Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is on the 8th and I am feeling super nervous about it all. It's not about the surgery itself as much as it is about the lifestyle changes that come with it. I don't have to even give myself a reminder as to why I am going through with this because my body is letting me know on a daily basis. However, food has been kind of my go-to for all my life. From grieving to celebrating, food has always been part of it. I am having a hard time thinking about what else there is to do.

Occasionally, I tell my husband that I would like to go on a date and it is almost always a dinner and movie scenario. I know we can still go to the movies and dinner, but I don't think I'd be happy with that anymore. I would be sitting in a place that smelled like the food I enjoy, knowing that I can't sit there and eat like I used to (regardless if I wanted to or not).

Those with a S/O from your fat days, what are dates like now? What do you do together? Any suggestions? My husband and I are a couple of nerds if that helps any.

the first few weeks are hard and we didn't bother going out at all. After that, I could eat things like shrimp cocktail or Soup or chili. And then once I was a few months out, I had a lot more options. Even now, I often order an appetizer - or I'll order an entree and eat half of it - or my husband and I will order one entree and a couple of salads or appetizers and just share everything.

At Mexican places I'd usually order fajitas and just focus on the meat and veggies (I'd eat about a cup of it). Now I usually order two a la carte tacos since I don't care about carbs anymore (the authentic Mexican ones with 4"-6" corn tortillas filled with just meat, onion, and cilantro) (although some people who are doing low-carb order tacos and just eat the innards)

Chinese places - I order something with non-fried meat and veggies, eat about a cup of that, and skip the rice.

I used to also just eat the toppings off a piece or two of pizza (now I'll eat the crust, too, but I usually just eat two pieces - I'm pretty full after that)

anyway, suffice it to say, it's really just the first few weeks that are hard - so we just didn't go out. After that, you should be able to find at least a couple of things on a menu that will work for you. And once you're even further out, you'll have a lot of options again. I can eat most anything now; I just don't have the huge portions I once did.

I dunno if I'd consider myself a vet yet (just a little over 1.5 years out), but me and Mr. still do everything we used to do (pre-pandemic), INCLUDING going out to restaurants/bars...I just eat less.

However, on top of our usual stuff, we also now exercise/work out together (before it was just him being active, and me being couch-potato-y). So i guess it was more me participating more with him on stuff he was already doing.

Although I did make him take salsa dancing lessons with me...that didn't last long, lol.

I also think working out is an awesome activity to do together. The key is to find something you actually like to do. Maybe explore a new hiking trail, go on a long walk in a scenic place, have a game night, or see a show together. I honestly have a hard time thinking of other activities because eating out used to be one of my favorite things in life, but this whole process has made me refocus. Like other posters have said, you will eventually be able to dine out, but I think it’s definitely a good idea to come up with activities that are not centered around food.

I am only a month post op and I've always loved food. Cooking it, eating it, and feeding people at gatherings. At first it was hard because you're all liquids and your significant other is eating food. I can tell you it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I've still enjoyed cooking for my boyfriend and son very much. And your stomach is so much smaller that even though you can't eat as much as you used to, to comfort yourself, you get full a lot faster. I have had food at restaurants, but it's just a smaller amount. My stepmom got the same surgery years ago and she always looks at the bright side for date nights she always has a to go box and has food for later. Just make sure you stick to what your dietitian and doctor and it will keep getting easier!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, we went on our first 'date' since surgery.. and it had nothing to do with food! We went to a zoo together! Lol It was actually a great time. It was a little bit driving around in some areas, and a whole lot of walking in other areas. I felt great that I could walk around as much as I did that day while enjoying nature!

I know this is an older post but I think it is a great topic. Resurrecting so newer readers can find it. I think food is the center of social life for so many that this topic is very important. There are options and they can be a great fit for our goals of living healthier lives while also strengthening relationships. Thanks