most from what I have seen over the years. But, if one is already used to eating more, it can be hard getting down that low as opposed to starting lower and maybe working up to that level.

On 06/01/2020 at 15:36, connect2carlee said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. My sleeve surgery in two weeks.

That’s awesome! Goodluck ❤️

I may have missed it, but is this a goal you came up with per your surgeon or only a personal goal? I ask because most people are unrealistic about the weight they will lose via bariatric surgery (according to the research). The expectation is that those with a sleeve will lose 50-70% of the excess weight (some lose less). So the likelihood for most of reaching a truly normal point is very low. That isn’t me being negative, those are the facts. So when you are judging yourself, just judge by realistic, fair standards.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysCruising said:

I may have missed it, but is this a goal you came up with per your surgeon or only a personal goal? I ask because most people are unrealistic about the weight they will lose via bariatric surgery (according to the research). The expectation is that those with a sleeve will lose 50-70% of the excess weight (some lose less). So the likelihood for most of reaching a truly normal point is very low. That isn’t me being negative, those are the facts. So when you are judging yourself, just judge by realistic, fair standards.

well, that's true. I did end up getting down to a normal BMI, but my surgeon said only about 10-15% of his patients make it that far. Research appears to back that statistic up. Although I do know a lot of people who have done it (mostly on this or other bariatric forums - it may be partially due to all the support we get here - and reading through threads every day may make it front & center in our minds all the time?? Not sure....). It does take a TON of work though. The first 100 lbs came off relatively easily (for me). The last 40 or so were torture.