Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake Recommendations, Please

I've only used Premiere Protein Shakes and powder. It's beginning to taste odd to me. I'm looking for your fave alternate Protein shakes.

I have to do a liquid diet for several days before my pre-op colonoscopy, so I thought I'd try some new ones. I've heard of folks losing their taste for the Premiere shakes taste, Post-Surgery.

Thanks!

~Maura aja TheMoxieMama

I got to the point that whey Protein nearly made me gag. So, I switched to unflavored egg white protein. My favorite morning smoothie is frozen watermelon chunks, frozen strawberries, egg white Protein Powder and some crystal light strawberry flavor. Blend and yummy. The best part is it keeps me full all day

Protein Shakes, puddings, chips or bars is something one has to try. Tastes vary big time.

No idea what your dietician told you about Protein shakes. We were told that the powders should contain 80% protein or more during the 4 weeks post-op phase, the rest is a matter of taste.

Look into the body builder/sports nutrition online shops. These stores usually carry the biggest variety of protein powders and ready-to-drink shakes, both animal and plant based. They also usually sell these little single packages to try different flavors from one brand, e. g. you get 6 or 8 different flavors of whatever brand so you can try both texture and taste without having to spend a fortune on something that tastes vile in the end.

I just buy the Wal-Mart brand Protein Shakes in either vanilla or chocolate. I have a co-worker who had Gastric Bypass and she swears by the Slim Fast High Protein shakes (they're 20g protein) and her preference is the coffee flavored ones (Mocha Cappucino and Caramel Latte), but I haven't tried them because I don't like coffee...

4 hours ago, summerset said:

Protein Shakes, puddings, chips or bars is something one has to try. Tastes vary big time.

No idea what your dietician told you about Protein shakes. We were told that the powders should contain 80% Protein or more during the 4 weeks post-op phase, the rest is a matter of taste.

Look into the body builder/sports nutrition online shops. These stores usually carry the biggest variety of protein powders and ready-to-drink shakes, both animal and plant based. They also usually sell these little single packages to try different flavors from one brand, e. g. you get 6 or 8 different flavors of whatever brand so you can try both texture and taste without having to spend a fortune on something that tastes vile in the end.

I agree 100% with all of this.

I personally liked Unjury and Syntrax products (Unjury products are only available through their Web site; Syntrax can be found through a number of online sites (including the Bariatric Pal Store, I believe) as well as a few regular stores. But as Summerset said, YMMV. People's tastes are all across the board.

Tastes vary on this and be aware that your tastes may change after surgery.

I liked the Premier ready to drink shakes before surgery, but couldn't tolerate them afterwards. They were too sweet for me and the texture of them was just too thick and slimy.

My favorite is Unjury. As catwoman7 said above, they're only available through their website, but totally worth the minor inconvenience. They also have ready to drink. I think I got one or 2 in a combo pack or even as a sample and liked them much more than the Premier. Unjury also makes savory flavors, which I really appreciated because I got very tired of the sweetness.

I have discovered that I really like the Fairlife Nutrition Plan Protein Shake. This is the 30g Protein shake that is not in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. - it is with the other Protein Drinks on the shelf at Sam's Club. It tastes like chocolate milk. I am lactose intolerant, but I can drink these. There are 4 carbs in one shake,