Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making your own protein shakes on liquid diet

Hey everyone!

I start my 2 week liquid diet on 6/24, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. I know a lot of people use the ready to drink Protein Shakes, but I was wondering if anyone has any go-to Protein shakes they make on their own with Protein Powder. I usually make almost a smoothie with protein powder, with yogurt and fruit, but my nut told me I won't be able to add the fruit on the liquid diet. The thought of just adding protein powder to almond milk grosses me out for some reason, so I figured I'd ask for some suggestions. TIA 😊

Me! I do 3/4 cup plain 0% greek Fage with 2 TBS P2 powder (the Peanut Butter replacement) a few drops of chocolate Stevia and a couple ice cubes. It's 8 carbs and 24 grams Protein. Blends nicely and easy to drink. Some nuts say no dairy but mine didn't. She did advise no more than 5 carbs per drink but I've decided to live with it.

3 hours ago, Babydoll7387 said:

Hey everyone!

I start my 2 week liquid diet on 6/24, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. I know a lot of people use the ready to drink Protein Shakes, but I was wondering if anyone has any go-to Protein shakes they make on their own with Protein Powder. I usually make almost a smoothie with Protein powder, with yogurt and fruit, but my nut told me I won't be able to add the fruit on the liquid diet. The thought of just adding protein powder to almond milk grosses me out for some reason, so I figured I'd ask for some suggestions. TIA 😊

I've been using powder for months.. easy to use mix with Water sometimes a shot of coffee if needed.... But yes you can make smoothie or even make protein pancake.

Yes there are tons of ways to make your own - Use the liquid flavorings you can get online - Works great

My go to is the Peanut Butter Protein powder - Bannanna liquid flavor and Ice and Almond MILK - I have like 15 different liquid flavorings Got em on Amazon - Not sure why you Nut said you could not grind up fruit? Use fruit juice if you have to -

I used Unjury and Syntrax powders. The chocolate, vanilla, and latte ones I mixed with unsweetened almond milk. The fruity ones (from Syntrax) I mixed with Crystal Light lemonade. Unjury also has a chicken broth flavored one that you mix with warm (not hot) Water.

also, I played around with extracts, sugar free coffee syrups (like Torani), cinnamon, PB2, etc to mix up the flavors a bit

Edited by catwoman7

Yes, definitely. I had bought a bunch of pre-made Protein Drinks before surgery after I tried a few brands to see what I liked. But after surgery, I didn't like them anymore - mostly I found them ridiculously over-sweet. So I found some unflavored Protein powder (GNC Isopure whey Protein Isolate).

Right after surgery, I was using the unflavored protein powder to make protein pudding (for a little texture) and mixing it with broth (for something that wasn't sweet). You have to be really careful when you add it to hot foods, or the protein powder lumps up and turns disgusting, but it's doable with some practice.

Now that I'm 3 months postop and back on coffee and solid foods, I have my protein latte every morning. 1 cup of milk, espresso, with protein powder in the milk. Then I eat it with half a Protein Bar. With the milk, it's 28 g of protein before noon!

Another thing you could do after your surgery is just make your usual, but with a touch of juice instead of the fruit. It's the Fiber in the fruit that your stomach won't be able to handle for a while after surgery.

I've never really liked pre-made Protein drinks as they have a fake taste to them and are sometimes kind of slimy. I've always made my own, mostly because here in Japan pre-made shakes are pretty rare. I've settled on Syntrax protein powders because they taste the best to me and have 0 carbs and only 100 calories per serving. For the chocolate and vanilla flavours I use unsweetened almond milk and some kind of fruit (1/2 banana + PB2 powder for chocolate, usually 1/2c frozen berries for vanilla), which ups the carbs but it's the only fruit I have during the day. I also like the "juice" powders from Syntrax, like Roadside Lemonade and Wild Cherry. I just use Water for those but mix them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge as they taste best when really cold.

Edit: I was going to say I did not add fruit to my shakes pre-op, but before my first surgery (I've had two), I know that I did, except for the last week before surgery. For the second surgery I was not on a liquid diet, in fact was encouraged to eat a carb-heavy meal the night before surgery, so no help there. However, after both surgeries, I started adding fruit again to shakes at the 2-3 week mark. I've never had a problem with shakes that I make myself, and have one every day (usually for breakfast).

Edited by biginjapan

17 hours ago, WInston223322 said:

Yes there are tons of ways to make your own - Use the liquid flavorings you can get online - Works great

My go to is the Peanut Butter Protein Powder - Bannanna liquid flavor and Ice and Almond MILK - I have like 15 different liquid flavorings Got em on Amazon - Not sure why you Nut said you could not grind up fruit? Use fruit juice if you have to -

I think it's only for my 2 week pre-op diet that I can't add fruit, since I'm only supposed to be having liquids and Protein Shakes 🤷‍♀️

22 minutes ago, Babydoll7387 said:

I think it's only for my 2 week pre-op diet that I can't add fruit, since I'm only supposed to be having liquids and Protein Shakes 🤷‍♀️

The idea behind the pre-op diet is go low carb to help reduce the size of the liver, majority of fruit isn't low carb.

I don't thnk the surgeon would want you having fruit in your post op full liquid diet / shakes either, but then a lot of post op food plan phases vary significantly so who knows, but you will be able to clarify that with your surgeon/dietician.